[OpenRA] Limit base-walking by reducing freedom of building

The same solution as in OpenCnC - applied to OpenRA?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

Should it be only allowed to build near the deployed MCV?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:05 pm

Yes! Let us have this as default option! It should be possible to switch it off, however.
50%
No, keep it as it is!
50%

Total votes: 8

PersianImmortal

Post by PersianImmortal »

wusche1 wrote:
PersianImmortal wrote: Basewalking isn't hard to counter at all. I see no issue with it.
The question is not only whether one can stop a coordinated/sophisticated base walking attack, but also if it is this type of gameplay what defines the OpenRA gaming experience.

It is far from easy to defend against basewalking attacks that are well executed. The problem is not that basewalking allows for the massive use of defensive structures for offensive purposes, but also provides cover for long-range weapons like artillery or V2.

Also, I would like to remind you how much the engineer ninja whore tactic was considered as an exploit before the building capture was changed. It allowed the rapid building of production and defense building in the enemy base. Of course there was a way against it - but it was so effective that I used engineers even in the late game.
>Basewalking
Requires the management of artillery, aircraft, defensive structure placement, reg structure placement, infantry, and keeping an eye on your economy
>Coordinated basewalking
Nothing is stopping you and your team from coordinating as well. If you can't work together and get stomped that's your own problem.
>Engineering
load a transport, walk into an enemy building, spam defensive structures in his base
The two are uncomparable.

wusche1

Post by wusche1 »

PersianImmortal wrote: ...
Again, it is about the general gameplay. Games like Starcraft do not suffer from basewalking, since they have mechanisms in place that do not allow the construction of defensive structures in enemy bases (e.g workers, build time).

It is absolutely justified to run a couple of iterations with the playtest versions to see whether such a change would improve the OpenRA experience and see whether such an option is accepted by the public gaming population with a stable release.

In fact, the biggest negative aspect from limited building zones is - IMHO - the fact that attempting building capture will be less worthwhile than it is now.

buddhaforgotpassword

Post by buddhaforgotpassword »

I'm willing to give this a try but my initial thought is this:

I do not think most people would say that the basewalking to ore was a problem.
Yes I understand that it makes the game different, to not be able to just walk to ore, but I still don't think there was anything wrong with it before, and I don't think players should have to move their MCV just to move to more ore.

I think that there should be some way to base walk to ore, perhaps enabled as long as no enemies are around (and you can be liberal with what "around" means), disabled if enemies are close to said ore.

I'm going to give it some more tests and come back and tell you if I still feel the same way.

epice

Post by epice »

Buildings husks

KingSyphilis

Post by KingSyphilis »

Expanding upon the build radius idea, why not trial a build penalty to slow down base walking? When placing a structure outside a build radius, a translucent "ghost" structure, only visible to allies, appears with a construction countdown overlaid with perhaps 25-50% of the initial build time. Once the countdown ends, the building appears. This wouldn't affect the MCV's build queue, but would slow down base-camping expeditions.

psydev

Post by psydev »

You can still basewalk with a build radius, you just need to bring your MCV with you ;)

epice

Post by epice »

psydev wrote: You can still basewalk with a build radius, you just need to bring your MCV with you ;)
See but you can be stopped dead in your tracks if your MCV is destroyed though.

psydev

Post by psydev »

epicelite wrote:
psydev wrote: You can still basewalk with a build radius, you just need to bring your MCV with you ;)
See but you can be stopped dead in your tracks if your MCV is destroyed though.
That's a good thing.

zypres1

this is how games look nowadays

Post by zypres1 »

http://bayfiles.net/file/13ZYd/e39LPd/O ... 34711Z.rep
This replay is from pressure 3 vs 3 (1223). It shows some of the problem. The radius got some negative bi-effects, and you can see it here.

Around 10 "attacks" with mcv in the game, defense-structure war, and some arty-wars.

The game was epic and fun, but this is getting out of hand. The spec was the first to call it epic.

I salute the radius as a way to fix basewalking, but we need to do something more..

klaas

Post by klaas »

zypres1 wrote: This replay is from pressure 3 vs 3 (1223). It shows some of the problem. The radius got some negative bi-effects, and you can see it here.

Around 10 "attacks" with mcv in the game, defense-structure war, and some arty-wars.

The game was epic and fun, but this is getting out of hand.
So, why are attacks with MCVs a bad thing? And what is getting out of hand? Seems like these MCV attacks are fun and make the game dynamic, nothing wrong with the current system IMHO.