Opening Pandora's Box (Macro Usage Discussion)

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
avalach21

Post by avalach21 »

ZxGanon wrote: Macro´s in theory make actions easier which is basically cheating.

Which means Im against the usage of macro´s.
Logical Equivalency Test:

[Gamer mouse with high DPI and extra buttons ] in theory makes actions easier which is basically cheating.

[mechanical keyboard] in theory makes actions easier so is basically cheating

[big high res monitor] in theory makes actions easier so is basically cheating

[nice mousepad] in theory makes actions easier so is basically cheating

[fast CPU and internet connection] in theory makes actions easier so is basically cheating

which means Im against the usage of [all of the above]

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

time to close this topic down.

Check out Dune2k-Advanced on my moddb page!

ZxGanon

Post by ZxGanon »

Yep seems pointless to discuss this topic.

Btw. manipulating software has nothing to do with buying hardware that has good stats. Changing the ammount of ques is manipulating. Binding 2 actions you usually do with two hotkeys on one is also manipulation.

anjew

Post by anjew »

ZxGanon wrote: Btw. manipulating software has nothing to do with buying hardware that has good stats. Changing the ammount of ques is manipulating. Binding 2 actions you usually do with two hotkeys on one is also manipulation.
The manipulation software comes with the good hardware you are talking about.
Also, if the game lets you bind 2 actions then how at all is it cheating? Its allowed by the engine and the game. Dota2 and CSGO have inbuilt macro building in the engine and those macro's are not bannable at ESL or any other competitive gaming company. The advantage of using a macro in those games is comparable to ORA, unlike SC2, which due to its intentional limitations, makes macros overpowered.

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

I think if it's literally only infantry that are being queued, then i haven't an issue with it myself.

If other things start being effected like microing of units, that's where i would draw the line. And if it became an issue, or it started escalating, i feel that the community would divide and drop off as with other games where cheating faults aren't addressed.

Currently advantages bigger than the saving of a bit of mass clicking are more important to me such as poorly/lesser designed maps, (cells not being counted, or top/bottom not being accounted for, money growth not even, etc).

Also to put it in perspective. I believe others are more likely to have an advantage over me for the following reasons than if they were able to queue 300 units in 10% that it takes me.
Such as, time of day i'm playing, lesser hardware be it monitor/ mouse/ keyboard. And to put that in perspective also, i was considered an above average player when i was playing on a 32" tv sat on the floor and unable to see tanya or build times on the screen.

However all that said, if others are unhappy with it then it's probably best others don't use it for their RAGL games. I think that would be the correct thing to do.

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

I think having a repeat command for build ques would get rid of much of the advantage.

I don't think macros would be that useful for micro'ing.

No matter what it's like trying to ban firearms in the USA, you're not going to be able to stop it.