Developer who wants to lend a hand, where to start?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
kmcc049

Developer who wants to lend a hand, where to start?

Post by kmcc049 »

Hi there,

I am a professional software developer who likes the look of the project and is keen to lend a hand. I'm not certain how much time I will be able to give, with existing work/family commitments but figured I'd see if I could help out.

Thing is I've never worked on any open source project so I'm not sure where to start. I checked out and compiled the code and got it up and running, but where to from here? Theres a lot of unassigned bugs in the tracker can I just pick up one at random and do it? Would seem a bit wasteful if someone else also did that...

ddd

Post by ddd »

Join irc://irc.freenode.org/#openra and contact the main dev with a nick chrisf. Patches are welcome. You can also read some dev notes there:
https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki

codo

Post by codo »

Same here guys. I'm gonna contact you soon. 8)
PS. I encountered some problems while running the game after compilation. A few dependencies like zlib1.dll, sdl.dll, freetype6.dll were missing. Why not put it in the thirdparty directory?

hamb

Post by hamb »

I'm guessing they aren't in thirdparty because of some no redist rules - if you have OpenRA installed, you can pull zlib, sdl and freetype from your installed dir and you're good.

Devs are easily found in #openra on irc.freenode.net like ddd has said :)

In regards to the bug tracker, there's a lot on there that I'm sure it's safe to go ahead and try patching. Feel free to hop on irc & ask where's a good place to start. I know there's a bug with naval units repairing away from the sub pen/ship yard, that might be one area to look at (bug #844)