RA "snow" map tileset for CNC

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
psydev

RA "snow" map tileset for CNC

Post by psydev »

So apparently in CNC95 someone has already has done a mod and converted the snow theater from RA into one for CNC!
Can we apply it to OpenRA? That would be really sweet.
Ultimately would we be able to make an automatic map converter that translates maps between RA <--> CNC, using this art work that someone has already done? That would be the best.
Attachments
snow.mix.zip
Screenshot here:
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/cc95p106/pics/cc95v106b_snow.png

FAQ mentioning it here:
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/cc95p106/patch106c_r2_en.html
(315.37 KiB) Downloaded 646 times

psydev

Post by psydev »

Here is a link to the file itself.
Please let me know if this is useful.
Attachments
snow.mix for cnc.zip
(315.37 KiB) Downloaded 624 times

Proteus

Post by Proteus »

Excellent!

What are the chances of getting a desert theatre for RA? I remember one being in the makes, but it seems it went dead a while ago

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Proteus wrote: Excellent!

What are the chances of getting a desert theatre for RA? I remember one being in the makes, but it seems it went dead a while ago
http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/view ... sc&start=0

I don't think it's dead, just slowed down for now. Would be a shame if it did die though, it looks great:
http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/file ... me_177.png

Matt

Re: RA "snow" map tileset for CNC

Post by Matt »

psydev wrote: So apparently in CNC95 someone has already has done a mod and converted the snow theater from RA into one for CNC!
Can we apply it to OpenRA? That would be really sweet.
Ultimately would we be able to make an automatic map converter that translates maps between RA <--> CNC, using this art work that someone has already done? That would be the best.
I did not have a look at the .mix file, but I if you read what
Command & Conquer Gold v1.06c wrote:Temperate missions can now be transformed to Snow by changing the Theater setting in the mission's ini file from "Temperate" to "Snow"
You might be able to simply recycle the mods/cnc/tilesets/temperate.yaml to create a new snow.yaml as the tiles should have the same names.

To change a map from temperate to snow open the .oramap (it's a .zip file) and edit map.yaml at Tileset: TEMPERAT to Tileset: SNOW

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

OpenRA used to ship the c&c snow tileset, but it was dropped for a few reasons:
  • We didn't have explicit permission from the original author.
  • It has a few annoying graphical glitches.
  • Only one map was ever made with it, and it wasn't particularly good.
If you want to add it back, you can pull the tileset.yaml out of the git history.

Nyerguds

Post by Nyerguds »

psydev wrote: So apparently in CNC95 someone has already has done a mod and converted the snow theater from RA into one for CNC!
Patch. Not mod :P

I also got practically all of C&C1's internal stats converted to ini rules, if you want.
psydev wrote: Can we apply it to OpenRA? That would be really sweet.
Do note that C&C1 has vastly less tilesets than RA1, and the Snow theater is trimmed to be exactly compatible with C&C's Temperate theater. This means that just like C&C Temperate, it does not contain tilesets like water cliffs, a river ending in a cliff, and RA's long wide water crossings or long bridges. So straight conversions from RA to C&C maps aren't possible anyway.
Sleipnir wrote:
  • We didn't have explicit permission from the original author.
You never asked, either.

If you want my permission to use the Snow theater, you got it. It was originally converted by Jk (Jafet Kackur), but he is no longer active in the community, and, well, what he did was simply a kind of batch conversion job. I've done multiple fixes on the Snow theater since it was originally added in v1.06b, like repairing all river water flow animations, making the river crossings only 1 cell wide (like they are in C&C1), and removing animated water colours which showed up in wrong tilesets by accident. If there are any other problems (that are not specifically related to implementing it in OpenRA), please do tell me.

Generalcamo

Post by Generalcamo »

Sleipnir wrote: OpenRA used to ship the c&c snow tileset, but it was dropped for a few reasons:
  • Only one map was ever made with it, and it wasn't particularly good.
I can convert a few of the popular C&C snow maps, often played on CnCnet, to OpenRA. It just needs to have the snow tileset first.

Nyerguds

Post by Nyerguds »

No official maps were ever made with Snow (obviously), it was purely an extra for the map makers. I just converted the N64 GDI mission #2 to Snow as a test, and people asked me to keep it that way because it looked nice.

