FUMING!!!

Lag

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Hoj

FUMING!!!

Post by Hoj »

I love RA and OPENRA is awesome too.

I have just downloaded the latest build and surprise surprise the lagging issue has still not been fixed. What the hell is going on? You've added the MAD tank, changed the ticker sound (according to Albin) and created some stupid rule so I can't build where I want to (which should be optional), yet the lag has still not been addressed.

I play Openra with the lads, sometimes there's a group of us online and it ALWAYS starts to lag. We often play with AI and I've read that they can cause the lag but WHY? What is going on? Why can't this be fixed? It's only a tiny game from 1996, yet it lags worse that anything I've ever known in my entire life of gaming and PC usage. It should run perfectly smooth all the time.

Why does Openra run at 50 FPS most the time, if that. EJ runs at 500 FPS, so pretty and awesome. You should learn from EJ.

(btw Albin said the lag is because of bad programming, I wouldn't stand for that!)

Cheers lads, love the game!

EJ = Hedgewars
Last edited by Hoj on Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

folkilsk

Post by folkilsk »

Ye, the lag is immense. It's unplayable at times: it's a rule rather than an exeption. I don't know what's going on? For such a small game it shouldn't be any problem running at a constant framerate, without it dropping down to <20 on some fights then spiking back up to 60, jittering and stuttering. It's really a shame. I too love openra but this lag will be the downfall of the game.

Hoj

Post by Hoj »

folkilsk wrote: Ye, the lag is immense. It's unplayable at times: it's a rule rather than an exeption. I don't know what's going on? For such a small game it shouldn't be any problem running at a constant framerate, without it dropping down to <20 on some fights then spiking back up to 60, jittering and stuttering. It's really a shame. I too love openra but this lag will be the downfall of the game.
What can we do? It lags even without AI sometimes.

:cry:

folkilsk

Post by folkilsk »

Hoj wrote:
folkilsk wrote: Ye, the lag is immense. It's unplayable at times: it's a rule rather than an exeption. I don't know what's going on? For such a small game it shouldn't be any problem running at a constant framerate, without it dropping down to <20 on some fights then spiking back up to 60, jittering and stuttering. It's really a shame. I too love openra but this lag will be the downfall of the game.
What can we do? It lags even without AI sometimes.

:cry:
The devs need to focus on this issue, not just disregard our complaints or blame us or the maps. It's an issue with the game. I have played many other rts games and none lags like openra. Please, devs, focus on fixign the lag rather than adding useless things like mad tanks.

Hoj

Post by Hoj »

Let's hope the issue gets addressed soon. I'm sure openra could get outside help to fix the issue if the devs don't know how.

Matt

Post by Matt »

I have no idea what EJ is.

See https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/F ... ay-too-low if you want to help provide the necessary data to fix performance problems.

Hoj

Post by Hoj »

have you tried to fix it then? do you know what's wrong with it?

folkilsk

Post by folkilsk »

EJ=a stupid abbrevation of Hedgewars. Something must be seriously wrong for a game to drop to 2 frames per second like in some games we've had. Old red alert ran just fine.

Hoj

Post by Hoj »

folkilsk wrote: EJ=a stupid abbrevation of Hedgewars. Something must be seriously wrong for a game to drop to 2 frames per second like in some games we've had. Old red alert ran just fine.
It's not a "stupid abbreviation", it's what everyone calls it and was the code name the developers gave it.

The lag is unbearable but there's no point comparing to old RA because it's a completely different engine.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Most of the lag is caused by network latencies. A lot of data is sent between players in the late game, when players tend to have large armies. OpenRA (and many other RTS games) use a lockstep networking model (that link also explains the problems with desync errors), which has the drawback of requiring that all players finish simulating a world tick before the game can progress. If someone runs slow (due to e.g. a bad network connection, or slow machine) it will make the game run slow for everyone.

There were also some bad performance bugs in the 915 release, but they were fixed in 1223.

Matt

Post by Matt »

http://hedgewars.org is awesome, but they are creating a turn-based artillery game while this is about creating a real-time strategy game. That means higher network ticks, 100x more units firing/moving all at once and synchronized simulations.

We have winning back performance on our agenda. However these involve difficult parts of the engine (renderer and path-finding) only few people are able to work on.

ddd

Re: FUMING!!!

Post by ddd »

Hoj wrote: created some stupid rule so I can't build where I want to
This is not some stupid rule. If you were playing the game more you would notice that it was made to prevent base-walking spam.
Hoj wrote: It's only a tiny game from 1996, yet it lags worse that anything I've ever known in my entire life of gaming and PC usage. It should run perfectly smooth all the time.
You are wrong. It's not 1996 engine anymore. OpenRA is more like modern engine with features wich you didn't have in the original game. The AI of OpenRA doesn't cheat as it was in the original game. And so on.
Hoj wrote: Why does Openra run at 50 FPS most the time, if that. EJ runs at 500 FPS, so pretty and awesome. You should learn from EJ.
OpenRA actually runs 500 fps on a decent GPU/CPU if there's no any network problems/ AI lags. AI will have more fixing in the future. Kick/ban "lads" with big latency ingame or those who lags the game due to their ancient CPU power.

Hoj wrote: EJ = Hedgewars
The game you are talking about is usually called Worms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worms_%28series%29
And "Worms" is not multiplayer Real Time Strategy game at all.

folkilsk

Post by folkilsk »

"If you were playing the game more you would notice that it was made to prevent base-walking spam"

thing is, we call that powersnaking and we love it. I don't mind that change though. I guess we'llhave to hope for improvements in the future.

Hoj

Re: FUMING!!!

Post by Hoj »

ddd wrote: This is not some stupid rule. If you were playing the game more you would notice that it was made to prevent base-walking spam.
I guess. I always thought base walking is a valid technique, but I've never had a problem with campers and such either.
ddd wrote: You are wrong. It's not 1996 engine anymore. OpenRA is more like modern engine with features wich you didn't have in the original game. The AI of OpenRA doesn't cheat as it was in the original game. And so on.
I appreciate that, but even modern games don't lag like this online, and I refuse to believe that openra is THAT powerful. And yeah, I'm glad the Ai doesn't cheat like in the original!
ddd wrote: OpenRA actually runs 500 fps on a decent GPU/CPU if there's no any network problems/ AI lags. AI will have more fixing in the future.
What network problems and Ai lagging? Do you know if there's anything I can do to help prevent the lagging?
ddd wrote: Kick/ban "lads" with big latency ingame or those who lags the game due to their ancient CPU power.
Yes.

ddd wrote: The game you are talking about is usually called Worms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worms_%28series%29
And "Worms" is not multiplayer Real Time Strategy game at all.
No I was talking about Hedgewars. I never have lag with AOE2HD or any other RTS game, at least not as bad as Openra.

Matt

Post by Matt »

See https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues ... state=open for performance problems research and the technical discussion on how to resolve them.