Some reccomendations or suggestions

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
TiberFCSL

Some reccomendations or suggestions

Post by TiberFCSL »

If you want OpenRA to be enjoyed by everyone, there are some things that you can't do:
- The fog. I suggest to keep the shroud the same as the original Red Alert, or make an option to turn it on/off. I'm one of the players that hate the new fog, I found it very annoying.
- To make new units. The gameplay doesn't have to be altered too much, except if there's a new enhanced game mode.
- To use the right mouse button for giving orders. Every C&C player is used to the other one.
Some suggestions:
Make an option to change the resolution, 1024x768 makes the units too little for my eyes, for example.
Make the fast-scrolling cursor, like in TS and RA2.

Here there are some reasons why some players can prefer a TS/RA2 to RA1 total conversion instead of OpenRA. In fact, there's a mod for TS that's still being made called Red Alert Reloaded, and if they finish their mod well, it can be better than OpenRA to some players. And if we talk about Tiberian Dawn mod, I think Dawn of the Tiberium Age (for Tiberian Sun) is far better than OpenRA's mod.

beedee

Post by beedee »

As has been stated many times, our aim isn't to just remake C&C and RA, it's to reimagine it to our vision for the game.

We are doing this for free in our spare time and while we'd like to be able to please everyone, if we stray from our vision to please the purists, it quickly becomes work and not fun. If that eventuated, the project would be abandoned like every other half-finished C&C/RA remake out there.

If you don't like how we do things, the engine is open-source and is free to anyone to fork or mod under the terms of the GPL.

It's also slightly arrogant of you to claim that your "suggestions" would make the game be enjoyed by everyone. We've had plenty of positive feedback by a number of people about the changes we've made, enough that these kind of suggestions (all of which we've had several times in the past) are definitely not a priority for us.

I don't mean to berate you specifically for this. We certainly admire the passion that many of you have for the original games but please try to understand you are not the only audience for our project.

P.S. You can change your resolution, look in settings.yaml in My Documents/OpenRA for an option to change the fullscreen resolution.

TiberFCSL

Post by TiberFCSL »

Sorry for being arrogant and annoying and for saying things that can bother you, I was just trying to help :)
And I still think that if you do some of the things that I suggested, the game would please even more people!!!
And I still have things to say but I GTG now. Just constructive criticism ;)

PS.: Thanks for helping me with my resolution issue.

TiberFCSL

Post by TiberFCSL »

First or all, sorry, I thought that you wanted to remake the games. Reimagine the games to your vision is a very good idea, but I tell you, if you do remakes it's not a bad idea and would please a lot more people than now. I know, you told me that it can become a tedious work and not fun, but I tell you, the differences between OpenRA's RA and the original RA are not that much, in fact, I think they're almost the same, and I suppose (I don't know really) that it would be easy to do the remake. The same for Tiberian Dawn.

I think and I know I'm not the only one who thinks that making "enhanced" game modes following your vision would be a good idea, in fact there are total conversions out there that have both the two options, classic and enhanced mode and they're popular. (For example, Return of the Dawn for TS and The Dawn of the Tiberium Age also for TS).

Second, I knew the engine is open-source and that is a great advantage, and I like it a lot... perhaps some programmer could do the remakes for you, it would be cool!!

Third, I don't think my suggestions don't matter. I don't think I'm the only one who dislikes the fog, I think that a lot of people think the same, but please correct me if I'm wrong, because all of the modern RTSs have this feature, even the latests C&Cs, and some people can call it an improvement.

The matter about which mouse button has to be used to give orders can seem like an insignificant thing, but I don't think so. All the classic C&Cs and the Dune Series from Westwood used the left button, and not just that, the new C&Cs (Generals, C&C3 and RA3) also follow this kind of "rule", I think it has become characteristic from the C&C style. Don't you wonder why Westwood and even EA do this? They know it's a lot more comfortable for C&C players, although, the last two have the option to change it, and I don't think that implementing this option in OpenRA would be a bad idea. But I put emphasis in saying that most C&C players feel more comfortable using the left mouse button, and that's very important.

About the matter of the fast-scrolling cursor, I think it's not very important, but just extremely comfortable.

I hope to be helpful, keep up the good work!!

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

I'm not sure what you mean by "Fast scrolling cursor like TS/RA2", but you can increase the scroll speed from the settings menu. You can also click and drag using middle-mouse-button to drag the map, or click on the minimap to jump to a given part of the map.

I agree with you on the "classic" mouse orders, and it is on our list of things to do. Unfortunately, it requires our mouse interaction model to be completely rewritten to support it as an option, so it is not a high priority right now :)

Likewise, we are happy to support anyone who wants to create a "Classic Mode" mod, but our time is far better spent working on features that we actually want, and enjoy working on. There has been a lot of talk on our IRC channel from people wanting to create such a mod, but as far as I know, nobody has actually started on one.

ragingirish

Post by ragingirish »

so in the next edition could I see..
Gap generators? Chrono tank? cheaper light tanks? Mechanic? Could we increase the speed of the launch of the spy sat.?

I know you said you didn't care for gap generators however I find them very useful. They prevent someone from seeing my defenses and planing attacks.

hamb

Post by hamb »

I quite like gap generators as well. Not the mobile ones too much, but I definitely agree! I would use them online a bit :)

Player3000

Post by Player3000 »

Hello Forum

First things first: kudos to the developers of the game for the idea and the implementation of the game. At last you have even a little more clarity on the battlefield.
I would only wish for the future that we can perhaps change the control (original or current) and objects (houses, vehicles, etc.) at high resolutions may be slightly larger or can be made as far as is possible at all. It would also be nice if you could turn off the fog.

PS: Sorry for the bad translation from Google, I am from Germany.

ragingirish

Post by ragingirish »

Had a thought and wanted to share it before I thought it all the way through.

Could you make walls and sand bags independently constructable. Basically make it so you could build walls and defensive structures at the same time what do you think?

spyda46

Post by spyda46 »

why isn't there an option to drag a box and fill in the map editor like there was with the old one? If there is then please let me know thanks

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

You can floodfill a closed area by shift-click.

spyda46

Post by spyda46 »

chrisf wrote: You can floodfill a closed area by shift-click.
I ve tried clicking holding shift, this doesn't work for me - I ma using the latest build from your site are you sure its enabled for this i am tried everything to get this to work

Please help!

Thanks

spyda46

Post by spyda46 »

Yes sorry this does work but only for grass / water - i need it for Gems / Ore

Holy_Master

Post by Holy_Master »

only reason i didn't enjoy with ORA is the game speed too slow. in the early game everything is about wait. if the original game have 6 level game speed i think you should give it on level 5.