Red Alert ELO-rating list

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
anjew

Post by anjew »

jvk wrote: I think we can bypass the manual match confirmation if we bind IP's to players in our own ranking system. So for example:
jvk has IP: 123.2.15.12
NMM has IP: 542.125.2.5
Bob has IPs: [126.21.21.6, 126.21.21.7]
etc.

If we do that, I should be able to automate the whole process
I agree with the devs when they say they dont want tracking via IP. It may be the closest to unique you can get but its not reliable at all.

jvk

Post by jvk »

anjew wrote:
jvk wrote: I think we can bypass the manual match confirmation if we bind IP's to players in our own ranking system. So for example:
jvk has IP: 123.2.15.12
NMM has IP: 542.125.2.5
Bob has IPs: [126.21.21.6, 126.21.21.7]
etc.

If we do that, I should be able to automate the whole process
I agree with the devs when they say they dont want tracking via IP. It may be the closest to unique you can get but its not reliable at all.
Yea I totally agree aswell. It was a temporarily idea to create a simple web application for competitive games, since it lacks competitive gameplay besides RAGL and the occasionally tournaments.
But maybe we / I should start looking at the big picture instead of temporarily fixes. Would love to expand the work on the authenticate system that pchote already started, but unfortunately I lack the knowledge of C#.

I can build the API & web backend, but someone has to pick up the C# part.

anjew

Post by anjew »

jvk wrote: Yea I totally agree aswell. It was a temporarily idea to create a simple web application for competitive games, since it lacks competitive gameplay besides RAGL and the occasionally tournaments.
But maybe we / I should start looking at the big picture instead of temporarily fixes. Would love to expand the work on the authenticate system that pchote already started, but unfortunately I lack the knowledge of C#.

I can build the API & web backend, but someone has to pick up the C# part.
I recently had a discussion with pchote regarding the big picture and it seems to primarily held up on the backend, specifically regarding the reputation system and moderation. However, its complicated by the fact the forums need to migrate and the fact that not everyone agrees on what to use to build the new one.

The discussion is here: http://logs.openra.net/?year=2017&month ... 4#09:48:13

Further down pchote says authentication could perhaps be downscoped to only authentication and using a service to upload a replay which would verify results.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Will look into this next week, to be continued...

I think for now I will only add 'official' games: games played in tournaments and the RAGL. So at this time no loose multiplayer 1v1s, might change later. Participating in 'official' events will be the only way to join the ratinglist for now.

Even before reading the existing documentation Im pretty sure that this will only work in two ways:
- a simple system, with a little bit technical help, that requires the user to do some work (e.g. sending me a message and/or uploading a replay) and me doing some work (inputting data, verifying results).
- a complex system supported by the OpenRA client/ the developers that automizes allmost everything. This would require alot of work and time and coming up with a system that works. But this has also allready been started and defunct. So I dont think that 1) I should be the person setting that up and 2) its not feasible at this time.

In the end my goal with this ratinglist is just to have some fun and see what debatable ratings we have. Also to see what use it has or what sideeffects it might have. Its not my goal to create a perfect system or shove this into OpenRA's throat :D
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

I think that's best for now.

When you will have a system that able to process "out of events" match-up. And when you will allow those match up, the prerequisite to enter the ladder would be to have participate at minimum 1 compititive event, tournament/league.