New to OpenRA. Got a few questions.

Noob questions

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Natharias

New to OpenRA. Got a few questions.

Post by Natharias »

1. I found the map editor/creator. I am unable to load my own maps. How do I play my own maps? Is it an upload system, or do I have to save it to a different folder?

2. In the map editor, is it possible to edit any of the units like altering the rate at which ore mines generate ore?

3. Will a version of the original Command and Conquer Gold become available at any point?

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

1) The editor will load any maps from inside your "support" folder (in My Documents if you're running windows).

2) Not in the editor itself, but you can extract the map (rename .oramap to .zip and decompress) and then edit map.yaml using a text editor to change the actor properties.

3) It already is - "Tiberian Dawn" in the mod chooser, although like our RA mod it has been rebalanced from the original.

Natharias

Post by Natharias »

Sleipnir wrote: 1) The editor will load any maps from inside your "support" folder (in My Documents if you're running windows).

2) Not in the editor itself, but you can extract the map (rename .oramap to .zip and decompress) and then edit map.yaml using a text editor to change the actor properties.

3) It already is - "Tiberian Dawn" in the mod chooser, although like our RA mod it has been rebalanced from the original.
I know the editor can load maps, but can I make maps and play the maps I make with friends online? Or is this impossible at the moment?

Many thanks by the way, didn't realize that Tiberium Dawn was the one I was looking for.

Edit: I've been messing around in the editor some more and it seems the Blossom Tree is missing from the "cnc" mod.

I also see how I phrased my first question. I meant to ask about making and playing custom maps, not loading and editing already created maps.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

You can upload your map to http://content.open-ra.org/ to enable automatic downloads when a client connects to your host. Otherwise, you can send it manually and have the other players copy it to their <support>/maps/ra/ directory.

The C&C blossom tree looks like a regular tree in the editor. This is a side effect of the original artwork combined with limitations of the current editor (which will be replaced in an upcoming release).

Natharias

Post by Natharias »

Sleipnir wrote: You can upload your map to http://content.open-ra.org/ to enable automatic downloads when a client connects to your host. Otherwise, you can send it manually and have the other players copy it to their <support>/maps/ra/ directory.

The C&C blossom tree looks like a regular tree in the editor. This is a side effect of the original artwork combined with limitations of the current editor (which will be replaced in an upcoming release).
I've manually placed a map in the Program Files (x86)>OpenRA>mods>ra>maps using a "ra" mod listed from the top right drop-down menu within the editor. The map didn't show up, but I didn't make a folder to go with the map containing the ".lua", ".yaml", and ".bin" contents. I'll have to try that.

Many thanks!

Matt

Post by Matt »

Place it in %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\OpenRA\Content\maps\ra instead. The editor should not have write permission on Program Files (x86) on modern Windows systems.

scorp

Post by scorp »

are there different map formats? .oramap vs. map.bin and map.yaml in a zip? also, the .oramaps Show up for me but when trying to create a game on them, they crash?

ihptru

Post by ihptru »

scorp wrote: are there different map formats? .oramap vs. map.bin and map.yaml in a zip? also, the .oramaps Show up for me but when trying to create a game on them, they crash?
map file has extension ".oramap" which is zip archive which contains map.yaml, map.bin and can have additional files which extends map's functionality.

Just "crash" says nothing unless detailed crash info is provided here

Matt

Post by Matt »

The new http://resource.openra.net will show warnings on common mistakes if you upload your map there.

scorp

Post by scorp »

Sleipnir wrote: (rename .oramap to .zip and decompress)
i guess that's the info i was previously lacking/ignoring :lol:

chimas

Resolution

Post by chimas »

Hi,

I'm using this thread to introduce myself. Some folks at cnc-comm.com suggested me to take a look at openRA, so here I am. I've downloaded it, made a first look and haven't read anything yet. It was all today in 30m.

My first impression is: I'm a TD player, later when I have time to tweak around, will I be able to change the resolution to 800x600 (actually, my current preferred resolution is 880x660 using Nyerguds patch 1.6C)?

So, moving on, I keep the huge TD SP collection here and here.

I'm also at openRA interested in LUA coding (that will be painfull).
If I take too long to answer anything, PM me. I got severe time constraints at the moment.

Sds
Chimas

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Welcome chimas. If you'd like some help getting up to speed on how things work, your best bet would be to chat with us directly in our IRC channel (anyone with a + in front of their name are developers, and should know what they are talking about) -> http://openra.res0l.net/community/

OpenRA will usually run at your native desktop resolution, but you can enable pixel doubling to double the size (halve the resolution) of everything except the UI.

Our Lua scripting API is still at an early state, and is missing a couple of essential features like cell triggers and presenting objectives to the player. We plan on fixing these in the relatively near future, and it is still possible to do a lot without cell triggers.