Are there any plans for a Dune 2000 Mod?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
panzeroceania

Post by panzeroceania »

If I remember correctly, the engine is based off of Red Alert and therefore should port better than other games, and would have totally unique gameplay.

this is a video of Dune 2000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tCNXXMN9xQ

see how similar it is?

psydev

Post by psydev »

If there is a mod, we simply MUST get rid of the archaic concept of building "tiles" before placing a structure. I'm personally shocked and appalled that they didn't get rid of this archaic "feature" when they re-made Dune 2000.
It is really pointless--it's just an annoying, endless chore for the user and it adds nothing to the gameplay.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

I don't know whether to agree or not.

I hate the whole "throw a load of concrete down" element too, but... hmmm, you know what? Screw it. It can go for all I care. I honestly can't think of one good thing to say about it!

Blarget2

Post by Blarget2 »

psydev wrote: If there is a mod, we simply MUST get rid of the archaic concept of building "tiles" before placing a structure. I'm personally shocked and appalled that they didn't get rid of this archaic "feature" when they re-made Dune 2000.
It is really pointless--it's just an annoying, endless chore for the user and it adds nothing to the gameplay.
It is there to keep ascetics from the novel (so I've heard, I've never read the dune series)

djwhitfield

Post by djwhitfield »

Would love this

Matt

Post by Matt »

There are some tests at https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/tree/master/mods

d2k is badly broken
palettetest replaces the RA MCV with the one from Dune 2000

Matt

Post by Matt »

I talked to Chris. He might do the game mechanics coding if someone converts the Raw D2k graphics into compatible SHPs.

If you look in the games source code history there were plans to support Dune2000s .r8 file format: https://github.com/pchote/OpenRA/blob/7 ... me/Game.cs

Matt

Post by Matt »

I also found Dune 2000 Formats Specs if someone wants to contribute code.

psydev

Post by psydev »

Cmd. Matt wrote: I also found Dune 2000 Formats Specs if someone wants to contribute code.
So I to understand from reading this that, unlike RA/CNC, images are not rotating around a center point, but rather aligned with a border, starting from the the top-left...
Would it be possible to simply adapt the OpenRA game engine to be able to display either .SHPs that are in this format, or in the older centerered format?
It could then just be a question of informing the engine how to interpret a .SHP through a setting in a .yaml file. Example: Mod.yaml can say "default setting for this mod/unit type [infantry, vehicle, ...] is left-aligned, with offset -X,-Y". Whenever a .SHP file is called by a .yaml file, it can be specified that it is an imported centered image or if the offset should be different (e.g. for a very large unit).
Would that be practicable? It would be easier that way for content developers than having to convert each graphic's offset whenever they want to use it. Therefore you could import data directly from D2K fan mods and the entire existing game's graphical data without conversion.

Matt

Post by Matt »

https://github.com/Mailaender/OpenRA/co ... e4e8c0f34d The R8Reader in my OpenRA.Utility fork currently ignores the offset. I consider this a bug that I would like to fix there (help!). The version before had cropped images that also ignored the offset. Using them and adding offset information to YAML files afterwords might be more work than just get properly alignment images/SHPs.

Matt

Post by Matt »

The Offset places the images sometimes outside of the FrameSize. This might explain my "Array out of Range" exception when I try to align them correctly. I have no idea how to solve this. It does not make sense to me. Why did they even change the file format for Dune 2000? The engine looks identical to RA/TD. *gnarrr*

Matt

splash screen

Post by Matt »

I started fixing the Dune 2000 mod and created a splash screen (Code). The Arrakis icon is copied from http://dunelegacy.sourceforge.net/ which is a nice GPL reimplementation of Dune 2. Can anyone think of cool Dune phrases for the loadscreen?
Attachments
d2k-splash-screenshot.png
d2k-splash-screenshot.png (20.88 KiB) Viewed 14571 times

katzsmile

Post by katzsmile »

Dune loadscreen
Attachments
loadscreen.png
loadscreen.png (38.03 KiB) Viewed 14561 times

Matt

Post by Matt »

katzsmile wrote: Dune loadscreen
Is this 100% self-made?

I like the wood panels. Can you create dialog.png, chrome.png and buttons.png in the same style?

katzsmile

Post by katzsmile »

this panels you can get from dune2000