what happen to most important game feature !?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Cemisti

Post by Cemisti »

Adjusting game speed was the most annoying feature of the old C&C games. It was removed on the newer ones for a good reason. As for the WF issue, that kinda sucks. Hopefully they plan on implementing seperate build queues for production buildings of same type.

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

Have a look at what the C&C mod does, with separate queues for each building. We're trying to decide whether to do that in RA too.

beedee

Post by beedee »

The "slowness" of the game speed is a conscious design decision to increase focus on the early game and not just have it devolve into a tank rush like vanilla RA often did.

We may have an option in the future to increase game speed but it certainly isn't something that is a priority for us. We want to create a balanced game experience, something that the original didn't achieve very well.

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

@Jayman: Keep watching. We're not finished the production model, we know we have to do some kind of acceleration for having more structures. We're currently leaning toward having independent queues for each structure, though. Try it in CNC and tell me what you think.

beedee

Post by beedee »

Jayman, my comment was more about the overall speed of the game, not to do with production speeds with multiple production buildings (as chrisf has mentioned twice now, we're working on that). If you think there is no skill or strategy in our current builds, I would suggest you try it again but try experimenting a bit more.

We felt there was little point in recreating an identical experience to the original game. If people wanted that, they can just play the original.

Iran

Post by Iran »

Or mod/write it themself.

TagoMago

Post by TagoMago »

(First I want to apologize for my bad english :P)
I think independent quees for each structure is the way to go, but if what you want is to focus on early game I think you should decrease the starting money and give the players more oppening options (that way scouting would have a key role in the game). For example making the refinery able to produce harvesters would be really intresting, because you are not forced to build a warfactory to have a stronger economy, so you could save those 2k to build an early Helipad, more barracks or whatever suits your play style. But thats just a suggestion, overall I think you have done an amazing job, I really liked that raw/ processed tiberium mechanic and the lack of those annoying squishing tanks (which basically made infantry useless).
Keep up the good work.

daarkmana

Post by daarkmana »

Hi all,

I realize I am reviving this thread after 2 years as I am surprised that the issue of production has not been resolved.

This is a fundamental aspect of RTS games: a player that spend time and resources on creating production buildings (e.g. War Factories) must be rewarded. If production is constant during the game, there is no point in maintaining an income increase. This will result in limiting greatly the number of strategic decisions that a player can make at a point in the game.

I hope that this issue is addressed soon.

Regards,

Daarkmana

Matt

Post by Matt »

See https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/9 for the code.

I think there should at least be an option so if someone decides to make a classic mods which does not have independent build queues but uses the speedup option.