Looking for LUA scripter

Looking for LUA scripter to help with big Mission

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
DavidM1337

Looking for LUA scripter

Post by DavidM1337 »

Hey,
I'm a game and level designer since 1998 or so.
While taking a break from my other projects I'd love to make a big epic Single Player Mission for OpenRA (Red Alert to be specific).
But I can't script and want to focus on the design.

I'm looking for someone who can do the LUA scripting and is interested in joining me.

Greetings

DavidM

DavidM1337

Post by DavidM1337 »

I guess... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Matt

Post by Matt »

See https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Map-scripting for a small getting started section. We don't really have a larger newbie friendly tutorial. I suggest you learn by doing or looking at the existing Lua scripted maps.

DavidM1337

Post by DavidM1337 »

Thanks - just this isn't what I asked for.
It will be a more complex map and I want to focus on design and I want someone else to focus on the scripting.

I'll wait 2 more days and, if no one is interested, drop it.

Materianer

Post by Materianer »

I'd say yes if i'd have more time for this atm but in a few weeks maybe...

Its not hard to learn lua btw
I learned it by playing the missions and reading the luas to see how the things are working.
Have nothing to do with coding or so but if you have the will you learn this quite fast.
Just ask in this link if something doesnt work or you got problems with realising your idea.
http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/view ... 83&t=20361

Alley

Post by Alley »

It's not hard to learn lua by just playing the missions and reading the luas? :eek: Oh, you must be really talented then because really, I am still not be able to do even some simplest things with it being more precise I may get a fatal error even when I think that I made everything similarly with already existing missions. To be honest it is some years over from time when I tried to do something very simple and I still don't feel myself confident with it.

Mapping in Openra is actually even more difficult than modding because modding can be done often via yaml's that can be quite an understandable. I have created my own games from the beginning and even this is not too difficult. Scripting in Lua to make Openra behaviour is actually the only thing that I often quit because I waisted 3 days just to make an AI to rebuild the base and I have gained just bugs and even more fatal errors that explains nothing. I have just no time for this next to a job for money. :shifty:

It seems to have more sense trying to edit some random games and with some hours some results can be seen but mapping in Openra is real pro stuff and so in my opinion cannot be called as feature to build your own missions but hack.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Yes, the Lua script debugging in OpenRA is problematic. The error messages are often not very helpful. This is a known problem, but a proposed solution https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/9086 is a lot of work and we are not sure yet how much of an improvement it would be.

In general game development sounds fun, but it is actually really hard and while it can be a great motivational drive, it can also be frustrating. If you want to learn, but have zero experience, try something that has been designed by experienced educators like https://code.org or buy a book to get you started in coding. It will take time even if you are talented. Never give up. Never surrender. In the end it will be worth the efforts. I promise.

Graion Dilach

Re: Looking for LUA scripter

Post by Graion Dilach »

To OP: I might be the gruff one, but I don't really see what are you expecting here. For all we can tell, you could as well be a con artist. If you would have atleast a draft to catch the people's attention, feedback wouldn't be such lackluster.

I'm an active member of the C&C modding community since 2010 (after lurking for 4 years) and I can clearly tell you - words alone are not enough to prove one's intention by now.

I'm also not really sold on the complexity - RA1 mapping is pretty simple since you don't have to deal with terrain heights. Your design work would be 50% creating the map and 50% bossing the scripter to do your bidding.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

Alley

Post by Alley »

OpenRa itself is a very thrill keeping game. I am just a bit sorry that I can't modify it like I can do with another games because regular RA have a lot of less to use for my own missions than OpenRA.

I however, am not sure if I would get some help from coding tutorials because I have coded in several languages and made some stuffs. Tutorials for beginners probably would just teach how to draw some text and such that I can make.
May-be my mistake here is just that I learned LUA API not LUA itself first. May-be learning LUA would allow me to add something that another missions nor LUA API don't have and may-be it would be supported also in OpenRA. Let's see! :roll:

LUA is different from another languages quite a lot that I have used also.

Alley

Post by Alley »

It's so strange. I could make an AI that rebuild a structure now. And I even could make an AI to train attack force and then I hoped: "Oh, yes! Now I know what to do. I merged this and then I have a system for my mission." So I tested my mission. AI trained a force. I destroyed a structure. AI rebuilt that structure. But now when new structure was built then training was suspended. :\
I was going to test if function for training units even can be recalled. It took a lot of time but I could recall that function. For this I made my mission to show message to see if this function is even working again later. Yes, it's working but it will skip everything that would train new units again after the previous structure was destroyed. But why? I can't understand the logic. :?

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Yeah, all this building units via Lua is quite buggy. :\
You could have run into the bug that production stops to work once prerequisites aren't met anymore... Can only guess vaguely without seeing the code though.

Alley

Post by Alley »

Thank you for confirming about possible bugs! This is how you may save my lot of time because I really just may waste my time on this without knowing that there are just a bug actually and my goals may be actually impossible or unnecessarly difficult. To be honest I even though about it that may-be my goals have no sense to try because of bugs on my way. :\ I think that sending my code may not be necessary because it may be uncorrect anyways but even official missions have those problems that I would like to get rid of.

In the same time would it help if I would add another structure outside the map to not break those prerequisites? :o0:

Alley

Post by Alley »

Wow! :eek: Placing another producing structure outside the map actually seems to resolve this. But let's see if it is now possible to accomplish mission when structures inside the map will be destroyed not everything. :P

Thank you, abcdefg30! :) Hardly that my mission is now perfect to go... May-be there are still some cases left but I got an idea from this sentece by you: "You could have run into the bug that production stops to work once prerequisites aren't met anymore..." and destroying a structure won't suspend unit training now. 8)

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Good to hear you managed to resolve the issue. :)

Alley

Post by Alley »

This didn't affect my luck also in making AI to rebuild structures and it will not suspend pernamently even if it's resources goes temporarly down. :)

I am now making some final changes in how this everything should look and I still can't do much with LUA but what is the most important that I could make a basics which is an enemy behaviour and mission objective. Thank you! :) Sometimes people may haven't reach to help directly yet but they can give some ideas already by just mentioning some things about how the whole system works. :lol: