[MOD] RA Classic - a Red Alert 1 inspired mod

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

I'll play, because being built in OpenRA means it also has flexibility and various other things going for it (hopefully including a better AI at some point).

There's only so much that could be done with the original's map scripting options to try and create other game modes (and even then they were just hacky pseudo-modes). Having a 'classic' mod for OpenRA will allow bigger maps/more players, and the YAML stuff will eventually allow far more complex scenarios too.

Generalcamo

Post by Generalcamo »

OpenRA has charm. Right now people aren't playing it due to the complaints about the lack of classic modes. Once this is in, they will have no reason to complain.

JOo

Post by JOo »

JOo

Post by JOo »

hm , i think the corners for all window-frames should not be "roundet" ... ill do another UI with hard corners ... maybe it looks more retro like the original

JOo

Post by JOo »

i also think , the space between radar and buildmenu should be closed (make it visible) ... add the "rep,sell,power" button from top inside this space ...

take the energy-bar and add it to the left from the radar ... and voila ... oldschool ra UI is finished ...

but thats a code thing ...

Matt

Post by Matt »

JOo wrote: i also think , the space between radar and buildmenu should be closed (make it visible) ... add the "rep,sell,power" button from top inside this space ...

take the energy-bar and add it to the left from the radar ... and voila ... oldschool ra UI is finished ...

but thats a code thing ...
Have a look at mods/ra/chrome.yaml to "cut" out the parts of the *.png files and mods/ra/chrome/ingame.yaml for the layout changes to see where the code requires changes and what does work by just changing the configuration.

JOo

Post by JOo »

nevermind , im fine with the result ... the idea was just for the oldschool effect ..

Matt

Post by Matt »

Send it to me when you are finished. Looks good.

Iran

Post by Iran »

I'd go about using the same sidebar that RA95 used and also the same options menu button (the OpenRA red buttons with white text look awful).

RA95 uses very simple code for drawing the sidebar, Here's an example of how RA95 looks in high res:

Now the important parts:

-No fog of war (done)
-Left click controls (done for the most part)
-Remappable hotkeys (not sure if this is done)
-GUI that's pretty much the same as RA95 (I started working on this but it would have taken me a few weeks prob)
-Multiplayer AI (done by me, Mailaender said better AI is gonna be merged soon so that's good)
-Higher internal FPS/tick rate (scrolling and unit movement feels choopy)
-Game speed slider
-Q hotkey from RA95
-Classic production system, building multiple production facilities increases build speed for that production type (done this but the values for build speed increase aren't the same as RA95)
-Classic map (maps already converted but not tested)

Very helpful but not essential:
-Triggers system in maps so map scripting is possible without coding in C#
-Chrono vortex
-Missiles that don't track and don't lose guidance for some reason when units die (done this, easy to do too)

Matt

Post by Matt »

I added re-mappable hotkey in https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/2675 and a game speed slider in https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/2687. Scott is working on a yaml based trigger system for missions.

If you mean waypoints with the "Q" http://ra.afraid.org/html/ra/hotkeys.html then they are already in (it is shift), but they need more visual clarity https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/2598.

Iran

Post by Iran »

Q in RA1 allows you to select an enemy tank to target then tell your units to move to another cell while the tanks keep shooting at the unit that was being targeted. Is that supported?

Scott_NZ

Post by Scott_NZ »

Yes, this is done implicitly.

Matt

Post by Matt »

I fixed FMV support in the cnc-classic mod and imported the NOD01 mission recreation attempt by Dan.
Attachments
experimental support for Nod01
experimental support for Nod01
nod01.png (513.88 KiB) Viewed 42097 times
FMV support
FMV support
from-god-to-kane-to-seth.png (47.54 KiB) Viewed 42098 times

Zeus

Post by Zeus »

Is there any word on what needs to be completed prior to the first Alpha? Any idea as to how long til we see that alpha?

Matt

Post by Matt »

I created multiple https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pulls that are awaiting review.