Improve gameplay? 'Build off Ally Con.yard'

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
SoScared

Improve gameplay? 'Build off Ally Con.yard'

Post by SoScared »

After playing openRA on and off for a while, there is one thing I'd like to see changed more than anything else when playing multiplayer games:

- Building structures next to your Ally can be done only with his/her Con.yard.

To be honest, I'm not too good with team-basewalking. When I face a front of buildings coming my way faster than my army can move on the ground, I usually raise my hands up in disbelief rather than calling up on my allies to help out build my opponents.

The fact is, too often new players are coming in only to be discouraged by established players who take control of the game with aggressive team-basewalking all over the map. New players remember the old Red Alert as a game of tanks, infantry,ships and aircrafts out on the battlefield, with a well established base supporting their army. When this nostalgic dream is countered by a rock solid wall of structures taking control of all resources on the map within 2 minutes, knocking on your front door in 4, they often leave never to return and we're left with a core of experienced players with a refined base stratergy that will shut out new players forever.

If building off ally construction yard was the default option it would change how we play the game significantly by forcing team players to support eachother with an army rather than with defensive structures. You could still basewalk by yourself and move your con.yard to establish a new base for your team.

This might go against the established players comfy levels but if you want the game to grow stronger beyond what we have today, then I feel this change HAS to be done.
Last edited by SoScared on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.

epice

Post by epice »

I think we just need to prevent base-walking outright. It's hardly a legitimate tactic, same with tank rushing. It takes no real skill or thought and is nearly impossible to counter.

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

epicelite wrote: I think we just need to prevent base-walking outright. It's hardly a legitimate tactic, same with tank rushing. It takes no real skill or thought and is nearly impossible to counter.
I agree completely. This is the main reason why in my mod I changed the cost and build times of most buildings xD Because it seriously is unreal. In real life, people don't build bigger and bigger bases to summon walls and defenses from under the earth to use as offensive weapons xD

epice

Post by epice »

Well good then Red Alert is a video game then.

Matt

Post by Matt »

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

I'm not sure I'd want to see a ban on basewalking altogether. Although a practised single basewalker might be tough to beat and wicked annoying, there are ways of dealing with it without too much trouble which comes with a little experience. The problem comes when you play these well rehearsed basewalking bastard teams ;C) that players feel the frustration of not really playing the game.
Interesting. I agree with 'hoxworth' that a building border for the con.yard would limit the game beyond it's intent, but I think he's wrong on how easy there is to counter the stratergy, and team basewalking, when done properly, will plow through your regular artillery/V2 + army/structures easily, and most importantly, is too stressfull for regular players to bother learning how to counter. Simply put, it is possible to stop but that takes a counter stratergy that is simply not worth engaging. Regular players want to engage their armies.

Imo, the development of the good late-game scenarios we envision when playing multiplayer team matches are scarce. I feel that a 'build of ally con.yard.' could balance this out to everyone's satisfaction, and could at least be implemented as an option in our game lobbies. I feel this adjustment could make the game available to a much larger audience than it has gotten so far.

Matt

Post by Matt »

epicelite wrote: I think we just need to prevent base-walking outright.
Go play the d2k mod.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

posted to Github: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/2464

Hopefully a discussion will develop there. Join me in battle brethren!