Toxic community.

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Henry

Toxic community.

Post by Henry »

Hi. Found out about this after researching some CNC mods, was excited to give it a shot.
Hopped in some Red Alert, got kick banned every time I joined a lobby after some name calling of me being a new player or something.
Downloaded the playtest because nobody was on the release for Tiberium Dawn hoping people would be nicer, but it was nothing different. They let me play, but then started building fences all around my base while mocking me.
Maybe I got stuck with a bunch of unwelcoming people as I see most of you guys are quite civil here on the forums and on github, but my experience today was unforgiving. Good luck developers on your future updates to this mod.

avalach21

Post by avalach21 »

Lol part of me feels bad and wants to encourage you to stick around as honestly that's not how the community seems to be for the most part. Of course there are some bad eggs as there are with any community.

Another part of me though is like, what do you expect? The original games have been out for over 20 years now and this recreation has itself been around for quite a few. If you are new, of course there's going to be people much better than you who are going to run circles around you and entertain themselves by beating you in creative and humiliating ways.

Maybe it's best to start with some single player missions and skrimishs vs the computer to up your skills before going head to head with real people?

Also as a tip, try joining an empty lobby and changing your name from Newbie to something else. This will at least get you through the harassment and getting kicked at the lobby stage since it won't be a dead giveaway that you are a NOOB. Good Luck!

Henry

Post by Henry »

Expected a welcoming group of people who are willing to teach players new things and get them involved rather than bastardizing and humiliating them to boost their egos. The games being around for a long period of time doesn't justify anything.

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

avalach21 wrote: Another part of me though is like, what do you expect? The original games have been out for over 20 years now and this recreation has itself been around for quite a few.
Someone could even expect players to have grown in 20 years.
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
-Sun Tzu

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

The high tier 1v1 community is very helpful and friendly I'm sure plenty of new players (including myself since I was once a new player) can agree you can get help whenever off a good player just ask away.

The team game scene in RA can be toxic every time I play one I usually end up in a flame war with some arty spammer who thinks he knows everything, I suggest staying away and go into 1v1 lobbies.

I'm actually on right now if you want to play Henry.

GDave

Post by GDave »

Henry, we in Tiberian Dawn (TD) thought that you were a notorious smurf (a very good player that pretends to be a newbie and thus unbalances games). I'm sorry about that.

If you came back to TD you'd be made most welcome. We give new players tips and some players will give tutorials in 1v1 games etc.

zinc

Post by zinc »

I will often ask new players to team with me. Makes the game more challenging that way as it will be a 2 v 1.5 game.

But sometimes I will kick a newbie if I know it would just result in a pointless game for everyone. Most of the time newbies are tolerated enough to at least be allowed to start the game.

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

Well I consider you a noob zinc. Would you like it if I kicked you everytime you entered my lobby ?

First of all WELCOME!

Like happy said Henry the RA 1v1 comunity is a better place hardest part is trying to catch the spec train before a lobby starts but if you ever see me online your more than welcome in my games and I'll always give advice if asked. Don't quit man stick at it you'll miss out otherwise. Just ask WhoCares he's been on the scene only recently and everyone has helped him along he's becoming a force now and hes constantly improving to the point am worried about playing him in my Global League match.

See you on the field Commander
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

zinc

Post by zinc »

JuiceBox wrote: Well I consider you a noob zinc. Would you like it if I kicked you everytime you entered my lobby ?

First of all WELCOME!

Like happy said Henry the RA 1v1 comunity is a better place hardest part is trying to catch the spec train before a lobby starts but if you ever see me online your more than welcome in my games and I'll always give advice if asked. Don't quit man stick at it you'll miss out otherwise. Just ask WhoCares he's been on the scene only recently and everyone has helped him along he's becoming a force now and hes constantly improving to the point am worried about playing him in my Global League match.

See you on the field Commander
Right yeah. Ignore the part where I often ask them to team with me...

zinc

Post by zinc »

You could try starting FFA games. If you get your ass kicked early it's not so much of a problem in a FFA game.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Welcome Henry :)
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

Irnub

Post by Irnub »

Hope you stick around and give it another crack Henry. I can get put off sometimes as well, but it's not all bad out there. :)

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

I'm quite new in the community as well and i diden't face this problem, i just inform right away about my low skill and my learning process to motivate people to play me and raise me up. As well, most of the time I start my own lobby so i don't bother anyone.

So far, the inconvenient experience came from crappy players that are even worst than me. Without any reason they start insulting my mama or assuming a truefact that walls (or other things) are for losers. I don't really get the spirit and btw my mom is nice most of the time.

edit : and i alwais accept playing "newbie" nick, can be a smurf or a new player, i play the same. If i get crushed, better, if i roll over a biggener, i inform him at the end of the game to watch the replay and look for youtube channels and stream to learn the way i did.

Edit 2 : thx Juicebox, but i don't really see me as a force and less to worry you (unless you want to do a mcv derby-racing)

Welcom Henri, stick around and fight to master that game, it has potential and the competitive community is worth spending time (exept Happy but nobody want to break his heart telling him).
Last edited by WhoCares on Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

Henry wrote: Expected a welcoming group of people who are willing to teach players new things and get them involved rather than bastardizing and humiliating them to boost their egos. The games being around for a long period of time doesn't justify anything.
I promise you all those assholes are all noobs. Just play 10 games with the 1v1 scene, and you'll learn enough about the game to go kick ass in the team game scene

Hecthor Doomhammer

Post by Hecthor Doomhammer »

Every community has a small toxic group.
I guess you just happened to jump in the wrong games.