TD Prototype Swiss Tournament

Monday 10th July @ 17:00/5:00pm UTC

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
Doomsday

TD Prototype Swiss Tournament

Post by Doomsday »

Introduction

TD Prototype Swiss Tournament is 1v1 Tiberian Dawn tournament that consists of two stages: swiss groupstage and semifinals/finals. In groupstage players play 3+ rounds of swiss depending on number of players participating in the tournament. After swiss stage, top 4 players face off in semifinals.
  • 5-8 players: 3 rounds of swiss
  • 9-16 players: 4 rounds of swiss
  • 17-32 players: 5 rounds of swiss
Registrations

Registration for the tournament is open until Sunday 9th July. When registering for the tournament, players will have to decide their faction to play for entire tournament. Available factions to choose from: Nod, GDI, random. If player registers for the tournament and doesn't state his faction, it will be random by default.

Tournament logistics

OpenRA Swiss Tournaments Discord group will be used for handling logistics of the tournament. Head judge will post brackets for group stages on Discord server and players will report their matches on Discord server as well. Players also use Discord server for contacting the judges in case of a rules problem. After games, players post replay of their game(s) in replay section of the Discord server. More information in #readme section of the Discord.

discord.gg/2MtcMwY

Explanation of the swiss format

For round 1 players get paired against random players. For winning a round, player gets 3 points (could be 1 points all the same but program I use gives 3 points for winning). For next rounds players get paired against other players with same score. So that means if you won first round, you are playing against someone who also won his first round. Or if you lost first round, you will play against someone who also lost first round. Sometimes players get paired up or down versus someone with different total score especially if there is weird amount of players participating. If there is odd amount of players, random player gets a “byeâ€, free win because he doesn't have an opponent. Byes are always received to players with lowest score but same player will never get two byes in same tournament.

After swiss rounds, top 4 players will advance into playoffs. Winner of swiss will face against 4th player of swiss standings and 2nd will play vs 3rd.

Example of pairings. Instead of "Player 1", there would be your OpenRA gamer tag.

Example of final standings of swiss.

Maps - Swiss

For swiss group stage, following maps are used.
  • Round 1: Aggressive Tendencies
  • Round 2: Pirates and Emperors
  • Round 3: Matchpoint
  • Round 4: Loud Pipes (only played if 9 or more players sign up for the tournament)
  • Round 5: Two Ponds (only played if 17 or more players sign up for the tournament)
All rounds of swiss will be best of one with 25 minute round time. After round time is up, you may still keep playing if you have your game in progress but if all games are over quickly, next round will not start before round time is over.

Players need to report their results immediately after finishing a game.

Maps – Semifinals and finals

Map pool
  • Pirates and Emperors (Psydev)
  • Two Ponds (sin)
  • Aggressive Tendencies (pulse)
  • Reasonable Doubt (pulse)
  • Badland Ridges (Echo of Damnation)
  • Matchpoint (ZxGanon)
  • Loud Pipes (Doomsday)
Semifinals will be best of three and finals will be best of five.

Players will flip a coin. Winner of coin flip may choose to go first or force the opponent to go first. Player who goes first permanently bans a map from the map pool. Then the other player permanently bans another map from the map pool. Then players take in turns eliminating maps from the map pool until there is just one map left. Last remaining map will be played for game one.

For games after first game, loser of previous game gets to pick the map to be played next. However, he cannot choose a map banned before game one. Also, no map can be played twice.

Semifinals and finals don't have round time. Both semifinals are played simultaneously and finals start when both semifinals are done.

Game settings

Explored Map: On
Short Game: On
Fog of War: On
Crates: Off
Debug Menu: Off
Starting Cash: $5000
Tech Level: Unrestricted
Starting Units: MCV Only
Game Speed: Normal

Player spots have to be random. Players will have to pick faction they chose during registration.

Spectators

Players should always let streamers spectate their games. Players are free to decide if they want to have their games enabled for non-streamers. Tournament organizers support players to play with no spectators allowed or with low amount of spectators because of less lag and therefore better quality of games.

Streaming and casting

Anyone that wishes to stream and cast games may do so. However, streamers are required to add minimum of 2 minute stream delay.

Showing up late

If you are not around when new round starts, you have five minutes to show up or your opponent gets a free win.

Disconnecting during a match

Players decide between themselves the outcome of a disconnected game. Players should always report a disconnect to a judge. If players cannot come to an agreement, judge will watch replay and based on replay, choose winner of the game or if the game will be restarted.

Rules penalties

If a rule has been broken, it is also the opponent's responsibility to spot the mistake. If a mistake has been made and game has been played for more than two minutes, players keep playing. Example: players accidentally have crates on in options but they don't notice it during the first two minutes. Players tell judge about rule incident but keep playing the game as if nothing happened – it would be too late to correct the mistake at this point. Players can always pause the game, contact a judge and wait for judge call before unpausing if they are hesitant.

If you break a rule, you will get a warning. If you break the same rule second time during the same tournament, your opponent gets a single free win. All rule incidents will be recorded on “black book†document. If judges notice that a player is trying to abuse same rule constantly in black book, action can be taken.

