Game play suggestions

suggestions for game play

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
ragingirish

raised turret

Post by ragingirish »

I would like to see a second build option for the allied turret. Could we have a second turret built up on a chunk of wall that would be able to fire over walls and structures. I think the price would be around 800 in comparison to the standard ground based one.

ragingirish

Post by ragingirish »

I just got done playing a 3 hr game on seru's competition map for 8. It ended in a stale mate, maybe a win for me if I kept at it for another hour. It got me thinking for those long drawn out games what might turn the tide would be purchasing up tech grades.

On another tab make a tech tab. On that tab you can purchase special abilities such as: increase build speed for war factory ($5,000 increase build speed by 10% for example) or better ore miners, or tougher; faster troops, increase range of defensive structures, ect. This style of game play is common with modern RTS games of the day so it should be in keeping with the idea of openRA's modern styling. I really would like to see something like this implemented.

AMDK62500

Post by AMDK62500 »

I wish it were all the same to the original, adding ships to the AI.

enginuity

Post by enginuity »

In the original, AI never built ships... it was scripted in the campaigns, but in skirmish games they weren't capable of building ships.

AMDK62500

Post by AMDK62500 »

Is there a way for them to build ships?

enginuity

Post by enginuity »

It could be programmed in... but there are many issues: how does it know what maps to build it on, how can you make sure it doesnt build it in a small lake, etc.

AMDK62500

Post by AMDK62500 »

We will address these issues so ... and after that there would not be nothing to stop ... and finally put the ships in the game ...

LEGO

Post by LEGO »

In RA2 Westwood deal this issue with a somewhat easy way:
they manually set the tech-level of shipyards in all "ground battle maps" to be -1, thus disable everyone including AI from building it.

FreakNigh

Post by FreakNigh »

use flood fill algorithm to mark all the water regions. Everytime a building is built or destroyed check if it is within attackable radius from any water regions. If it is put it in that regions list of attackable buildings. If the AI can build ships in a water region that has attackable enemy buildings or enemy ships then do so.

AMDK62500

Post by AMDK62500 »

FreakNigh wrote: use flood fill algorithm to mark all the water regions. Everytime a building is built or destroyed check if it is within attackable radius from any water regions. If it is put it in that regions list of attackable buildings. If the AI can build ships in a water region that has attackable enemy buildings or enemy ships then do so.
This alone is enough or need something else to be able to put the ships?

FreakNigh

Post by FreakNigh »

That's a crude'ish simple approach but it is up to the developers of openra.

Also if the AI deems it worth while to have ships in a certain water region then it can use a path finding algorithm to build its way there granted if that water region is even a threat anyways.

AMDK62500

Post by AMDK62500 »

I would then put the request to keep the ships and the AI is equal to the original

AntiNeko

Post by AntiNeko »

chrisf wrote: 1) Tanya for allies only

Agreed, but we would need a similar 'elite infantry' for soviet. Suggestions?
Volkov, of course! He's a soviet cyborg from the Counterstrike-expansion.

riderr3

Post by riderr3 »

AMDK62500 wrote: Is there a way for them to build ships?
I checked sources already, changed and compiled some code. AI now can build shipyards, naval units. BUT! AI naval units just stay near shipyard and don't attack my base. They just guarding the area and shoots only when my units is near. I can't find a clue to make AI ships attack the enemy bases :roll:

Also I'm find some things which not present yet in OpenRA AI players(depends on original RA):

-I add the engineers, but they won't capture buildings
-APC's and other transport without infantry
-they not build ore trucks from war factory, because can't move after this FIXED
-without special weapons (except the GPS satellite)
-planes won't attack

DraLUSAD

Re: Game play suggestions

Post by DraLUSAD »

ragingirish wrote: I figure this area can be where we make suggestions for the game.
I'll start
1. Tanya should not be available to Russia.
2. Allies need an AA mobile unit.
3. Dogs for Allies
4. A10 for Allies give back the Hind to Russia?
5. Where is the thief?
6. Spies to work similar to RA2
5. If Russia gets a free Paratrooper drop what should the Allies get.
6. Gap generators, mobile gap generator, radar jammer, chrono tank, mechanic
7. Can we get rid of the need for silos?

I know most of this will be addressed in future builds. Just wanted to have a suggestion box for myself and others. As the game stands right now in Alpha I love it.
You want to keep the Old RA Feel rather what we know now, let me state

Q. Tanya should not be available to Russia.
A. Thats a good idea, Volkov was Soviets Elite unit!

Q. Allies need an AA mobile unit.
A. Are Rocket Troopers/Destroyers aint enough?

Q. Dogs for Allies
A. NO!, its not RA2, this is RA1/Retaliation!

Q. A10 for Allies give back the Hind to Russia?
A. I feel that both sides get them Hind and Longbow, as they help balance the sky a bit

Q. Where is the thief?
A. Yeah, where is it :/

Q. Spies to work similar to RA2
A. NO! again, this needs to keep the old RA1 feel and not RA2

Q. If Russia gets a free Paratrooper drop what should the Allies get.
A. Perhaps allies should get it too

Q. Gap generators, mobile gap generator, radar jammer, chrono tank, mechanic
A. Wonder why i couldnt see them, perhaps they are just developing them?

Q. Can we get rid of the need for silos?
A. Keep to the old C&C/RA feel, i do agree keeping the silo's, because your capped thus, adds slight stratergy in play, you earn cash, with no cap, you might was well add an Infinty ore field instead!

As for the new stuff in RA, i would not like to change its feel, if thats the case, a seperate mod then, for the new comers, and keep the old RA feel for the old timers