Tiberian sun and openra questions

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Holland

Tiberian sun and openra questions

Post by Holland »

I installed openra today cuz i wanted to test tiberian sun on it, first i tried the older games, well done. OMG i really love it. Then I tried ra2, wow! its truely amazing guys. Then I tried my fav game, TS. I was shocked an overwhelmed by openra's menu.. the 5 menu's TS has is absolutely insane, it makes TS alot more intreseting and the fact that its all so modern; prettier images, more hotkeys, deserves a real BRAVO.
I really hope the development for RA2 and especially TS will never be stopped. And I don't mind waiting years. I don't qualify to be a team member, tho i've been modding everything, mapping, creating missions and balances for TS for years. So if you need someone like that, i'll gladly help, just pm me.

I know its still a work in progress, I just wanna share the idea of the importance of keeping the original as close as possible. Thinking about it, the modern jacket is a good improvement, its actually close to Perfect now, but a game like TS, its something to avoid. Tho personally I would love to have a checkbox on cncnet's TS that implements some of the changes openra has on TS, like the divided-in-5 unit menu, instead of just 1 long menu, thats really great, and so to keep the original menu as optional, i would really like to see in openra. Or ofcourse, the only real drastic change is the fact that you can build a Defensive structure, and a basic structure at the same time, maybe to have an option to disable that, or both...

vehicles floating on slopes, i'm sure thats still a work in progress too,
aircrafts behaviour are far from the original. I can see that in this modern jacket, its part of the perfection. FOr example, the carryall keeps floating above the vehicle after putting it down, this is indeed pretty effective to be able to pick it back up so fast, but i gotta say, it has to go back on the ground like the original. But i don't know if yall were planning that already, and i'm used to the original TS ofcourse, just had to mention it lol. Many other things are different and im sure its gonna be a whole lot of work to make it as close to the original, so i still respect that.

Partly i'm talking for the oldskool TS players. TS in this new engine would be very intriguing for a lot of new people, and i really hope it would be more popular as ever. I mean there are a lot of newer games by now so yeah its gotta be more modern. And I will most definitly enjoy it, but perhaps not as much as it is playable now on cncnet. Unless the multiplayer system is gonna be great, with clans, and tourny systems, etc. Then i would definitely partake more, and just suck it up and get used to the new engine.

Talking personally... -as a modder & mapper- I would love to see also a more advanced/modern version of Final Sun implemented into the game, instead of the map editor you guys put in there now. I'm not saying its bad, just saying final sun can basically do anything to a map, and its the main reason i still play TS, cuz i can edit it. And since all the games are on the same engine, i bet that it would be very easy to mix RA2 and TS in a mod in the game.

ALso on cncnet we uploaded all the fan made voxels, and are now buildable when modded into a map, i would also love to see that, eventho the mapfiles are .bin files, looks like all files are different so i kinda already see its not going to happen, but i'll ask anyway: is any modding like this gonna be possible?

So basically, is there gonna be a openra version of: Final sun, xcc mixer, SHP maker, voxel maker, TibEd/sunedit 2k?

I'm just curious, sorry for the big questions, i'm probably expecting too much lol, anyway I still freaking love the games, but it would be absolutly fantastic if the tools you guys are using to create openra, would be transformed into an open tool inside the client. That would just... i would pay good money for that, honestly.

keithtmccartney

Re: Tiberian sun and openra questions

Post by keithtmccartney »

Howdy all, thank-you so much for this open-source project - :D - I've cloned this and the similar projects (Age of Empires & RollerCoaster Tycoon 2); I'm just wondering, correct me, please, if this is not-permitted for discussion within this post... I'm trying to get FuzzyLogicLibrary working but am unsure of the target-framework, I'm downgrading the project to target (from original of .NET 4.5) to 4.0, 3.5, but the logic in the solution's "Common" library is not installing/restoring the NPM package; any thoughts/redirect me elsewhere, please?

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

Holland wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:05 am
Welcome to OpenRA!
You might not be aware of it, but you somehow got your hands on two alpha builds. This is especially true for RA2, which is both very far from completion and unlikely to ever be part of the official release due to copyright reasons (RA2, unlike TS and earlier C&C games, is not freeware, and EA can shut it down at a moment's notice). Both of these games are still full of unfinished features and tons of bugs/balance issues.
You can check the development status of OpenRA's TS here: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/labels/Tiberian%20Sun
As you can see, there's still a long road ahead of us.

I'm not a dev, so I can't answer your technical questions, but I'm pretty sure that maps for OpenRA's TS have been created in FinalSun and then converted to the OpenRA engine, so there must at least be a way of converting the data.
Cheers!

Holland

Post by Holland »

Awesome!! thank you!!

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Holland wrote:
I would love to see also a more advanced/modern version of Final Sun implemented into the game, instead of the map editor you guys put in there now. I'm not saying its bad, just saying final sun can basically do anything to a map, and its the main reason i still play TS, cuz i can edit it.
The ingame map editor was planned to be extended with TS terrain features like raising-lowering cells at a point. An external map editor is a nottodo though because of the maintenance cost. OpenRA already had an external map editor at a point, but it was dropped because of GUI schematics being different between OSes and the required code duplication/alteration for drawing all the formats ingame could (voxels not being visible was it's last straw).

At the moment though, the best option for TS mapping is indeed creating the amp in FinalSun and then converting it With OpenRA.Utility's --import-ts-map command.
Holland wrote:
ALso on cncnet we uploaded all the fan made voxels, and are now buildable when modded into a map, i would also love to see that, eventho the mapfiles are .bin files, looks like all files are different so i kinda already see its not going to happen, but i'll ask anyway: is any modding like this gonna be possible?
OpenRA maps can already include assets, so there's no need for polluting the base game with 3rdparty optional mapmod assets. Mapmods can alter almost everything but faction amount and UI pretty much. Sure, it's a more complicated, since OpenRA is more modular than the legacy games, but it well worths the hassle.
Holland wrote:
So basically, is there gonna be a openra version of: Final sun, xcc mixer, SHP maker, voxel maker, TibEd/sunedit 2k?
Already covered FinalSun. The modding tools (Mixer, SHP Builder, VXL Editor etc.) work under Wine on Mac/Linux so there is no need for reinventing them either - OpenRA does not break the formats, there is 1:1 asset compatibility. Sure, it replaces the VPL-based lighting with actual 3D lighting, but both still rely on the same voxel normals.

No modder uses TibEd for many good reasons. This community does not need such a disgrace either.