Ok so just bare with me here as I explain my idea: Drawing.

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
epice

Ok so just bare with me here as I explain my idea: Drawing.

Post by epice »

It would be great if we could draw notes on the game for teammates to see. Like draw lines and stuff? So you can tell your teammates where your attacking exactly and coordinate easier.

"I'm chronoing my tanks here, be ready with that iron curtain!"
Then you could draw an X in the exact spot you plan to teleport your tanks too, and your allies could see it.

"I'm gonna attack here you come in from the other side."
Draw an arrow where your units will be going in, and an X on what they will be attacking!

The pen tool will only be visible to you and your allies, possibly make it to you can send a spy into an enemy radar dome to see enemies notes(for a limited time)!

Here, I made an example with a random screenshot I had laying around.

EXAMPLE IMAGE

Mouse1 = Temporary line that disappears after X time
Mouse2 = Permanent line that will stay till its manually erased

See what I'm getting at here?

Could this be used for griefing? Yes.

xan2622

Post by xan2622 »

Don't forget to also post this idea as a new issue on GitHub :
https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues ... state=open

epice

Post by epice »

I think the idea needs more fleshing out first, was hoping for feedback.

xan2622

Post by xan2622 »

It would indeed be nice to have this but a brainstorming has to be done to be sure where to add these buttons. I just wouldn't want the UI to be bloated with many buttons.

I am worrying because I also posted a request about another feature (link) and I am not 100% happy with it because it takes much UI space next to the minimap. But I posted it anyway because it's just an idea I had.. and I wanted to share it.

Ok, your idea might just only require only a few buttons (how many excatly ? One for brush tool, another one for color selection, another one to erase a drawing, a fourth one to show/hide other drawings (see below)). I am worrying because I think developers will have to take care of UI simplicity too.

I like your idea but I think some another button will be required :
- each player should have a button to display or hide other players' drawings.

I would not want to see drawings other my battlefield or base if I don't want.
I mean, even if you draw something, other players shouldn't see it by default, they would see it only if they hav enabled this option somewhere.

Even if it would be a nice feature to have, I am not sure that players will have time to draw. OpenRA games are fast, really fast. Usually, players who win the most are those who click fast and those who have a good production efficiency.

OpenRA is not a game in which you have time to settle, build your base, think about your next moves (maybe because buildings strengths are nerfed ? I don't know).. Anyway, everything you do has to be done very quckly.

Bye

epice

Post by epice »

Well, instead of multiple colors how about people just get to draw in whatever color they are playing as. Would also make telling who drew what easier too and you can always draw a symbol or something to tell people what the line is for if necessary.

xan2622

Post by xan2622 »

I created an issue for this idea:
https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/3037

bellator

Post by bellator »

Penises. ALL I SEE ARE PENISES DRAWN ALL OVER THE MAP

xan2622

Post by xan2622 »

Bellator : not if players have a button to enable/disable drawings..

Well, after enabling this feature, it might make penises appear but they won't be displayed by default. 8)

Matt

Post by Matt »

Dota2 has drawing on the minimap. The feature request is 404.

xan2622

Post by xan2622 »

Cmd. Matt wrote: The feature request is 404.
Fixed by the Github team.

Azako

Post by Azako »

How about just a plain signal like in AoE II? Like xanax said the game's very intensive.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

While having a "scribble all over the map" tool is a nice idea in theory...
Azako wrote: How about just a plain signal like in AoE II? Like xanax said the game's very intensive.
...OpenRA is too fast (in terms of decision-making) for any time spent drawing all over the place to be really worth it. AoEII style 'map signals' would be a far better alternative. Perhaps with a checkbox option in the lobby that they can only be usable with a powered Radar Dome? ("Map markers require Radar", or something like that).

zypres1

Post by zypres1 »

IMHO it would also be cool to only let one of the units use a flare, or a building.. Like pressing Shift + 1 with a building or unit selected (could only be one), a flare is lighted, viewable from all players, just like paradrop flare.. or?

(this is to hard for new players...)
(this is slow when the attack is fast...) hmmmm..
(this can not be used to tell where they should attack....)
(but it would be fun and more "real")

epice

Post by epice »

I think drawing lines and shit would be fine, I mean how long do you need to draw a line and a few X's like 3 seconds?

klaas

Post by klaas »

I like the flare Idea. Maybe if a spy can deploy a single flare. I don't think it would change gameplay at all, and would also not be particullary usefull, but cool nontheless.