Stream sniping or “ghosting†of any form are extremely forbidden (watching a stream of your game or having a friend spectating your game and helping you “map hackâ€. Stream sniping or ghosting will result a permanent ban for OpenRA Swiss Tournaments.

Players are expected to have good manners at all times. Judges' word is final and judges have the power to use their supreme power and disqualify and/or ban players from future OpenRA Swiss Tournaments.

Head judge of the tournament is Doomsday.

Prizes for winners
Fortune and fame. Or actually no fortune and just fame. Special tag on OpenRA Swiss Tournaments Discord server.

Games will be streamed on ZxGanon's twitch stream.
https://www.twitch.tv/zxganon_

This is a prototype tournament and all comments and criticism is appriciated from players and spectators of the stream.

Players

1. Blackened - random random action
2. Happy - GDI
3. Lorrydriver - random faction
4. STUKA - random faction
5. WhoCares - random faction
6. Kwendy - random faction
7. Mega Tank - GDI
8. mechANIC - Nod
9. Borgmo - random faction
10. JAW0M - Nod
11. Barf - random faction
Last edited by Doomsday on Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 23 times in total.
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
-Sun Tzu

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Nice to see some TD action!

Might going to be difficult to get enough players on such a short timeframe?
You can advertise it on https://www.reddit.com/r/openra/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/

Also ask Doomhammer & FiveAces to mention it on Saturday during the Finals a couple times?

You can also name a TD server with the tournament announcement (e.g.: "Monday 10th of July TD tournament, sign up @Sleipnirstuff Forum! - server")
And kindly ask the developers to announce the tournament in the Battlefield news, not sure if they will tho.
Last edited by noobmapmaker on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

JOo

Post by JOo »

oh its tiberian dawn ...

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

JOo wrote: oh its tiberian dawn ...
Don't worry. We are going to host RA tournaments in the future. TD was chosen because of two main reasons.
1) We want to have small amount of players for our first tournament.
2) TD is not getting much attention right now but we believe it's a great mod.
-Sun Tzu

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

Added explanation of swiss format section in original post.
-Sun Tzu

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

JOo wrote: oh its tiberian dawn ...

also, in!

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

Changed the time of the tournament to one hour earlier because time zones are hard.
-Sun Tzu

anjew

Re: TD Prototype Swiss Tournament

Post by anjew »

Fuck yeah, nice to see some more action. You can count me in, mate. Random Faction

Just a few points of feedback

I feel that all matches up to the final should be best of 3. TD game lengths fall between 3 minutes and 15 minutes on average. Losing your matches to recon bike rush in 3 minutes is really shitty when you dont have a second chance.
Doomsday wrote: Matchpoint
Interesting map choice. Not that I think its a bad map, it's just quite new
Doomsday wrote: Players will flip a coin.
Perhaps a third party should flip the coin :p
Doomsday wrote: Starting Units: MCV Only
In TD starting units have been adjusted and balanced .I suggest light support, personally. Most of the top players play with it, it enables more options (doesnt force barracks opening) and makes early game scouting possible.
Doomsday wrote: Head judge of the tournament is Doomsday.
Congrats!

Doomsday

Re: TD Prototype Swiss Tournament

Post by Doomsday »

anjew wrote: I feel that all matches up to the final should be best of 3. TD game lengths fall between 3 minutes and 15 minutes on average. Losing your matches to recon bike rush in 3 minutes is really shitty when you dont have a second chance.
I am aware of this fact. Players basically need to be X-1 in order to advance to playoffs and one loss will not make or break a player's tournament result. Originally I planned to have best of three for swiss rounds but changed it to BO1 in order to make the tournament quicker.
anjew wrote:
Doomsday wrote: Players will flip a coin.
Perhaps a third party should flip the coin :p
Discord server has a dice roller app. Anyway /roll x feature for lobby chat would be nice feature for OpenRA future releases.

anjew wrote:
Doomsday wrote: Starting Units: MCV Only
In TD starting units have been adjusted and balanced .I suggest light support, personally. Most of the top players play with it, it enables more options (doesnt force barracks opening) and makes early game scouting possible.
I haven't played much TD so I let ZxGanon decide it. He heavily prefers MCV only but I understand your point. I could maybe change this if more players agree with you.
-Sun Tzu

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

Blackened wrote: also, in!
What faction are you playing with? I put you on random for now as a placeholder.
-Sun Tzu

ZxGanon

Post by ZxGanon »

MCV only will be the rule for this tournament.
I had my reasons to decide that but this is no section to discuss that here.

Anyway if this tournament turns out to be absolutly random because of that rule it is gonna be changed for the next one for sure.

But for now we keep it.

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

Doomsday wrote: What faction are you playing with? I put you on random for now as a placeholder.
Always random :)

STUKA

Post by STUKA »

Count me in, STUKA; Random Faction

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

I will not leave playing tournament on a (anticipated) failure, i'm signing right away for another one !

Count me in (and if you have too much participant i will let my spot)

random because i want an excuse for losing so hardly

ZxGanon

Post by ZxGanon »

WhoCares wrote: Count me in (and if you have too much participant i will let my spot)
We have no spots in that regard. We can in theory take an infinite ammount of people if we want to. That´s the good part of the swiss tournament. :D