Coming back since years... some things have been removed. Why?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
psaez

Coming back since years... some things have been removed. Why?

Post by psaez »

Hi, I played this game some years ago, and now I returned. I downloaded the last playtest from november 2022 and I'm missing some things:

POINT 1: I remember a very cool statistics screen after a game ends, were you can see how many units built, gold gain, gold spent, units lost, etc... for each player. Why not anymore?

POINT 2: Also I remember that it was possible to see more map, upping the camera zoom level, now that is not possible. Why? That was extremely great and enjoyable. Graphics become better (less pixelated) with upper zoom and also you can see more map when playing, more fun! In fact, in the main menu screen of the game, the map that is being displayed below the menu, it's using that great old zoom level!

POINT 3: Also, I remember it was possible to select other countries different from original red alert. For example it was possible to select Spain.

POINT 4: Finally, I think the maximum speed possible was much faster in the past. Now even playing with "fastest" game speed the vehicles are slower than before. Why those previous speeds have been also removed?

Why these three things have been dissapeared? They were great.

EDIT: I see that at least POINT 2 can be adjusted in the configuration menu, with "far" battlefield camera.

Blackened

Re: Coming back since years... some things have been removed. Why?

Post by Blackened »

1) the statistics screen was likely moved since you last played. If you hit escape or return to the map you'll see the stats overplay in the top left. Instead of blocking out the whole screen its not relegated to the corner. That way you can still see the game while spectating and view stats at the same time.

2) you've already figured out. But I'd like to add you can now scroll from near to far and any size in between rather than have set levels. You can also zoom even further while spectating.

3) This was removed before my time but the factions have had some rework and balancing done over the years. Excess allied factions were probably dropped because there were so many and the faction bonuses found in ra95 aren't in the ORA version.

4) As far as I know there hasn't been any changes in the speed settings, but there likely has been some changes to unit speeds which may account for them feeling slower to you

anjew

Post by anjew »

psaez wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:23 pm
POINT 1: I remember a very cool statistics screen after a game ends, were you can see how many units built, gold gain, gold spent, units lost, etc... for each player. Why not anymore?
Like blackened said, its still accesible. You just need to return to the map and click in the top left
psaez wrote:
POINT 2: Also I remember that it was possible to see more map, upping the camera zoom level, now that is not possible. Why? That was extremely great and enjoyable. Graphics become better (less pixelated) with upper zoom and also you can see more map when playing, more fun! In fact, in the main menu screen of the game, the map that is being displayed below the menu, it's using that great old zoom level!
Im almost certain that Far is almost exactly the same for 1080p before the battlefield camera change.
If you want a bigger size than far, you will need a monitor with a higher resolution than 1920/1080 (i think) which gives furtherest.
If you really want the minutiae of why it was changed, it's all here https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/17424

psaez wrote:
POINT 3: Also, I remember it was possible to select other countries different from original red alert. For example it was possible to select Spain.
Spain was never a faction in the base game of OpenRA. Factions were added in 2015 and spain was not one of them
psaez wrote:
POINT 4: Finally, I think the maximum speed possible was much faster in the past. Now even playing with "fastest" game speed the vehicles are slower than before. Why those previous speeds have been also removed?
If you're asking about the speed of units at the fastest, blackened may well be correct in saying that all the fast units have been nerfed. If you think that the game speed of fastest is slower, Im almost certain thats not the case. Those speeds have remained consistent over the years.
psaez wrote:
Why these three things have been dissapeared? They were great.
In short:
1. It's still there
2. It's still there
3. It was never possible
4. Units change
Last edited by anjew on Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psaez

Post by psaez »

anjew wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:23 am
Spain was never a faction in the base game of OpenRA. Factions were added in 2015 and spain was not one of them

If you're asking about the speed of units at the fastest, blackened may well be correct in saying that all the fast units have been nerfed. If you think that the game speed of fastest is slower, Im almost certain thats not the case. Those speeds have remained consistent over the years.
Blackened wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:17 pm
3) This was removed before my time but the factions have had some rework and balancing done over the years. Excess allied factions were probably dropped because there were so many and the faction bonuses found in ra95 aren't in the ORA version.

4) As far as I know there hasn't been any changes in the speed settings, but there likely has been some changes to unit speeds which may account for them feeling slower to you
Hi guys. I think spain (and other countries) was present, because I have memories when we installed openra in our old work office and we played using our own country, spain. I'm not 100% sure because we played some more games, but I think it was present.

About the speed, I'm also 99% sure it was possible to put it faster, because I enjoyed a lot to fullfill a world map with IA players and spectate them with a very fast speed. With that speed they build all pretty fast and combats were super fast too. Now with fastest speed possible spectate is very slow compared with my memories.

Maybe something of this has changed and you don't remember it or you werent here when it changed?

ThomasChr

Post by ThomasChr »

Maybe you mean the replay speed? Replay speed can be much faster…

psaez

Post by psaez »

ThomasChr wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:53 am
Maybe you mean the replay speed? Replay speed can be much faster…
no, it was live spectator gameplay

Punsho

Post by Punsho »

It may be that your gaming setup is weaker. Fastest can only run as fast as your computer can handle it

psaez

Post by psaez »

Punsho wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:44 pm
It may be that your gaming setup is weaker. Fastest can only run as fast as your computer can handle it
it's the same computer than years ago, do you mean that fastest doesn't have a limit and can go even faster when you have more cpu?