Inet Connection & Keyb. Shortcut Questions

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
MaxD

Inet Connection & Keyb. Shortcut Questions

Post by MaxD »

Hi,

Questions:

1) How fast does your Inet connection have to be, in order to host a game?
Mine is 4K but the game was very laggy with 4 to 6 players.
Is this because of my connection is too slow, or is it enough and the problem was somewhere else?

2) Why can't I connect to many open servers sometimes?
It's not that the hoster did not open the right ports, since I saw there were other players joining.
Also, it's not a different playtest-version.
What else could it be?
Could it be that if a game is already running, it takes some time for it to show as running (instead of open) in the game list?

3) What exactly do I have to do to make units hold their position, but fire on units/buildings in range, instead of moving out for attacking and so leaving their position?

Pressing Z, I can cycle through stance-modes. Which one do I have to select?

And, can I do this for each unit seperately or does it work on all units?

4) When I build, for example, a turret gun next to a nearby enemy building, it will immediately start to fire on this building.
When enemy units attack it now, while the enemy building is not yet destroyed, the turret gun will continue to fire on that building instead of firing on the attacking enemy units.

Is there a way to change this behaviour, so it attacks units with the ability to attack first, instead of harmless buildings?

Regards.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

1) Probably a problem with someone connected to your server. If any player has a problem, it makes everyone lag.
2) You might not have the map hosted? Could be a few reasons for this one, someone else might have to clear this one up.
3) 'Defend' is what you're after, close to the original RA95 behaviour.
4) This is a problem related to refreshing the auto-targeting to the closest enemy object with each shot (before this, I think a defensive structure would keep its attention on a single unit at a time, even after it moved out of range), I don't think there's a way around this yet -- perhaps some sort of new 'NoAutoTarget' flag could be added to non-threatening structures?

riderr3

Post by riderr3 »

I'm still can not host, players can not join my game :cry: Even it says "connection established". Trying to open ports, but no luck. May be it because I have dynamic IP address?

MaxD

Post by MaxD »

No, dynamic IP definitely works.
U probably have only forwarded your ports, but you have to edit your firewall rules in the router as well!
Try that.

Thx 4 the answer above!
>2) You might not have the map hosted? Could be a few reasons for this one, someone else might have to clear this one up.

It happens when someone else is hosting the game.
I can see that other people are joining, but sometimes I won't get into the lobby. It always says connection failed, even if game version is the same. :-(

earthpig

Post by earthpig »

pretty sure #2 is from peeps running diff versions of the game. when I make a game using my ww1 mod I've been tinkering with that only my friend and I have, it shows up for everyone in the lobby.

riderr3

Post by riderr3 »

Im finally fixed this(forward ports and create a virtual server). But sometimes, players disconnect from my server or we just starts without units on map

MaxD

Post by MaxD »

What did you do to fix this?

riderr3

Post by riderr3 »

MaxD wrote: What did you do to fix this?
Screenshots is explains
Attachments
creating a virtual server
creating a virtual server
ADSL 2+ Router - Mozilla Firefox - 2.png (127.77 KiB) Viewed 6677 times
port forwarding
port forwarding
ADSL 2+ Router - Mozilla Firefox - 1.png (112.95 KiB) Viewed 6677 times

MaxD

Post by MaxD »

Could you please try the following?

Set start and end port both to 1234 and try hosting a game.
Usually, this should be sufficient.

riderr3

Post by riderr3 »

MaxD wrote: Could you please try the following?

Set start and end port both to 1234 and try hosting a game.
Usually, this should be sufficient.
Yeah, this is worked for me too