Engineers - what have been people's ideas to moderate?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
psydev

Post by psydev »

epicelite wrote: Why are commando units not limited to 1 at a time?
I am personally against limiting commandos to one at a time. Perhaps some other kind of limiting/balancing factor could be found? I don't think it's such a bad thing to have more than one of them. They cost $1000, so they are pretty pricey and risky to use.

One balancing that I would like is having C4 charges could do somewhere between 500-1000 damage to a building instead of completely destroying it. A cooldown time after setting C4 charges would also make multiple commandos more acceptable. Then you would not have to worry so much about losing your construction yard in one hit, or having your base quickly ravaged.

But building guard towers in your base properly would probably solve most of these problems, anyway. :-P

Iran

Post by Iran »

I thought OpenRA had walls and allows you to build multiple of them at the same time?

epice

Post by epice »

Iran wrote: I thought OpenRA had walls and allows you to build multiple of them at the same time?
Yea because putting walls around your War Factory and refineries is such a good idea.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

epicelite wrote:
Iran wrote: I thought OpenRA had walls and allows you to build multiple of them at the same time?
Yea because putting walls around your War Factory and refineries is such a good idea.
Or... you know... create artificial choke points? Much easier and faster than it would have been in RA95.

epice

Post by epice »

Ok have fun building walls around every one of your buildings the rest of us will be doing more important shit with our time and resources.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

When did I say anything about building walls around every structure?

I didn't. Read posts properly and engage your brain before you reply next time.

epice

Post by epice »

BaronOfStuff wrote: When did I say anything about building walls around every structure?

I didn't. Read posts properly and engage your brain before you reply next time.
You clearly implied it, put more thought into your posts.

-Jes-

Post by -Jes- »

epicelite wrote: You clearly implied it, put more thought into your posts.
He did not. He explicitly specified 'choke points', as he had done a few posts earlier:
BaronOfStuff wrote: Build walls; create your own chokepoints.
So please, do some research before you attempt to dismiss someone's quite valid comment offhand.

epice

Post by epice »

-Jes- wrote:
epicelite wrote: You clearly implied it, put more thought into your posts.
He did not. He explicitly specified 'choke points', as he had done a few posts earlier:
BaronOfStuff wrote: Build walls; create your own chokepoints.
So please, do some research before you attempt to dismiss someone's quite valid comment offhand.
He was clearly implying the choke points should be created around individual buildings, most maps already provide one infront of your base around so if thats what he was saying hes still wrong.

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

Post by DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr »

I always build concrete walls around my cy. For 400 bucks its worth it. I always engy rush enemy CY in FFA.

For factories and shit, just have more units. Or, make gates, and then you can actually wall in a WF and a REF. Barr is cheap to replace.

No to the generals idea. Thats a different game. I just don't like it to be honest. I like the engy in RA.

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

We have art for gates; someone just needs to wire them up.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

You mean define/code them? Well, I can do the cameo icon if needed, but I'm not entirely sure how getting behaviour and that works. Especially if it's outside of YAML stuff.

(Gates would be a great addition to both mods though; while it's not 'true' to the classic C&C games currently supported, it would pretty much solve the "Engineer Rush" issue in most cases without having to fuck around with various other options.)

epice

Post by epice »

Oh I'd fucking LOVE gates!

What if we just make it so when you capture a building you have to wait 30 seconds before you can build near it, but you can sell it immediately.

psydev

Post by psydev »

epicelite wrote: What if we just make it so when you capture a building you have to wait 30 seconds before you can build near it, but you can sell it immediately.
I think that's a great idea.
epicelite wrote: Oh I'd fucking LOVE gates!
How about engineers could disable/destroy gates, or else capture them and take control of them?
:)

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Nah. Gates should be like slightly more functional walls; no option to capture or repair them, only replace.