Installing OpenRA from nothing

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Radoria

Installing OpenRA from nothing

Post by Radoria »

Hello, everyone. I'm a complete newb at this so I'm reaching out to you all in hope that I can get this working.

I followed all the directions to the best of my knowlege.

I'm running windows 7 64-bit. I have the full game of Red Alert installed, runns perfectly minus some color dicrepencies. I downloaded and installed OpenRA from the mainsite for windows.

I also followed these instructions:
Obtaining the Source Code

You'll need several things in order to checkout and build the source code:

Git, which can be downloaded for:
OS X
Windows
or from your package manager on GNU/Linux.
.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or later, on Windows, or Mono 2.6.x on other platforms.
GNU Make, on non-Windows platforms.
Visual Studio 2008 (or Visual C# Express, free) if you like a nice IDE.
Grab the sources by cloning our git repository:
$ git clone git://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA.git
$ cd OpenRA
Follow the instructions in INSTALL to build and run the game.

although I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of this is but I managed to get it done.

I opened the "INSTALL" file and followed the instruction the best I could but The instructions are vague and are not specific...

So as It stands now, When I tryto run OpenRA.game iget an error message saying "OpenRA has stopped working... windows is searching for a solution"... I dont know what I'm doing wrong and I cannot find a step-by-step FAQ on how to properly install this whole thing.

twarpie

Post by twarpie »

Any reason you don't just download the installer and use that to install the game?

In other words: do you just want to play it or do you want to develop the game?

If the first: download go to http://open-ra.org and click on the big "Download OpenRA for XXXX", where "XXXX" will be Windows, Linux or OSX. Get the latest one, install and you're done.

If the second: the INSTALL file sort of assumes you know what you are doing I suppose.

JirkaF

Post by JirkaF »

I have the same problem with "OpenRA has stopped working". What I am doing wrong ?

Radoria

Post by Radoria »

twarpie wrote: Any reason you don't just download the installer and use that to install the game?

In other words: do you just want to play it or do you want to develop the game?

If the first: download go to http://open-ra.org and click on the big "Download OpenRA for XXXX", where "XXXX" will be Windows, Linux or OSX. Get the latest one, install and you're done.

If the second: the INSTALL file sort of assumes you know what you are doing I suppose.
I did download the installer for windows, everything installed properly to my knowledge, I also deactivated my anti-virus so it would mot conflict with the installation. Still though, when I try to open the OpenRA.game it says "OpenRA has stopped working..." not sure what's wrong.

And I do want to develope but I just want to gt the game working first.

twarpie

Post by twarpie »

General tip: if possible, see if you can join the IRC channel. Main developers can be found there and the help would be a bit more real-time.

Apart from that: see if you can locate the 'exception.log' file. Under Windows 7 this is in '(My) Documents\OpenRA\Logs' IIRC. Should be more info in there.

If you take that log and join the IRC channel, I'm sure they'll be able to help you out there.

I know for a fact that the game runs on Win7 x64 (as I do it myself all the time).

Radoria

Post by Radoria »

I posted this issue as a bug http://bugs.open-ra.org/issues/1364
and I'm seeking help in the IRC channel :P Right now its just a matter of waiting for the right person to come online...