Map Design Contest 2017 - Entries (closed)

Currently: 64 entries, 21 revisions, 4 streams

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
Materianer

Post by Materianer »

http://resource.openra.net/maps/19095/ ...

You can see if a map is already on resource center under Similar maps
also you can search for the map name.
Best you write it next time in red and size 30 that already uploaded map are not allowed ;)

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Thanks for spotting! Will check the similar maps, indeed. The map has been retracted.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

RadicalEdward2

Post by RadicalEdward2 »

#42 is missing a download link

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Fixed! Thanks.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

44 map entries so far and 10 more days for the contest.

By comparison the 2016 map contest had 37 at the closing date.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

And the entryphase was 3 months long! This edition we 'only' have 2 months...

Imo we're reaching the max amount of maps. Afterwards Ill put up an evaluation thread where we can discuss how to do it next time. Perhaps there are other set ups that limit time and effort AND achieve good quality maps.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Entry #59: A Gentlemen's Duel: http://resource.openra.net/maps/19635/

Entry #23: Six Below Zero: http://resource.openra.net/maps/19508/

These maps has some interesting errors - the ridge edges are systematically distorted throughout the maps. It's so weird I can't imagine the author have made this mistake by negligence.

example:

Wouldn't judge the maps negatively on it but it should be fixed regardless. Looks like quite a bit of time has been spent on these maps already.

MustaphaTR

Post by MustaphaTR »

I was working on another SP mission map but couldn't finish in time unfortunately. As it became clear that i won't finish it, i moved the map to bleed as i was having some issues that are fixed for new version. I'll finish and release it anyway. I think it'll be a cool map, it still needs lots of work.

RadicalEdward2

Post by RadicalEdward2 »

SoScared wrote: Entry #59: A Gentlemen's Duel: http://resource.openra.net/maps/19635/

Entry #23: Six Below Zero: http://resource.openra.net/maps/19508/

These maps has some interesting errors - the ridge edges are systematically distorted throughout the maps. It's so weird I can't imagine the author have made this mistake by negligence.

example:

Wouldn't judge the maps negatively on it but it should be fixed regardless. Looks like quite a bit of time has been spent on these maps already.
I think sometimes, that kind of error is intentional (referring more to the one on the right). It's not my map but, when I make maps, I tend to corner corners by doing that ONLY if there is an uneven number of tiles (using 2x2 cliff tiles and somehow ending up with a 1x2 at the end) on a large land formation that's enclosed. I would do that by trying to copy tiles that would blend in the most in the 1x2 area.

The trick it to find a tile that blends in the most (if you want a formation to be a very specific shape). It's easier on the Temperate tile set.

As for that spot on the left, no clue what happened there. Unless the person forgot to check all the tiles before submitting.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Allright people the entryphase has come to an end!

First of all a big thanks to all who have created the maps! You have come in great numbers and the maps look great and all have elements that make them unique. Also a big thanks to SoScared for the streams, a pleasure to watch.

Next up: the phreezephase! Download the mappacks and play those maps! Upload fun replays to Gamereplays.org/Openra (don't forget to link the map in the resource center in the comments and use a smurfname), discuss what you like and dislike about maps (in a respectfull manner) and play them maps to shreds.

Map Packs

These are the mappacks for the specific mods. They contain the latest revisions for each map.
- Red Alert maps
- Tiberian Dawn maps
- Dune2000 maps

Some stats

27 Map Creaters submitted a total of 64 maps.

Mods
RA = 48 maps
TD = 14 maps
Dune2000 = 2 maps

Categories
1v1 = 40
2v2 = 7
Big Map = 8
FFA = 5
Modded multiplayer map = 3
Single player Mission = 1

Upcoming phases

Freeze Period: 1st of March - 15th of March. Maps can no longer be revised. These two weeks can be used by everyone to play the maps and find out how good the maps really are.
Voting phase: 16th of March - March 30th. People who have been a member on Sleipnir before 1st of January 2017 can vote on 3 of their favourite maps and the judges get time to judge.
Results: 31st of March the winners will be presented.
Evaluation: 1st of April and after

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

WooooO! 64 new maps !! :drunk:

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

noobmapmaker wrote: Next up: the phreezephase! Download the mappacks and play those maps! Upload fun replays to Gamereplays.org/Openra (don't forget to link the map in the resource center in the comments and use a smurfname)
I disagree with the smurfname. If we're to discuss the quality of the map, I want to know who I am talking to.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Yeah, that was not really clear on my side. People need not to discuss with a smurfname. But if a mapcreater plays his own map then one could use a smurf. Play the game(s) with a smurfname, upload under your own name, preferably upload a couple more contestmapreplays - all this to keep it somewhat vague who made which map.

Not a huge disaster if a couple people can derive who made a map, but let's try to keep it as anonymous as possible.

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

Hi,
some criticism on maps that did not make it to my list / top spots only because of small things:

polar disorder, dominator: too many derricks
sirrocco: not enough eye candy
bielefeld black ops: the nuke truck is too much

Cheers,
and thanks to NMM and all the reviewers for their hard work^^

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

I think the next time we do one of these we should separate non-competitive maps from competitive ones. That way competitive maps can receive closer scrutiny.