Game play suggestions

suggestions for game play

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
steveredd

Gameplay suggestions

Post by steveredd »

I love what you have done with the game thus far but as for adding things id like the retaliton units to come back. Also This needs to be RA 1 not RA 2.

Now i would like to see the abitly to have my cursor change into teh attack sighn so i can calear out husks.

Also would like to see the black radar screen. Meaning when i played the orginal yoru radar was a black screen with a box until you had a radar put in.

Tech levels and bot start postions need to be set in the game creation menu. Also single player , and skirmish / Multiplayer mode added to the menus.

Like i said i watn it to be like relation again Thanks guys!!

Cooper

Post by Cooper »

- Win/Loss (production/gather) stats at the end of a game, maybe a graph eventually.
- option to turn off fog of war (eg one discovered its viewable)

That would be lovely!

ragingirish

Post by ragingirish »

how about multipule display options would be nice to have two or more windows like supreme commander did.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

ragingirish wrote: how about multipule display options would be nice to have two or more windows like supreme commander did.
How do you mean?

gene

Post by gene »

Some thoughts on improving game mechanics:

1. AUTO REPAIR. A toggle button at top of menu which repairs all damaged buildings automatically. Turn it off if you are low on cash and want to micromanage repairs.

2. Improve build queue interface:
- When you click on starting a new building it would add a small square icon at top left of screen. If that's what's being built right now, it'd follow the same hourglass lightening pattern as currently the main menu does
- If you add further items to the queue, it would stack them next to the right of what's being built right now. The stacks would only be left-to-right of buildings of the same type. For buildings/units that don't block each other, multiple projects would appear as squares below one another
- Once the leftmost item on the stack gets built, it disappears and the rest of the stack moves one square to the left. The next leftmost item starts being built.
- Right click on a stacked square to cancel it, moving everyting to the right of it, one step left in the stack. For the leftmost thing on the stack that currently is being built, pause it on first right click, cancel it on the second one
- Drag and drop stacked squares to move their relative position to one another
- Those who don't like the new interface can turn it off, as the current way to manage builds and queues would still work.

3. As in original, make your units not automatically attack enemy structures that are not defensive. Right now they attack everything (and even if you tell them to move away, they will fire while moving until its out of their attack radius), and this makes capturing harder.

4. As in original, add option to tell a unit to guard a friendly and follow them around, as there was in the original?

5. As in original, let Tanya C4 bridges.

6. Let engineers repair damaged bridges (just like repairing a building, you lose the engineer doing so)

7. As suggested earlier, some basic 3-level tech level restriction would be nice:

- Tactical (only basic infantry and light vehicles)
- Regular (most stuff except superweapons)
- Total War (everything in)

Also, is it a bug or feature that building multiple buidings of same time does not speedup production of relevant units/powers, or other buildings in case of 2nd+ construction yard? In the original it helped speedup a later-stage game when money is plentiful but slow production can drag a game a long time.

ray

Some thoughts.

Post by ray »

some thoughts.

the openra 'money' sound is too loud. the constant loud beeping.. you know.

I like the overal gameplay but i dislike the burning tanks blocking the way. We had a cnc game where we both had many many towers and just small entry ways into our base. so in that situation noone can win. all tanks get destroyed and block the way and no unit reaches the towers. infantry gets crushed too fast. since multiple buildings can be built simultaneously this just gets worse. towers can be rebuilt faster than normal units get close.

units at sea and units in general should not just move towards the target and then start attacking. that way they just end in friendly fire.

i think the mammoth tank is way to strong. compared to the other units that damage themselves or damage other units when the target they were firing at vanishes. nod has a huge disadvantage there.

Some keyboard shortcuts i remember from the original games were useful..
M -> jump to last Message. (most useful - at least when somethings under attack)
h -> home key, jump to 1st base (cycle?)
Guarding, maybe even engineers guarding buildings might be nice.
Patroling

collectors sometimes take the strangest possible way.. like through the enemy base at the other end of the map.

Let's not select mine layer units and medics just like collectors get excluded. Planes maybe also.

Is it intentional, that engineers can't repair captured oil rigs? (in ra)

in cnc only damaged units move to the repair plant. that's nice. i'd like to see that in ra too.

recently we played some tiberian sun and this are some notes i made in comparison with the experience with openra and cnc mod.

bots run through tiberium (i think infantry should avoid this - maybe with higher path cost or something)
units have targets (red line) but they don't follow their target like the units in openra do
collector units actively target for crushing infantry (by ai players)
they sell buildings
sold buildings spawn units
they repair buildings right when it's damaged even slightly
they attack your base, even while they are under attack
they use planes and use missiles and the ion cannon (even at targets they can't know)
they don't collect crates. (maybe ai should do?)
the m key takes you to the last message, but unfortunately they also send messages for new built units.. so this features made the gameplay worse
the ai from westwood massively cheats (...) or so it seems..

ray

air units

Post by ray »

air units should damage buildings / units they fall upon. damage maybe depending on the ammo value they still carried. so if the anti air units take down a plane that could not fire, at least the plane does some damage. (anyone remembering the kknd style of crashing bombers? they fell slowly and damaged a whole line of units where they came down)

JOo

Post by JOo »

hello , sry for my english

my suggestions for OpenRA:

- C&C/RA vanilla ... with all units and buildings like the original Game
- or insert the deleted units/buildings and give them new sense
+ thief (steal big vehicles like mammoths/artillery ?)
+ mechanic ( rebuild destroyed bridges? find and deactivate mines ? )
... only thoughts ^^

- accounts with win/lose-counter