Strategery of the New Pillbox

Turret vs Pillbox with Rocket Dude

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
earthpig

Strategery of the New Pillbox

Post by earthpig »

For defending against tanks and considering bang for your buck, how do the following compare?

Turret and Pillbox with rocket dude.

Kanar

Post by Kanar »

I also would like to know that.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

The Turret does far better.

It's got better armour, more health, longer range, and a faster-firing weapon. However, it also costs more... although given the cost of a Pillbox + E3, this is soon a non-issue.

Proteus

Post by Proteus »

Garrisoned pillboxes should have upgraded weapons, it seems odd that a $100 infantry magically gets a powerful decent-range machine gun, while all the other infantry are stuck with their normal weapons with no extra range or damage.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Pillbox with rocket dude requires more micro management.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Proteus wrote: Garrisoned pillboxes should have upgraded weapons, it seems odd that a $100 infantry magically gets a powerful decent-range machine gun, while all the other infantry are stuck with their normal weapons with no extra range or damage.
In all seriousness, I'd prefer if the infantry acted as a secondary weapon in combination with the default Vulcan Chaingun too, instead of changing the primary weapon completely.

Kanar

Post by Kanar »

Can rocket soldier in pillbox still attack airplanes?

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

No, E3 only has anti-tank rockets when bunkered.

Kanar

Post by Kanar »

So that whole thing is not relly useful, as a turret is the better choice and requires far less attention.

I suggest that to be reworked, so it has some usage.

bellator

Post by bellator »

The rocket pillbox is useful because it can fire over walls. A pillbox protected from tank guns by a wall is better protected from tanks than a turret. Gun turrets cannot fire over walls, just as tank guns can't. Also, the rockets track their targets, unlike the turret gun, so this is an advantage against fast moving light vehicles.

Kanar

Post by Kanar »

See your point, thx bellatroll.

earthpig

Post by earthpig »

OK, so...

Aside from shooting over walls, what would it take to make the E3 pillbox have a pragmatic purpose in some circumstances?

I say some because the intent isn't to replace the turret. What would have to be changed about the rocket pillbox to make it have a niche (and not all-encompasing) advantage over the turret?

Kanar

Post by Kanar »

There are some variables to play with.

Maybe increase building distance to base, or sight range.

I like the idea of having kinda "guard tower" (similar to cnc), which main purpose is to provide an area clear of Fog of war, and also as defense against infantry.

bellator

Post by bellator »

"Maybe increase building distance to base, or sight range. "

I think its fine as it is. Allies are already the turtle-god. AA guns + arties + turrets/rocket pbox + walls is pretty deadly.

Kanar

Post by Kanar »

Which is exactly the reason why I fail at this game.
I just have not found a strategy against this yet, especially when it's combined with buildwalking. O.o