Matt

Post by Matt »

I pushed the SHP fixes where I could see a difference to OpenRA at https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/2264 https://github.com/Mailaender/OpenRA/co ... 670c32a64c Some also seemed to only fix C&C hardcoded sequence specific bugs we don't have in OpenRA. I also uploaded the snow tileset which replaces all the winter tiles except those snow on greenland tiles. The editor will crash if they are not in the tileset.yaml which is because of legacy map import I guess.
Attachments
C&amp;amp;C snow tileset with hand of NOD in beta style (with logo) and construction yard with shadow
C&amp;C snow tileset with hand of NOD in beta style (with logo) and construction yard with shadow
snow.png (272.87 KiB) Viewed 15017 times

Nyerguds

Post by Nyerguds »

Cmd. Matt, there's no reason to add those snow patches tiles. Snow theater is equivalent to C&C Temperate, not Winter. If you treat it as such, you won't need those tiles. In fact, Snow has other tiles that Temperate has, but Winter doesn't (like tiles P03 and P04, the 'crashed ufo' tiles. Though, my patch adds Winter equivalents for those, too). (Also note that Snow theater has its own tiberium SHP files, bibs and civilian buildings.)

On the subject of SHP files, the only 'hardcoded sequence bugs' I edited SHP files for were the rocket launcher (msam.shp) and the oil tanker (arco.shp). There's quite a few more fixes:

-The SSM Launcher (mlrs.shp) was updated in my last patch because the very last turret frame without missiles had messed up house colours
-The chainlink fence (cycl.shp) was one pixel off in one of its connecting corners (west to south connection)
-The ion cannon icon (ionicnh.*) in C&C95 was shown firing from a completely wrong part of the satellite, and was replaced by a remake made from an official render (see this pic)
-Fixes for several buildings which showed side-sensitive color instead of real yellow:
* Civilian Oil Derrick (Made correct remap for v19.shp)
* Advanced Communications Center (shadow under the big dish turned to remap, in both eye.shp and eyemake.shp)
* Tiberium Silo (random remap pixels in the collapse frame of silo.shp, and the entire lower right edge on silomake.shp)
* Barracks (remap pixels showing up in the normally gray buildup on pylemake.shp)

You won't spot any of these remap errors as long as you view the SHP files in the original yellow-remap palette (and they probably won't be very noticeable in the grey one I see in that attached pic, either), but they are noticeable ingame, especially when using multiplayer colours. Which is why my XCC mixer has been equipped with purple-remap palettes :P

Matt

Post by Matt »

Nyerguds wrote: Cmd. Matt, there's no reason to add those snow patches tiles. Snow theater is equivalent to C&C Temperate, not Winter. If you treat it as such, you won't need those tiles. In fact, Snow has other tiles that Temperate has, but Winter doesn't (like tiles P03 and P04, the 'crashed ufo' tiles. Though, my patch adds Winter equivalents for those, too). (Also note that Snow theater has its own tiberium SHP files, bibs and civilian buildings.)
It is now based on Temperate and the error is gone. Thanks for the hint.
Nyerguds wrote: On the subject of SHP files, the only 'hardcoded sequence bugs' I edited SHP files for were the rocket launcher (msam.shp) and the oil tanker (arco.shp). There's quite a few more fixes:

-The SSM Launcher (mlrs.shp) was updated in my last patch because the very last turret frame without missiles had messed up house colours
-The chainlink fence (cycl.shp) was one pixel off in one of its connecting corners (west to south connection)
-The ion cannon icon (ionicnh.*) in C&C95 was shown firing from a completely wrong part of the satellite, and was replaced by a remake made from an official render (see this pic)
-Fixes for several buildings which showed side-sensitive color instead of real yellow:
* Civilian Oil Derrick (Made correct remap for v19.shp)
* Advanced Communications Center (shadow under the big dish turned to remap, in both eye.shp and eyemake.shp)
* Tiberium Silo (random remap pixels in the collapse frame of silo.shp, and the entire lower right edge on silomake.shp)
* Barracks (remap pixels showing up in the normally gray buildup on pylemake.shp)

You won't spot any of these remap errors as long as you view the SHP files in the original yellow-remap palette (and they probably won't be very noticeable in the grey one I see in that attached pic, either), but they are noticeable ingame, especially when using multiplayer colours. Which is why my XCC mixer has been equipped with purple-remap palettes :P
Okay, thanks for the detailed explanation. I pushed those also to OpenRA. https://github.com/Mailaender/OpenRA/co ... 9e96e223a1 in https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/2264

Nyerguds

Post by Nyerguds »

You added "pyle.shp" too... that one wasn't changed.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Nyerguds wrote: You added "pyle.shp" too... that one wasn't changed.
Removed it again. Thanks