OpenRA: My Performance sucks since new Release

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Vinyond

OpenRA: My Performance sucks since new Release

Post by Vinyond »

hi,

since the new release my game only runs with around 15fps constantly and to every time. Also shortly after i had started the game where only the menu and the background scene appears and without being online. So the internet connection shouldnt be the problem. I have tried it on a different PC with other hardware inside, also Win7 32bit, but there it was the same.

I have attached the perf.log.1. and had to change the unsupported ending .1 to .xml so that i could have uploaded it.
perf.log.xml
(10.1 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Performance graph when menu displays (offline):
tick: 23ms
render times: 55ms

I dont know what it causes and how to make the game fluidly as before. Maybe some of you can help me with it?

Sleipnir

Re: OpenRA: My Performance sucks since new Release

Post by Sleipnir »

What GPU does your computer have?

Vinyond

Post by Vinyond »

The GPU is old (GF 6200LE with 256MB) but i can play newer C&C Engines without those probs and the release 20180307 too. The GPU in the other PC is an onboard solution. Strangly the FPS on this device is the same. When GPUs are different this will produce various FPS between both PCs i think, but that isnt the case. I also have tried out a new installation of Win7 32 bit with small differences in Version.

The speed also doesnt depend on the size of the map or whether there is a battle. Very small maps are as fast as very big ones.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

The new release makes changes to the game renderer that dramatically improve performance (a factor of up to 2x) on most GPUs, but unfortunately yours is too old (13 years according to a quick search) to support the hardware capabilities needed for it to work properly.

I'm sorry to say that this is probably the end of the line for your GPU - we've tried to maintain compatibility for as long as we could, but avoiding 10 years of GPU tech improvements has a serious performance cost that is now a major blocker preventing the release of Tiberian Sun and hurting community mods. So we have to make some hard changes starting now to push things forward.

If you're willing to modify the game's source code you can undo the renderer changes for the current release, but I expect that this will become harder with future releases as we make bigger changes (switching to OpenGL 3 or Vulkan/Metal) to improve performance further.

Vinyond

Post by Vinyond »

I guess that it is also not easy to undo the render changes that were made in this release when i havnt programmed games yet? Or is it easy as creating a config file in the counterstrike egoshooter?

GLEB

Post by GLEB »

I have the same problem since new release on skirmish games or online servers.
Missions are still normal playable.

Win7 x64. fx8350, 8GB ram, but GPU is onboard ATI Radeon HD 4290 (RS880D) with 256MB.

It would be great if you made something like a switch for the old gpu technology. RA dont need a gpu power and u have a working solution from last release.