RA Campaign development

Polishing and restructuring the original

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Henry_the_Slav

RA Campaign development

Post by Henry_the_Slav »

Hello fellow comrades,

I have created a new issue https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/12806 talking about changes in the RA campaign, please, have a look if interested in topic.

The main question is do we keep it original as possible, blocking MCV redeployment, keeping old tech trees, sparking confusion when new player sees tech trees different from multiplayer Openra, or do we assimilate it, which has been partially done, with engi logic, some missions having new tech tree, giving new objectives, redeploying MCV and more. This option would require rebalancing missions.

Please, let me know what you think here or on the GH page.

Looking forward to hearing from you comrades, Henry_the_Slav. :^)

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

I haven't played the OC in a very long time. But I guess your right if some1 played the campaign and then multiplayer I suppose it could be confusing. The OC would be abit of a cake walk tho if you could base push the AI :lol: idk maybe a fresh new campaign would serve a better porpose and keep the OC for nostalgia?
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

A community effort to replace the original missions with new ones that are close to the original in the sense of the story, utilising the OG fmvs would be cool. It would also embrace the ORA engine.

But dunno how and the possibility of it, just mentioning it as i've seen it in other games. The OG feeling is definitely best to get from the OG game, not ORA imo. ORA is a different beast ;)

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

the new feature would be better with new missions, i would like to play the original mission then i can reinstall the original game :).

Sire

Post by Sire »

I'm the crazy individual that says "why not have both?" There can the be classic Red Alert campaign that mimics the original as close as possible, and then the OpenRA version that follows the original storyline but takes its own liberties.

The best example of a "remake" is Mental Omega's retelling of Red Alert 2's campaigns. It is immediately familiar as some missions are still present but tweaked (play as the Allies as they discover the deployed Physic Beacon in New York City [which was originally a Soviet mission], play a harder version of the Allies Chicago missions, etc.) while also introducing new missions that expand Mental Omega's lore (such as almost every Yuri mission or missions focusing on the new subfactions such as China and the Pacific Front.)

However, I already see some problems that may arise by having two separate versions.

1. There will have to be a "Classic Red Alert" ruleset in addition to the current "OpenRA" ruleset in terms of balancing. Currently, it seems the campaigns opt for a "hybrid" approach, using OpenRA's system but mimicking it to suit classic gameplay. This will provide another whole set of balancing that needs to be done, and I am not sure how many people are interested in upkeeping a "Classic Red Alert" ruleset.

2. When making an OpenRA campaign inspired off of the original, there may be some arguments on how the campaign should progress. This may not be much of an issue if there is just one or two people dedicated on remaking the campaign, but if several mapmakers start tossing in their campaign maps, it may become difficult to weave everything together into a single narrative. (A part of me wants to have the Allies have a mission where they gain the Hind from a Soviet Defector, in response to the ongoing Hind topic.)

Alternatively, I am blowing the topic out of proportion. If you are asking to take the original missions and tweak them to more suit OpenRA's style (such as new side objectives and gameplay modifications), then I don't mind these changes. A brand new OpenRA campaign inspired by the original would be awesome, but I don't know who would actually make it.

I'm of the mindset while having the original Red Alert campaign in OpenRA would be cool, I don't know if it is worth the time and effort to do so. I can always just play the original campaign by playing the original games.