Installing Games from ISO?

Question about using ISOs instead of burning to CD

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
SDNick484

Installing Games from ISO?

Post by SDNick484 »

First off, I can't begin to tell you how excited I am to have stumbled upon OpenRA. I am a huge fan of the original C&C's so this basically made my day.

I do have a question around the installation process. I am on Gentoo, and I'm using a clone of your GIT repository. Everything compiles without issue, and I have a local copy (ISO files) of C&C '95 from EA. I am on a laptop without an optical drive, and I was hoping to install the game files directly from the ISO. I have the ISO mounted to /mnt/cdrom, however I don't see an option to copy it. Clicking "Use CD" immediately gives me a "disk not found" error with no option to specify the location.

I have tried downloading the files then copying over the MIX files to ~/.openra/Content/cnc however when I go to single player, only 9 missions are listed.

Is there a method I can do this install from ISO that doesn't involve using an actual cdrom drive?

Phrohdoh

Post by Phrohdoh »

You're installing the content correctly.
You will only find 9 missions because those are the only 'missions' included currently.

We have a legacy map converter but it cannot convert triggers (the part that makes the missions... organic).

Matt

Post by Matt »

When testing https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/5304 I noticed we only check for physical CD drives, not mounted virtual ones so I guess you need to waste a blank there.

SDNick484

Post by SDNick484 »

Ah, got it, thanks for the clarification, and like I said -- great work thus far!