RA artillery/nukes balance

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

are the nukes and artillery balanced already?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:02 am

neither are balanced, please fix this
25%
both are balanced, you're a noob for posting this topic
50%
i agree with this halfway
25%

Total votes: 4

Sprog

RA artillery/nukes balance

Post by Sprog »

i dont know if people agree with this, but artillery and nukes should be balanced. compared to the v2 rockets the projectiles move faster and do more damage. nukes also are impossible to see coming if the enemy has no units nearby your base(s).

artillery projectiles should travel at about 2/3 to 1/2 the speed they do now. having only 2 artillery can kill one of the soviet large tanks even when it's moving. the same can happen with v2 rockets but they miss when the tank is moving.

nukes should put a drop marker like paradropping troops except being visible to both players. their damage is also high (of course, it's also a nuke) but should do more damage to units and less to buildings.
yum, carebear soup

Sowinov

Post by Sowinov »

IMO, the drop marker for nukes is a good idea, but I'm a little more hesitant on your suggestions of rebalancing.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

I can't see the point in nuke markers; the nuke's a superweapon, and it shouldn't really be 'fair' in that sense. It could probably stand to do more damage to units though, in particular vehicles with 'heavy' armour (on that matter, I have no idea if the nuke's damage is modelled on the behaviour from the original game; each mapcell within the radius inflicting damage on whatever's on top. This is why nukes were relatively effective against buildings in RA95 skirmishes (the damage from each cell the building was placed on totalled), but crap against tanks and other heavy vehicles).

As for Artillery, they seem to be effective against pretty much everything, but at the same time they're incredibly flimsy and also volatile. Maybe the damage could be toned down very slightly, but other than that I really wouldn't touch them. Making their already-slow projectile even slower would render them near-useless against anything but slow infantry and structures.