RAGL Season 3 - Discussion, Feedback, Development

Post-Mortem

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
Blackened

Post by Blackened »

Soscared made a pretty valid point that I sorta glossed over when making my suggestions. This league more or less is entirely run by him. Jazz steps in a little but the majority is definitely Soscared putting in the time.

The obvious solutions are either some form of automation or more support. If Soscared prefers the latter I'm sure there's a handful of the community that would step in. We already have plenty of streamers for the exciting series that would come about. We could departmentalize the different ranks a bit, have someone who everyone reports to for match results and or attempted contacts etc. That same person would then check replays when uploaded too. You could then have that person give you the report or just let them update the official record keeping.

jvk

Post by jvk »

Blackened wrote: The obvious solutions are either some form of automation or more support.
@Soscared, If you need any support for automation I can help you with that. Shouldn't be much work to create an application on the web to simplify the process.
You can hit me up on Discord / PM if you need some volunteers for this task

Wippie

Post by Wippie »

I just thought of something, which might work.

IDEA: players who have registered for season 4 in the minions or recruits divisions, have the right to challenge either a particular player or the entire masters league. Winner takes masters spot, loser takes challengers spot.

When a particular player is challenged: challenged player has the right to refuse, nothing changes.

When the masters league is challenged, any player can step forward, all players have the right to ignore/ refuse.

Why would thr masters player accept? Well, look at soscared situation last season, didnt get much practise, but would probably do very good in the lower divisions. Thr alternative was to forfeit the season.

Also, its a matter of honor.....

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

In-between tournament seed qualifiers has a lot of untapped potential. That's probably the easiest and most fun task to delegate out and would add up well to the league's player distribution. @Happy: Agreed that the rules should be a bit more straight-forward. I actually had a few pointers/requirements for such a tournament that would enable anyone who's up the task to host seeding-tournaments as long as they stick to those rules. I could easily work something out that would enable someone to plan an event in between season 4 and 5.

I definitely would love some more automation, there's been talks about having the league (fixtures, tables) exported to a page where numbers can be plotted and manipulated easily while at the same time keep the fancy pants graphics to make it all look pretty. @jvk: I have no idea about the workload on this but get in touch with @chrisf on IRC, he's been looking into it a bit and might have some ideas on how to move forward. I'll hit you up on Discord soon regardless.

I'll look a bit more into the issue with tie-breakers, qualifiers and play-offs on the tables themselves but don't have high hopes for any drastic moves on this this season. If people have more specific ideas on how to execute a Masters' play-off this season, don't hold back.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

Thx to both contestant of the last round of hidden path to the master to have played their match up in the shadow without advirtising it. We have so many exiting games to watch right now and nobody wanted to spec that particular one for sure ..........

Yeah we really need a communication policy for next season.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

SoScared wrote: I definitely would love some more automation, there's been talks about having the league (fixtures, tables) exported to a page where numbers can be plotted and manipulated easily while at the same time keep the fancy pants graphics to make it all look pretty.
I wanted to try to duplicate the tables throughout the season to Challonge anyway, so if it works, I wouldn't be sucked up into work and community is positive about this then why not.
Although it won't probably possible to EXACTLY duplicate who plays who in which round (because Challonge does this automatically afair).

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Added a section in the OP listing up new rule additions.

@WhoCares: Tons of great games being played in the shadows I agree. At this point I don't have any idea on how to expose matches except voluntary livestreams or replay casts by the community.

@netnazgul: I'm not a big fan of Challonge as it's display is a bit bland imo and would be harder to promote the league as a unique event. Still, let me know if you can get it to work - could be useful as a quality check as it's easy to make mistakes plotting the results manually.

barf_openra

Post by barf_openra »

Additional suggestion regarding the guest point tiebreakers:

Any slots that determine promotion/relegation should be decided via tiebreaker match(s)

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

WhoCares wrote: Thx to both contestant of the last round of hidden path to the master to have played their match up in the shadow without advirtising it. We have so many exiting games to watch right now and nobody wanted to spec that particular one for sure ..........

Yeah we really need a communication policy for next season.
To be fair, most players don't want a giant spec train because lag. I guess we could have a pool of streamers who volunteer to cast games. (I'd volunteer for that) But even then, I think the decision to have a game live streamed should ultimately rest in the hands of both players.
"Do not trust the balance tzars (Smitty, Orb). They are making the changes either for the wrong reasons, for no reason at all, or just because they can and it makes them feel good." - Alex Jones

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

I haven't read through alot of the suggestions so sorry if I repeat. I don't see why the qualifying games get given so much time to be played. Imo it would be better if the games get played while everyone involved is still pumped from GL. I think it would be better to get it wrapped up earlier. I got rusty after GL and had to practice alot to play happy. After that, blackened also requested some time to dust off the cobwebs. I feel like if you give us a months to play we will take a months to play. Having to get back into the swing each time. So I got two suggestions I prefer the second.
1. Play the qualifying games each week after GL ends and get it wrapped up asap.
2. Play the qualifying games before the new GL season.
I like the idea of 2 as it will add more drama to the start of the season with some nice bo5's
I should clarify. When I say qualifying I mean hidden masters. I would have eddit the above but I am on my mobile and the screens smashed so it's easier to ramble on .
Great season thoroughly enjoyed it thanks for the countless hours you guys put in
Cheers
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

JuiceBox wrote: 2. Play the qualifying games before the new GL season.
I like the idea of 2 as it will add more drama to the start of the season with some nice bo5's
Seems good actually, if implemented BOx for 4 finalists, we should have great games opening and closing the league.

Orb

Post by Orb »

Problem with that is people might only have time for one season. If you punt some games to the beginning of the next season they might not be able to play. Also the fact the game may been patched (as it looks like it is right now) between seasons means people will have to play on older versions than what they've been playing lately, which is awkward.

Another problem is people may drop out if they don't make the qualifiers, which will be annoying to work with right before the season starts.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

90% of my responses to these requests are simply related to workload and capacity but also keep in mind the delay notes and extended time slots are there to enable players to complete matches without clashing with real life commitments. In fact the vast time intervals are by far the most important reason the league grows and thrives.

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

I don't see the big issue it's 2 more games on the end of the season.
4th of Jun you sent me an email congratulating me on my recruits win and explained the the situation for the hidden masters. 21st of July I managed to get blackened to play and the dead line was 6 of August. That's 47 days after my season finished . And a potential to dead line date 63 ish days after after my season finished.
I could fit my entire GL games week for week for the dead line date. So if I want to keep warm and play games I have to keep practicing for all that time ? That's near enough doubled my GL time. You said about life commitments etc well I would have liked to have gotten GL out the way so I could have my own down time instead of waiting around.
I understand what you are saying tho to irl commitment etc but it also effects the other side
So why not just make it at the end of the season it's only a few more games and they will be getting played while everyone is fresh from GL it's self.
Medium tank gets struck out the league for going dark for 14 days but the qualifying games have a 2 month play when ever you feel like it time scale??
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

@JuiceBox: It's viable pulling in those deadlines closer if the season is be shortened by a few weeks. I just generally avoid tightening the rules wherever I won't have to.

Btw I should open up a map pool thread no later than tomorrow (end of July), just to hold my own feet to the fire.