« Classic » OpenRA ?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Dasha

« Classic » OpenRA ?

Post by Dasha »

Hi,

Few years ago, I tried OpenRA and liked it. My group also liked it.

Afterwards, we gave a try to CnCNet and preferred it because it’s almost exactly what we used to know.

We retried OpenRA recently and saw that it more and more became a totally different game (with fire on movement, ...) and it consolidated our choice to move to CnCNet. Don’t get it wrong, I don’t say that it’s a bad thing, I just say that the direction the project took is not suitable for us.

However, there are lot’s of nice things we like in OpenRA :
- the possibility to use the right clic ;
- the possibility to enable the fog of war ;
- the improved AI over the original one (in OpenRA, AI builds naval units, nuke silo, ...) ;
- The fact that only allied can train Tanya and the fact that only one Tanya can be trained at the same time ;
- Queuing units ;

So my question is : is there a mod in OpenRA to benefit from the new engine (fog of war, ...), fix inconsistencies from the original version (improved AI, Soviets being able to train Tanya, several Tanya can be created at the same time, ...) but keep the original units stats (incl. disabling the ability to fire in movement) and tech. trees ?

For us it would mean the best of both world !

Again, don’t take it wrong. It’s just an open question.

Dasha.

anjew

Re: « Classic » OpenRA ?

Post by anjew »

I think the closest you will find in OpenRA is the RAClassic mod: https://github.com/OpenRA/raclassic

I dont think its finished but I believe its intention is returning the stats and tech trees back to the original. Not sure about the inconsistencies, that technically wouldn't be classic.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

I hope you find the RA Classic mod more suitable. It is very hard to find a balance that pleases everyone who wants a more classic experience, because everybody draws a different line between things that they consider to be bug fixes / improvements vs things that they find to be dealbreakers.

The original game did have the ability for tanks to fire while moving, but you had to use the q hotkey and they wouldn't acquire new targets on their own. OpenRA adopted the behaviour from the later C&Cs which is much more streamlined and dynamic.

Dasha

Post by Dasha »

Thanks for your replies. Indeed I saw this mod but it seemed abandonned.

Coming back to the original stats and tech trees would be already nice.

Can it be achieved by editing the yaml only ? If so, I’ll try to get it done.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Dasha wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:18 am
Even if it looked abandoned (which it is not AFAIR, just not being updated to main branch *that* frequently), it is fully operational and usable!

Inq

Post by Inq »

netnazgul wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:04 pm
Dasha wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:18 am
Even if it looked abandoned (which it is not AFAIR, just not being updated to main branch *that* frequently), it is fully operational and usable!
I just downloaded & played it. Seems perfectly functional to me.

Dasha

Post by Dasha »

Ah OK so this mod is complete ?
If so, as this mod is not supposed to evolve, it makes sense that it looks abandoned.

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Ask the great Mustaphar, it's his mod. Find him on our discord, or maybe user name search on here. He's lightly busy with 101 other mods :P

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Considering that RA-Classic does not need a lot of custom logics and OpenRA-RA covers the logic requirements, I moreso presume it's just frozen and only receives updates when there are new releases/playtests to be caught up and maintain sync with the engine.

If that is the case - it doesn't need to be updated actively between releases. It is on the engine version of the last release afterall.