The Dark Tournament

Gametimes & Tables posted!

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
Gatekeeper

Post by Gatekeeper »

Gatekeeper reporting in for Combat Duty!

Unknown maps, shroud on, monsters in the dark, Dear lord this is gonna be goooood.

If this wasn't big enough a mindfuck already I'd say make all the players use a smurf name, so no one knows who their actual opponent is as well xDD
Ofcourse they'd have to inform the staff beforehand who they'd be playing as...

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

Gatekeeper wrote: Gatekeeper reporting in for Combat Duty!

If this wasn't big enough a mindfuck already I'd say make all the players use a smurf name, so no one knows who their actual opponent is as well xDD
Great idea! This is looking to be a very good tournament.
Last edited by Clockwork on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Gatekeeper wrote: Gatekeeper reporting in for Combat Duty!

Unknown maps, shroud on, monsters in the dark, Dear lord this is gonna be goooood.

Oooooooooo there's an idea I can get behind. Unfortunately I think everyone will figure out who Pvt. Cowboy is.
"Do not trust the balance tzars (Smitty, Orb). They are making the changes either for the wrong reasons, for no reason at all, or just because they can and it makes them feel good." - Alex Jones

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Good idea, allthough some might know ip's or the country makes it easy to guess. I like the idea tho! Maybe something technical can be done, like somehow not display name, ip and country. Hmm it should not become to difficult to execute, but it would certainly fit the theme.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

If we use the servebeer server or if someone can make a variant of it then all the IP's are put as the LAN address.

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Smurf names tops this off really well. Should be rather entertaining

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

Maybe the players change their smurf names after every game too to keep the illusion going.

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

That would be next level. Spectators would have no idea if someone was up one game or two games if both players also change their colours.
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
-Sun Tzu

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

WhoGivesaFuck
NobodyCares
DoesItMatter
TouChOneBallDoes'ntMoveTheSecond

And with Pataguayan Ip i will truly be the perfect smurf !

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Option 1: people may choose their own smurfnames each game, allows for some extra mindfuckery and creativeness.
Option 2: players get assigned a different generated name for every game (e.g. RighteousFlamingo, SturdyBadger, etc). This would be more anonymous than option 1.

I think it's fun for players not to know who they play, but spectators should know, I think, so they can root for players. Also after each game players should know who they played. Open to opinions. We have a 3 min delay for the broadcast, by the way.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

option 3 : smurf should be the exact nickname of one of the contestants or your own.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

That would be fun as well. Option 1 gives you that possibility too, but forcing it can be fun as well.

flamewh33l

Post by flamewh33l »

i'd probably say it be hilarious, but they'd immediately know who they was against due to playstyle, so it be mindfuck to begin with, but once they see how the person plays they'll capitalise on it. may not be ideal for Smurfin' names unless you can pull different playstyles out altogether

flamewh33l

Post by flamewh33l »

noobmapmaker wrote: If sufficient players sign up (12+) a 2nd division will be created! This will allow 6 more players to participate in the tournament. The games they play will follow suit with the first, strongest, division. By this I mean that they will start their games at the same time and they will play the same map.
i believe with Gatekeeper marking the 12th addition to the team, you have now got to activate "Secondary Division" now, NMM! and with more people to sign up along the way :D

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

You may want to double check and see if happy is still in first.