Design new countries for RA

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
MlemandPurrs

Design new countries for RA

Post by MlemandPurrs »

First some context. I can design the soviet countries well on my own, but when it comes to allies im stumped. I could use some help in getting the Allies equally interesting to play with. Suggest me things for Spain, Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey

This is what im using for my RA+ mod, where each country has:
two buffs, called 'faction variations', first is an generic buff, the second can be an unit specific buff(the unit here can be an Building or Defense instead), or in the case of France unlocked fake structures for them.
one 'veterancy bonus' that ensures the unit its affecting gets built at rank 1 when trained by this country,
one 'unique support power', this comes generally as one of two types: its either an 'unit summon' type of power(Paratanks, Sniperdrop, Decoy Army etc.) or an click to use power providing otherwise unavailable utility(Field Repairs, GPS Scrambler, EMP Bomb)to make it worth of use.
and up to three 'special units', those are units that can only be trained by this country. Mandatory are one Infantry and one Vehicle per country, with the third option being reserved for an extra naval unit/building/defense or an second non-combat vehicle providing some interesting utility.

Some more explanation of the two buffs. Firstly, the generic buff. it gets constructed like this:
column 1 contains the class of unit,
this can be Infantry, Tanks, Aircraft, Ships, Defenses, Buildings.
column 2 contains an bonus this type of unit will get given at an rate of 10%, can be more Damage, better Rate of Fire, reduction in cost, reduction in buildtime, increased attack range, more health, increased xp gain rate, faster movespeed, etc.
column 3 contains an malus to offset the bonus achieved by the unit. At the usual this is an malus in another field. Sometimes have to think outside the norm to make it less repeated across the board.
examples: Tanks are cheaper to build but have less health. ; Tanks* fire faster but deal less damage. ; Buildings are cheaper to build but explode when reaching 20% Health.

The second buff, unit specific buff does something not exactly achievable otherwise to make it worthwhile.
examples: ; Radar Domes increased Sight and Detection radius ; Mechanic has +2 Range bonus ; Tesla Coils use -20 less power ; V2 Rockets travel faster ; Ore Trucks carry +10 more Ore per trip. ; Concrete Walls have double health ; Medics heal more often. ; Engineers are armed. ; GAP tech increased effect radius ; etc.

You not necessarily have to follow what im doing, any idea will be welcomed as its better than none.

Ronald

Re: Design new countries for RA

Post by Ronald »

Last edited by Ronald on Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MlemandPurrs

Post by MlemandPurrs »

Ronald wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:13 pm
MlemandPurrs wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:36 pm
First some context. I can design the soviet countries well on my own, but when it comes to allies im stumped. I could use some help in getting the Allies equally interesting to play with. Suggest me things for Spain, Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey
Nice idea.. let get som things clear first:
1 - How do you exacly define "Allies" - as in real-world NATO countries? option 2?3?
2 - Are you only looking for these specific countries or are other "Allied"nations ideas welcome too?
3 - What type of units do you have in mind:
3a -- Current Open RED ALERT units?
3b -- Westwood's Red Alert 1,2,3, uprising units?

MlemandPurrs wrote:
This is what im using for my RA+ mod, where each country has:
two buffs, called 'faction variations',
- first is an generic buff,
- the second can be an unit specific buff(the unit here can be an Building or Defense instead),
or in the case of France unlocked fake structures for them.

one 'veterancy bonus'
- that ensures the unit its affecting gets built at rank 1 when trained by this country,
one 'unique support power',
- this comes generally as one of two types: its either an 'unit summon' type of power(Paratanks, Sniperdrop, Decoy Army etc.)
- or an click to use power providing otherwise unavailable utility(Field Repairs, GPS Scrambler, EMP Bomb)to make it worth of use.
and up to
- three 'special units', those are units that can only be trained by this country. Mandatory are one Infantry and one Vehicle per country,
with the third option being reserved for an extra naval unit/building/defense or an second non-combat vehicle providing some interesting utility.
4 - Nice approach and thinking about new unit reward structures
MlemandPurrs wrote:
Firstly, the generic buff. it gets constructed like this:
- column 1 contains the class of unit, this can be Infantry, Tanks, Aircraft, Ships, Defenses, Buildings.
5 - Check.
MlemandPurrs wrote:
- column 2 contains an bonus this type of unit will get given at an rate of 10%, can be more Damage, better Rate of Fire,
reduction in cost, reduction in buildtime, increased attack range, more health, increased xp gain rate, faster movespeed, etc.
6 - Or a reduction in plain open battlefield visibility (becoming more stealthier,the better it gets?
MlemandPurrs wrote:
- column 3 contains an malus to offset the bonus achieved by the unit. At the usual this is an malus in another field.
Sometimes have to think outside the norm to make it less repeated across the board.
Examples:
Tanks are cheaper to build but have less health. ; Tanks* fire faster but deal less damage.;
Buildings are cheaper to build but explode when reaching 20% Health.
7 - I do not see the advantage of this, more and weaker units... Can you explain more about it?
MlemandPurrs wrote:
The second buff, unit specific buff does something not exactly achievable otherwise to make it worthwhile.
Examples: ;
Radar Domes increased Sight and Detection radius ;
Mechanic has +2 Range bonus ;
Tesla Coils use -20 less power ;
V2 Rockets travel faster ;
Ore Trucks carry +10 more Ore per trip. ;
Concrete Walls have double health ;
Medics heal more often. ;
Engineers are armed. ;
GAP tech increased effect radius ; etc.
8 - Please explain more about this "not exactly achievable otherwise" remark
MlemandPurrs wrote:
You not necessarily have to follow what im doing, any idea will be welcomed as its better than none.
Couple of counter-questions:
9 - What (other game perhaps?) or whom (as in person) did you inspire to come up with this OpenRA variant?

10 - Are your suggestions technically possible inside the current limits of the OpenRA MOD SDK?
- https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Hacking
- https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRAModSDK/
- https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Modding-Guide
OR can they only be implemented when new functionalities are being added to the current OpenRA game engine?
1- As you know the game has two faction, Allies vs Soviets, those go on the Allies side.
2- others are welcomed too. preference is at getting those done first. meanwhile i have managed to assemble an set for Turkey and Greece.
3- entirely new stuff preferred, but it can be adaptation of an already existing idea or an variation to the already existing.
6&7- one bonus and one malus, that are not directly related to each other, affecting the one very same unit(s) to balance it off.
8- dont put much thought on it, other bonuses arent exactly achievable either.
9- a boatlad of rts, tbs, grand strategy etc. games i have played. UK, FR, GER bonuses are reworks of the stuff they get in original RA mp.
10- i have already implemented some for my RaPlusLite mod, if you want can take a look here: https://github.com/MlemandPurrs/raplusl ... world.yaml

Inq

Post by Inq »

Perhaps Turkey could have some Soviet units as a faction bonus? & poorer at combat but cheaper to produce infantry.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/08/turkey- ... nings.html