Remove bib infront of buildings that don't need it.

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
epice

Remove bib infront of buildings that don't need it.

Post by epice »

If you don't know the "bib" is the patch of dirt/pavement infront of nearly ever building in Red Alert(and C&C).

How about removing it where its not needed? So only keep it on the Barracks, Refinery, and War Factory.

The buildings look so much better without it, and take up less room.

freak

Post by freak »

I support this change. :)

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Eh, I don't like the idea of it as a forced change. At most it should be a lobby option, although I have no idea if such a thing would be feasible to implement without having to piss around with a bundle of code.

Matt

Post by Matt »

This is just a yaml setting so it is easy to change, but this might also be a gameplay issue, because you can then wall yourself in with regular buildings.

epice

Post by epice »

Cmd. Matt wrote: This is just a yaml setting so it is easy to change, but this might also be a gameplay issue, because you can then wall yourself in with regular buildings.
You can do it anyway so long as the wall is on the north or south... or you can use regular walls.

If someone is dumb enough to wall themselves in on accident, they deserve it!

Matt

Post by Matt »

epicelite wrote: If someone is dumb enough to wall themselves in on accident, they deserve it!
The AI building placement algorithm is very simple. There might be problems.

epice

Post by epice »

Cmd. Matt wrote:
epicelite wrote: If someone is dumb enough to wall themselves in on accident, they deserve it!
The AI building placement algorithm is very simple. There might be problems.
Just leave the bib enabled for AI and remove it for human players? Not like AI is used often anyway.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Bibs are currently removed for d2k in bleed and it looks awful.

epice

Post by epice »

It looks good in Red Alert and C&C tho, I never played Dune.

psydev

Post by psydev »

I dont think any bibs should be removed. I removed them once but it wasn't that great. The aesthetics are nice as they were meant to be, and I dont think anything is gained by removing them (usually).

CNC has already removed a few bibs: the silos, the repair bay, and I think the helipad too. The repair bay was obvious but I wasn't sure if the helipads should have one or not. I felt the bib took up space, and they didn't really need them, since only flying units need access, so crowding is less of an issue. But it doesn't matter much in CNC though, since you often don't need more than one helipad anyway.

I don't really think any more bibs should be removed. Theoretically the refinery could lose the bib, if there were a good reason to ditch it. Other than that, I'm happy as things are.

Matt

Post by Matt »

I removed them in an indoor map as it does not fit there. https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/2602/files#L4R78

Might also add them back to Dune 2000 again. If there is too few space to build, then the map needs to be changed, not the game.