Air Combat and other suggestions

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
LEGO

Air Combat and other suggestions

Post by LEGO »

First thank you to the OpenRA team for present such a great work. Amazing features, like the tank wrecks, unit upgrade, fog of war, GPS to display a enemy unit symble.
And it is also great to see that this engin allows air combat. I think this can be a very important and interesting part of the game, but there is no thread talking about this?
Currently only Orca and RA Longbow can shoot air targets, but you can edit MIG's missile to make it AAable, and it works good dealing all air targets, if you order 2 MIGs fight each other the dogfight is very interesting.

Yet there is a minor problem, due to the engin's limit, they would very easily blow themselves down because an AA/AG weapons damage all air/ground targets in the hit tile, and they often fly into a hit tile.
I fixed this with a very simple method: give the aircraft a primary weapon AG only and a secondary AA only, give the AA missile a longer range and faster speed so aircrafts would not likely run into the blast of their own missile.

So may I suggest you:
1, to consider Air Combat part of the game in further RA/C&C versions
2, For C&C, Orca vs Apache is balanced and fine. But for RA, Allied may need a something more like a fighter than Longbow, perhap F4, or F16. If you don't want to give Allied airstrip, a Harrier VTOL fighter would be nice to operate from helipad.
3, Currently only helicopter style "hover" aircrafts can engage enemy automaticly. For MIG, even if you give it AutoTarget, it can only auto engage enemy when it is parked on a airstrip, but can not when their circle in air. If you can enable their AutoTarget while circling, well, that would be great and equal to the MIG in C&CGeneral.

And there are some suggestions not related to air combat:
1, please add the hotkey that double press of a team number to central the screen on the team.
2, when click the building repair/sell button, it is very easy to roll the screen upward, please fix this as well.
3, why cannot crush infantry? for balance? this is a very interesting part for all C&C game.
4, donno it is my problem or not, I can't change the game resolve from 1024*768. The units look so small, wanna change it bigger.

Thanks. :P

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Thanks for the suggestions! we will consider them for future versions.

Some have already been (or will be) fixed in our C&C mod in the next release:
[tab]a.1: Both Orca and Apache have been rebalanced and can attack air, so heli-vs-heli will be a legitimate strategy. Your idea of splitting AA/AG weapons is good, I will do this.
[tab]b.2: Repair/Sell will be bound to a keyboard shortcut, making screen scrolling less of an issue.
[tab]b.3: Infantry crushing will be implemented (but the infantry will try and run away, so it won't be easy!).
[tab]b.4: You will be able to zoom in/out using the mousewheel ingame or a slider in the game settings. The settings ui related to changing the screen mode/resolution has been improved too.

Chrisf is in charge of what goes into our Red Alert mod, so I won't speak for any changes that may or may not end up in there.

LEGO

Post by LEGO »

Thank you for reply,Sleipnir :)
And glad to hear the progresses.
Currently Orca has some minor bug, it often shake maddly when moved to a new position or landing on the helipad. But seem Longbow doesn't have this problem.
And personally think the current Orca--which shoot a big svalo of missiles at one time but has to wait a long time before the next shoot, and needs no reload on helipad--is more like a hit-and-run missile-bike rather than a aircraft. RA Longbow style feels better(helipad reload, smaller shoot interval, more armor to compensate they have to stay in enemy fire more).

BTW:
me likes the tank wreckage system of OpenRa very much
me tryed to shoot down NOD cargo planes with Orcas but un-surprisingly failed:lol: