OpenRA - Red Alert Wiki created

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Perhaps if people take up the job to also do other mods, then the player sections can simply link to this Wiki? Another fractured part of OpenRA, but you've made a great start and hopefully this motivates others to complement the info on this and other mods.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

SafwatHalaby

Post by SafwatHalaby »

Perhaps if people take up the job to also do other mods, then the player sections can simply link to this Wiki? Another fractured part of OpenRA, but you've made a great start and hopefully this motivates others to complement the info on this and other mods.
Perhaps.

All Allied and Soviet units and buildings have been documented! (Some briefly, some extensively)

Also, superweapons, superpowers, factions, etc have been documented.

FRenzy

Post by FRenzy »

Good job !

My (dormant) YouTube channel : FRenzy OpenRA
Join the map-making train here

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

What topics still need extra focus or proliferation?

SafwatHalaby

Post by SafwatHalaby »

My vision is for the wiki to be a complete reference for facts and for common tactics.

I can't point to specific articles at the moment. I'll need to "zoom-out" and check what I've done so far. But generally, (roughly sorted by importance):
  • Correct any incorrect facts (cost, build time, factions, building requirements, etc)
  • Add whatever facts I've missed about units.
  • Document any missing gameplay mechanics e.g. (shroud/fog of war, command queue, Force-Attack)
  • Add any unit tactics which I haven't added yet.
  • Some tactics aren't unit specific and need a dedicated page created. (e.g. base crawling, blobbing)
  • Document the few non gameplay articles (Map Options, RAGL, etc)
  • Upload all production icons for all units and structures.
  • Add the intricate stats for units: (view distance in cells, damage per second, etc)

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Ok, so if anyone wants to contribute then it be good to focus on that. I'll see if I can add a little here and there tomorrow. When the new release comes out it'll require some work to update, btw.
Perhaps also post on r/openra for the casuals and so that people know they can contribute?

SafwatHalaby

Post by SafwatHalaby »

I'll make some final touches then post it :)

I removed the "under construction" message. It's a pretty good Wiki right now.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Ok ok so Ive worte a couple articles. Im not very familiar with Wiki-editing, but here are my thoughts:

== I'd like to see some extra categories on the main mage, aside from the two Factions:
- neutral units and buildings (zombie, ant, hospital, oil, Badger, etc etc)
- releases (a list where we can link to releases and provide the changelog or any other relevant information)
- the gameplay mechanics (shroud, etc) as you mentioned

Someone who is a grammar/spelling Nazi should systematically go through everything to correct stuff.

How do I add or edit Infoboxes?

Can I change category annd topic names? E.g.: Micro is just "Micro" now, while Macro is called "Macro (Macromanegement)". Either of them should change. And Air-Attack category should be named Anti-Aircraft - if Im correct.

Also sometimes the link thingy doesnt find certain pages. I have just added the full link in that case, not really how its supposed to be, but it works.

Find all stats here: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/tree/b ... s/ra/rules

MustaphaTR

Post by MustaphaTR »

I did some edits on wiki today. I really like the idea of it, i hope there will be more contubrition.

Looks like template pages are secured/can't be edited by normal users. I did editings on stuff at Wikipedia and some other Wikis before, i know how stuff about templates work. Infoboxes currently lack losts of stuff they could include, i would love to be able to add them.

SafwatHalaby

Post by SafwatHalaby »

MustaphaTR wrote: Looks like template pages are secured/can't be edited by normal users. I did editings on stuff at Wikipedia and some other Wikis before, i know how stuff about templates work. Infoboxes currently lack losts of stuff they could include, i would love to be able to add them.
The templates were locked to prevent anyone from editing them without discussion, because they affect the entire wiki, and they auto manage categories. It's important to keep them consistent.

I'll grant you permission. Some important notes:

1. Numeric values (like stats, view distance, etc) are pretty simple, feel free to add new fields in the infobox, no categories, templates, or anything special needed.
2. Non-numeric values are bit trickier and should be edited with care. Note that I use smal templates to auto-manage Wiki categories and this should be preserved. For instance, all allied units have faction={{UnitFactionAllies}} in their info box. and the {{UnitFactionAllies}} template contains: "[[Allies]] [[Category:Allied Units]]".
3. Feel free to edit anything obvious. It's recommended to discuss anything non trivial to avoid inconsistencies.
4. Infoboxes should contain *release* info. I've noticed you edited the AA gun and added Testing info.

I propose to add Husk={{LeavesHusk}} / No to unitBoxes, where LeavesHusk is a template containing: "Yes [[Category: Husk-leaving units]]"
noobmapmaker wrote: I'd like to see some extra categories on the main mage
I agree.
noobmapmaker wrote: Someone who is a grammar/spelling Nazi should systematically go through everything to correct stuff.
I'm your man :P

I'm monitoring all changes and will continue to do so, and I've fixed quite a few things already.
noobmapmaker wrote: How do I add or edit Infoboxes?
If you're talking about adding or editing a unit's infobox, I do that with the source editor.

If you're talking about changing an infobox's template, it's currently locked, (see above).
noobmapmaker wrote: Can I change category annd topic names? E.g.: Micro is just "Micro" now, while Macro is called "Macro (Macromanegement)". Either of them should change. And Air-Attack category should be named Anti-Aircraft - if Im correct.
I've fixed this already. I moved the articles to "Micro" and "Macro", and added redirections if someone searches for the full name.

Also sometimes the link thingy doesnt find certain pages. I have just added the full link in that case, not really how its supposed to be, but it works.
I've seen you do this and fixed this. Full links are not a good idea. I personally use the source editor which is more predictable.
Thanks!

SafwatHalaby

Post by SafwatHalaby »

That looks like the "bleed" branch. I don't think it's the same as release.

SafwatHalaby

Post by SafwatHalaby »

Consistency is important. We need letter case consistency.

The guidelines are already clear regarding page and section titles. ("An Eye for an Eye").

But what about referring to units and structures? Should we say "A Mobile Flak" or a "mobile flak"? We're not consistent in that regard esp. in inter-article links. I think the latter form makes more sense. In the game world, a "mammoth tank" is just a noun, like apples.

SafwatHalaby

Reddit announcement

Post by SafwatHalaby »

SafwatHalaby

Post by SafwatHalaby »

Did someone just shadow ban me remove my post on Reddit? The post is deleted for others but visible from my account. (maybe it's an auto spam filter?)

Edit: it was a spam filter, and Scott_NZ approved it manually. Thanks!
Last edited by SafwatHalaby on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

SafwatHalaby wrote: But what about referring to units and structures? Should we say "A Mobile Flak" or a "mobile flak"? We're not consistent in that regard esp. in inter-article links. I think the latter form makes more sense. In the game world, a "mammoth tank" is just a noun, like apples.
Hm, it is a noun yes, but isn't it a name as well? All our ingame tooltips feature names starting with capital letters, like "Attack Dog". So we could use uppercase to be consistent with the ingame names.