Big Team Tournament

Thread A

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.

Game Speed for ALL tournament games

Normal
61%
Faster
39%
Fastest
No votes

Total votes: 23

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

what I really liked previous time was the timeframes in which we had the casts and captains/players online.

Perhaps also grant the freedom to play outside these timewindows, but everyone being online and fighting and sh*t was really fun. It would be polite to sometime change the timeframe so that it is convenient for our fellow USA-players.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

Ripsn

Post by Ripsn »

Deputy captains : No. there will be enough officials to work alongside the team captains to make things smoooooth.

Casting timeframes: there will be A VERY LARGE FREAKIN AMOUNT of effort put into the casting side of this tournament. conversation with casters about what they would like to see has already begun behind the scenes.
we will make the casting the best it can be.

Date: August seems a bit far away in my opinion. the release will be not quite so new.
but i would like to try and avoid stepping on any other tournament holders toes.... and august would give us plenty of time to plan every little detail perfectly, right down to the flavor of soup and the color of the bowl.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

As for flavored soup I'll rework an intro vid I made for the Big Team Tournament 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4kSHaJaImo

It will be available for anyone streaming or making vods related to the tournament.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Is this not better to do in the fall/winter? We're having several tournaments and leagues at the moment. Adding 2 more in the summer might overask our competitive players and perhaps it's nice to keep something for later.

And isn't a big team tournament a good warm up event for those cold winter nights? I bet more people will play and watch.

*edit: doing a tag team tournament every new official release sounds good, but imo it does not need to be right after release. 4-5 months later is fine too.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

SoScared wrote: Big Team Tournament 2014: 37 matches in 6 weeks - tournament cancelled

Big Team Tournament 2015: 61 matches in 1 week - great success

Big Team Tournament 2016: 100 matches per hour - broke OpenRA
I did the math: over 9000 games!

Ripsn

Post by Ripsn »

Tournament will be in the winter for me....

big team tournament is a staple diet of the openra community. giving all the players NOT interested in playing strict 1v1 tournaments or leagues or whatever a chance to join in some tourny action.

Big Team Tourny is not STRICTLY for competitive players. quite the opposite. big team tournament is for fun mess around laughable awesomeness

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Hmm I reckon there will not be anyone organising a tournament between September and December except for the Global league. Having Doomhammers tournament quickly followed by the tag team tournament feels like an overkill to me. I really think keeping a more relaxed schedule fits the current player numbers much more. First because it's better to spread special happenings like Doomhammers tournament and the Tag Team Tournament, second because players and audience can grow tired of continuous competitive play.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Ripsn wrote: Big Team Tourny is not STRICTLY for competitive players. quite the opposite. big team tournament is for fun mess around laughable awesomeness
I think this encapsulates what the BTT is about. Bringing all the competitive players together with all of the casual players of the community and mucking about a bit. Sure, there will be a bit of competitiveness mixed in with the points system and all but the BTT could be the break that OpenRA needs from the RAGL and DoomysTourney :lol:

But i know what its like to have an OpenRA overload and for some of the players involved in said tourneys it could be too much. If no other time is suitable then i think this one will do :)

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Just a random question: Will minigames like dropzone count as well? :D

Ripsn

Post by Ripsn »

2 v 2 Fort lonestar? GREAT IDEA! ( not gonna happen)
=P

NOONEs tournaments are going to step on anyone elses tournaments.
There will be no rules about not playing any matches for other tournaments During BTT. so even if we get a crossover...no big deal.

SoScared and DoomHammer both 'Run a tight ship' which gets results and works well. they are having much better luck than i ever did.
this will tie in nicely to our alternative format, if the situation should eventuate

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Ripsn wrote: 2 v 2 Fort lonestar? GREAT IDEA! ( not gonna happen)
=P
Well, okay, Fort Lonestar might not be the best choice for PvP. :P
I just thought... like in theory you could do 4v4s on the dropzone maps. ^^

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Pardon my persistence, but I really think postponing this tournament to a later time is good for the tournament and OpenRA:

> The players dont get an overkill in tournaments
> The organisers and casters get some spare time -allthough I am not to judge if they can handle it or not
> The audience gets a break. To much "must watch OpenRA" in a short time may dilute viewernumbers
> We dont shoot all our guns at once, and keep some fun stuff for later this year

I understand that the BTT is a whole different format, also geared towards the lesser competitive players. But imo the community is still to small to run several tournaments aside or right after eachother. Every tournament deserves full focus from both the players, the audience and the casters. With some time in between (even just 2 weeks or a month) gives everyone the time to regain focus and play the tourneys with fresh motivation.

If no one else agrees then lets play the tournament! Dont want to be annoying, just want the tournaments to be a succes.