A couple of errors running OpenRA.Game

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Minesae

A couple of errors running OpenRA.Game

Post by Minesae »

Myself and another friend had no problem running OpenRA on our Windows 7 computers, but two of our other friends are having a bit of a difficult time getting things to work. Neither can start up OpenRA.Game.exe and both are using Windows 7 64-bit as well. Thank you in advance for the time put into trying to find a fix to these errors! I can say I enjoy what OpenRA offers so much already.

Game version for both users is 20110511

Here is the first exception log:
System.InvalidOperationException: GL Error: 1282
at OpenRA.Renderer.Glsl.GraphicsDevice.CheckGlError()
at OpenRA.Renderer.Glsl.Shader..ctor(GraphicsDevice dev, String type)
at OpenRA.Renderer.Glsl.GraphicsDevice.CreateShader(String name)
at OpenRA.Graphics.Renderer..ctor()
at OpenRA.Game.Initialize(Arguments args)
at OpenRA.Program.Run(String[] args)
at OpenRA.Program.Main(String[] args)
Here is the second exception log:
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
at Tao.Sdl.Sdl.SDL_SetVideoMode(Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 bpp, Int32 flags)
at OpenRA.Renderer.Glsl.GraphicsDevice..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, WindowMode window, Boolean vsync)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType)
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct signature, RuntimeTypeHandle declaringType)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at OpenRA.Graphics.Renderer.CreateDevice(Assembly rendererDll, Int32 width, Int32 height, WindowMode window, Boolean vsync)
at OpenRA.Graphics.Renderer.Initialize(WindowMode windowMode)
at OpenRA.Game.Initialize(Arguments args)

beedee

Post by beedee »

The first error is a common one for unsupported Intel GPUs, try installing the Nvidia CG toolkit (needs registration) and passing "Game.Renderer=Cg" to the game as a command line option.

The second one is a bug in a third party library, I don't know why exactly it's happening but it may be trying to use a resolution not supported by the graphics card or monitor. There are guides elsewhere on how to change the resolution of the game through the config file.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Also make sure that they have the latest drivers supplied by their graphics card vendor (NOT via windows update - the drivers that are included with windows don't include proper OpenGL support in many cases).

Trouby

Post by Trouby »

I had also problems launching OpenRA from Windows 7. After installing the suggested Nvidia CG toolkit, I could start the game. Thanks for the help, it's a great game!