The Soviet Tanya

Revisiting the cutting room floor.

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

Add Volkov and Chitzkoi to the Soviet skirmish/multiplayer arsenal as the Soviet Tanya

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 30

RadicalEdward2

Post by RadicalEdward2 »

I know this is a double post but, I think ALL Attack Dogs actually have Chitzkoi's climbing ability.
If an Attack Dog targets a unit that on the cliff edge above it, it WILL just up to that level and kill the target!

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

fiveaces ( ;) ) made a nice modmap with volkov. In his map, volkov costs 1200 and has 3 abilities:

1) C4 a building
2) Cloaks unless shooting.
3) Has a specialized mostly silent high ranged sniper rifle that can only shoot vehicles, but causes A LOT of damage to them (I think it can kill an ore truck in 4 shots). He was useful either to take out ore trucks, or to assist in small battles from behind).

I actually think that was a good implmementation.
Last edited by lucassss on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

Tanya is really really overpowered for what it does. For the same price you can either get 4 rocket troopers or a tanya. I am not a fan of unique units. Limit of 1 at once does not do enough for balance standpoint.

If we somehow want to add a unique unit to soviets, unique vehicle would be more interesting than a tanya clone in my opinion.
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
-Sun Tzu

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

Tanya is only op if your retarded enough to run your infantry into her. Soviets have enough late game cool toys all they lack is a decent scout.
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

zinc

Post by zinc »

Doomsday wrote: Tanya is really really overpowered for what it does. For the same price you can either get 4 rocket troopers or a tanya. I am not a fan of unique units. Limit of 1 at once does not do enough for balance standpoint.

If we somehow want to add a unique unit to soviets, unique vehicle would be more interesting than a tanya clone in my opinion.
I don't think anyone in this thread has been arguing for a "Tanya clone".

A unique vehicle would probably mean going away from original units.

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

lucassss wrote: soscared made a nice modmap with volkov. In his map, volkov costs 1200 and has 3 abilities:

1) C4 a building
3) Has a specialized mostly silent high ranged sniper rifle that can only shoot vehicles, but causes A LOT of damage to them (I think it can kill an ore truck in 4 shots). He was useful either to take out ore trucks, or to assist in small battles from behind).
Hah, that was a map by me, I wanted for him to have a different role and since the Sovs lack good scouting tools,
I gave him permanent cloak as long as he's not attacking.
His role was to scout the perimeter and snipe unsuspecting artilleries, but idk if that really fits with his lore as a cyborg commando.

As for Chitzkoi, I really can't see him working in a competitive environment.
With the current dog logic, he'd either munch his way through infantry and be completely unstoppable of be utterly useless depending on his stats.

I still have hope that he will be re-implemented into the official mod at some point in the future.

MustaphaTR

Post by MustaphaTR »

With the current dog logic, he'd either munch his way through infantry and be completely unstoppable of be utterly useless depending on his stats.
Dogs ineed needs to be fixed in other to implement a Chitzkoi properly.

AMHOL

Post by AMHOL »

FiveAces wrote:
lucassss wrote: soscared made a nice modmap with volkov. In his map, volkov costs 1200 and has 3 abilities:

1) C4 a building
Hah, that was a map by me, I wanted for him to have a different role and since the Sovs lack good scouting tools,
I gave him permanent cloak as long as he's not attacking.
His role was to scout the perimeter and snipe unsuspecting artilleries, but idk if that really fits with his lore as a cyborg commando.

As for Chitzkoi, I really can't see him working in a competitive environment.

I still have hope that he will be re-implemented into the official mod at some point in the future.
So doge wouldn't work in terms of balance because if the stats were too strong it'd do the same as Tanya?

zinc

Post by zinc »

I suggest playing with the dog armour until (hopefully) something like, you can't just go and attack a large group of troops without being shot dead before you can munch your way through many of them; but it's useful in defending against attacks where at least some of the troops are focused on attacking other things.

zinc

Post by zinc »

JuiceBox wrote: Tanya is only op if your retarded enough to run your infantry into her. Soviets have enough late game cool toys all they lack is a decent scout.
Spy plane?

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

zinc wrote:
JuiceBox wrote: Tanya is only op if your retarded enough to run your infantry into her. Soviets have enough late game cool toys all they lack is a decent scout.
Spy plane?
I liked shorter spyplane cooldown in SoScared's experimental build. This along with better vision for soviet airplanes, soviets would be in ok shape in terms of mid to endgame scouting tools.
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
-Sun Tzu

zinc

Post by zinc »

I will also mention, that Soviets have dogs at the start of the game. In the early/mid game, they have APCs which can scout. More expensive than a ranger but then they are tougher. Later on, if you are looking for a nuke say, you can iron curtain 1 or more APCs or flak trucks and use them to scan an enemy base.

Along with the previously mentioned spy plane of course.

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

zinc wrote:
Spy plane?
Am talking about the ranger. spy plane takes too long
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

zinc

Post by zinc »

The APC will work as an early game scout. Costs more but harder to destroy.

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

Its also got horrible vision so you need to hug your opponent to get any information whereas rangers can nicely observe from a distance.