The Soviet Tanya

Revisiting the cutting room floor.

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

Add Volkov and Chitzkoi to the Soviet skirmish/multiplayer arsenal as the Soviet Tanya

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 30

RadicalEdward2

Post by RadicalEdward2 »

JuiceBox wrote: Tanya is only op if your retarded enough to run your infantry into her. Soviets have enough late game cool toys all they lack is a decent scout.
Agreed. The only time Tanya truly was OP was in Yuri's Revenge:
- Uncrushable (aside from the Fortress Tank)
- Could Swim
- C4 ground AND naval units
- C4 buildings
- 1HK on everything (except maybe 2 shots at Brutes)

I don't remember the damage ratio towards other Hero units.

The only thing that could stop her was a cheese Chrono Shift (use chronoshift on anything with flesh kills it instantly and this feature should be in OpenRA if it isn't), air units, garrisoned structures, or maybe Snipers (Virus/Brit).

Tanya in her current state is relatively balanced but, I think she should be able to take potshots at vehicles even if it doesn't do much. One peg of HP could make all the difference in a game.

Going back to Volkov, my proposal was shot down but, added to the wish list. As long as zombies never get added, I should maintain relatively salt-free (the argument about why he couldn't be in the game was "just because it could be added doesn't mean it should" but, zombies are totally fine).

However, I do still feel Russia should have Volkov with adjustments to make him balanced (the suggestions I already made).

RadicalEdward2

Post by RadicalEdward2 »

MustaphaTR wrote:
With the current dog logic, he'd either munch his way through infantry and be completely unstoppable of be utterly useless depending on his stats.
Dogs ineed needs to be fixed in other to implement a Chitzkoi properly.
Absolutely. I recently discovered that all Attack Dogs inherently have Chitzoi's cliff climbing ability. If an enemy unit is on the ground above or below it (with the cliff in the middle), then the dog can disregard the cliff completely and kill the target. So as long as the dog targets someone on the cliff above or below it, it essentially has the Zone Trooper's jump-jet ability.

Also, I might not have a recording software to prove this but, Attack Dogs should NOT be able to string 5-6 infantry kills within a span of 3 seconds.

For Chitzkoi that would make sense but, for regular Attack Dogs, that would mean Chitzkoi's already in the game but, mass produced and unarmored.

In fact, I think you can even see this happen in the menu's background battle.

zinc

Post by zinc »

Happy wrote: Its also got horrible vision so you need to hug your opponent to get any information whereas rangers can nicely observe from a distance.
True, but it's often not a problem in the early game. It's only really vulnerable to groups of rocket troops and teslas. And even a ranger can run into a tesla regardless of the superior vision.

zinc

Post by zinc »

I don't mind dogs having such a fast kill rate. They aren't OP. They are just useful in the right circumstances and instantly shot dead in others. It's a fair trade off imo.

RadicalEdward2

Post by RadicalEdward2 »

zinc wrote: I don't mind dogs having such a fast kill rate. They aren't OP. They are just useful in the right circumstances and instantly shot dead in others. It's a fair trade off imo.
Again, on attack dog can take out an entire 5 infantry squad in 2-3 seconds. That's not a fair trade and they weren't even that potent in the original game (unless you actually modded the game back in the day).

Infantry usually don't try to kill attack dogs unless you order them to (if they're already preoccupied with shooting at something or moving). You shouldn't have to literally babysit your infantry. The attack dogs lunge so fast, I honestly don't think infantry have a fast enough reaction time to even auto-target dogs when they (the infantry) are idle.

zinc

Post by zinc »

Try using them and see how often they are killed by infantry. Yes, if they are on the move they are vulnerable.

RadicalEdward2

Post by RadicalEdward2 »

But the dogs shouldn't be able to kill infantry so fast that they look like they were deleted. The dogs should be reverted back to when it did the kill animation for every infantry it mauls. It's a dog. Not a velociraptor or a lightsaber.

There shouldn't be even a debate over that. The kill animation wasn't even that long either. It was like half a second in the original game. In OpenRA, there's no kill animation until the dog finishes swallowing all the units on a single tile.

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

Someone needs to implement that

zinc

Post by zinc »

There are plenty of things that aren't exactly realistic in red alert...

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

lucassss wrote: Someone needs to implement that
What someone needs to implement is a retard filter for this forum
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

Just to clarify, becuase I might have been misheard. I did not mean that it is important to implement this feature, I meant to say to the people that want it that asking for features is easy, but in the end someone has to implement them, which is actual coding work. I do not think that this change in dogs is important for now.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

RadicalEdward2 wrote: The dogs should be reverted back to when it did the kill animation for every infantry it mauls. It's a dog. Not a velociraptor or a lightsaber.
There is nothing to revert to. This is one of several things that has never worked properly with dogs in OpenRA.

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

zinc wrote:
Happy wrote: Its also got horrible vision so you need to hug your opponent to get any information whereas rangers can nicely observe from a distance.
True, but it's often not a problem in the early game. It's only really vulnerable to groups of rocket troops and teslas. And even a ranger can run into a tesla regardless of the superior vision.
I build 7 rockets after my second pp the only thing your APC is going to scout is death.

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

Only 7 ????
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

JuiceBox wrote: Only 7 ????
Rifle spam op