OpenRA Review

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
William the Conqueror

OpenRA Review

Post by William the Conqueror »

Just finished playing a round against a bot for the first time. I give this a 5/5! Excellent job!
Playing this old game again was a blast. I've always wanted to play skirmish on original C&C, and now I have! :D Looking forward to updates on this.

Now for things I noticed:

Cons/Bugs:
No options for Hotkeys
Options for Video settings are buggy: Tick box for fullscreen doesn't uncheck.
Video settings are such that it's hard to see the soldiers on larger monitors. Couldn't find a way to change settings via the yaml without causing a crash on startup.
The rightclicking was bugging me, needs an option for original click setup.
Diplomacy pop-up box has no close button, took me a few seconds to realize I had to click the button again to get it to go away.
No hotkeys for sell and repair (this used to be something like "S" and "K") Also no hotkey guide or settings as I mentioned above.
Confusing as to whether game is for Internet or LAN
Clicking on the minimap doesn't change it to show kills per side, needs a button for this too.
If you place a Gaurd Tower behind an Advanced Gaurd Tower, then you can't repair it.

Pros/Awesomeness:
Plays very smoothly
Tracer lines effect on aircraft is very sleek
Full select functionality is same for RA and original C&C
Screen-shake effect on explosions are cool
Ability to create a game against just a bot is great, this allows for skirmish in original C&C which is something I've always wanted to do.
Great menu system, very stylish and in keeping with the originals
Cool color chooser
Buy menu setup is awesome! Just like RA2.
Quick and easy install

Suggestions:
Singleplayer mode for RA and C&C, new missions are welcome!
More settings, especially one where you can pick your video mode.
Implementation of RA2
Mod to allow play using assets from RA2, RA1, and C&C.
Singleplayer mode for Mod mentioned above.

Generalcamo

Post by Generalcamo »

RA2 and TS cannot be done. Due to the fact they use a different engine, and ea would probably sue them.

Although, dune 2 can...

William the Conqueror

Oh... well a mod that mixes the 2 we've got together would be cool, with 4 different side choices.

William the Conqueror

Noticed some more things today:

Cons/Bugs
Capturing other side's buildings doesn't give ability to build with other side's technologies. this was disappointing after carefully capturing the enemy conyard.
Positional sound bias is too small, needs more smoothed out change from left ear to right ear and vise versa.
Crashes when ran on Windows 7, probably just need to change my compatability settings.

Auto attack can be somewhat annoying: soldiers tailing harvesters indefinitely, mammoth tanks not following orders immediately, units attack buildings without my telling them too (Hey, what if I wanted to capture that!), defense structures attack buildings automatically too.

More Pros
Auto minefield laying is a wonderful!
Artillary-like missile submarines are pretty cool
The Flak truck is neat
Que in Buy Menu for Everything, not just units...very handy
Refinery is cheap
No useless Fake buildings, though I never really got a chance to use them originally

riderr3

Post by riderr3 »

AI players dont fight each other, or just I missed something? :o0:
anyway even this alpha version looking good.

Holy_Master

Post by Holy_Master »

can you allow modder to resize scale of game tile to make modder can add bigger size of building & unit? [maybe for double]?

and allow player double click on unit to select all same type of unit in the screen. [ and move deploy to abilities icon on interface like i suggest before]

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Mods can define TileSize: XX line in their mod.yaml to change the default tile size. Note that this requires the artwork to be sized appropriately, it won't rescale existing tileset art.