Next tournament (Have Faith)

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
Ripsn

Next tournament (Have Faith)

Post by Ripsn »

As per usual. Silly things and silly mistakes killed the last tournament and robbed us of what could have been an AWESOME final.
This is directly due to No-Shows and a points total that was too high.

So having learnt from another batch of mistakes. I am going to plan the next tournament .
i will be cautious and start thinking things through a bit more. i will try and organize some incentives for entering / showing up to games. i will consult more and i will be more patient with decisions and planning (i rushed some things through just to get it all done in time)

but having said that, i need to put out an official request for someone to take on a more active roll in helping me set this thing up.

[font=Times New Roman][align=center]Main Item[/align][/font]
I need to start getting some ideas through / feed back in from last tournament (what worked for you players and what didnt)
Do we want to keep with the same 2 team rivalry, with a smaller win total?
more teams?
Something completely new.
i will add ideas given to this post so we get as much discussion as possible going.

Cheers
Ripley`

PersianImmortal

Re: Next tournament (Have Faith)

Post by PersianImmortal »

Abolished wrote: As per usual. Silly things and silly mistakes killed the last tournament and robbed us of what could have been an AWESOME final.
This is directly due to No-Shows and a points total that was too high.

So having learnt from another batch of mistakes. I am going to plan the next tournament .
i will be cautious and start thinking things through a bit more. i will try and organize some incentives for entering / showing up to games. i will consult more and i will be more patient with decisions and planning (i rushed some things through just to get it all done in time)

but having said that, i need to put out an official request for someone to take on a more active roll in helping me set this thing up.

[font=Times New Roman][align=center]Main Item[/align][/font]
I need to start getting some ideas through / feed back in from last tournament (what worked for you players and what didnt)
Do we want to keep with the same 2 team rivalry, with a smaller win total?
more teams?
Something completely new.
i will add ideas given to this post so we get as much discussion as possible going.

Cheers
Ripley`

Cash prizes
10 dollar entry
You don't show up you forfeit
Easy as that
#RealTalk

xan2622

Post by xan2622 »

Cash prizes
Cash prices can easily be added thanks to Bountysource.

You just have to create a new github issue with a summary of the tournament and once it's over the winner will be able to claim the Bounty (and get the money via Paypal).
Last edited by xan2622 on Sat May 17, 2014 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ripsn

Post by Ripsn »

Spreading a small win bounty between 2 / 3 / 4 players in a team seems high on the pointless but difficult scale.

and the tournaments are about playing the game and having fun within the community, not winning a small amount of cash prize.

but if enough people want it in and are willing to contribute, i am open to the idea

Matt

Re: Next tournament (Have Faith)

Post by Matt »

Abolished wrote: Silly things and silly mistakes killed the last tournament
Don't be so negative. It was an awesome tournament which gave us valuable feedback on how to improve game-play, remove exploits and a lot of promotional material thanks to those people recording videos of it.

AoAGeneral

Post by AoAGeneral »

I dont think cash prizes are a good idea at the moment. Since the tournaments are alot of fun and good way to spread the community for others to watch (( Myself included in watching SoScared's stuff )) I think we should have another tournament like the last one.

Of course, people not showing up is a big problem aswell. Im not entirely sure on how to add feedback to make an improvement since im not entirely sure on what happened to the last, but I do know RA has a bigger involvement.

The problem I think is there isnt enough TD and mix matching while seems good in the tournament, might be one sided or downsided for those who play alot of RA. Vice Versa aswell.

Perhaps one idea is to try and get people to sign up for random matches (( Not just for tournaments but though KEEP the tournament of course )) before the tournament due date and things and consider them as practice matches against those other players.

They can still be recorded and put up on the channel for others to watch as a preparation. SoScared's channel has a few random 4v4 and other team games that was commentaried by Nuke'em Bro and were rather good. I dont know if those were tournaments or just fun games.

They could be something familiar as such. For the TD however, I am not entirely sure on how to fit that. Im a TD player myself and pretty much hunt games for it when I get the chance.

(( Big wall of text is now over ))

PersianImmortal

Post by PersianImmortal »

Abolished wrote: Spreading a small win bounty between 2 / 3 / 4 players in a team seems high on the pointless but difficult scale.

and the tournaments are about playing the game and having fun within the community, not winning a small amount of cash prize.

but if enough people want it in and are willing to contribute, i am open to the idea
Turning 5 dollars into 50 is a decent incentive, and there is even more incentive to show up because if you don't you just wasted money.
that's my argument for cash, but it would be up to the community to decide.

Hiro

Post by Hiro »

I would also say chipping in $2-$5 for the prize pot could be a good incentive. It's not a serious amount of money, but even the idea of it being on the line would probably make players want to set up matches.

I also think setting up the matches in smaller teams as like a tournament ladder thing could be more affective, firstly because smaller teams makes the prize bigger for each player and also because smaller teams means each player can't just rely on someone else in their team stepping up to the plate as much.

For the TD thing, I think its cool but as AoAGeneral pointed out, it does disadvantage some players. What if the tournament was set up such that each "rung" up the tournament ladder was an alternating game mod? For example: teams duke it out in pairs on RA, then the winners duke it out in pairs on TD, then back to RA, etc. That way whatever team wins the tournament must be good at both game mods, but you can prepare for each game mod because you know it will be upcoming. What do y'all think?

zypres1

Post by zypres1 »

Bountysource it: Let ppl pay if the want. Say you take care of the money, 50% goes to prize money (I'de rather want gift, like socared's 3dprintet openrastuff), and rest goes to the organizers to handle how they want. Take some for the work, and also use some on trailer/soundtrack/ads/whatever...

zypres1

Post by zypres1 »

pay if and what you want.. Good way to make ppl know about bounty's that need some love..

Matt

Post by Matt »

I think adding a prize pot can be dangerous. My fear is, that it will just be a negative bounty: hack the game to win with cheats and earn money.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

(I'de rather want gift, like socared's 3dprintet openrastuff)
I could create a layout for a diploma, and we could arrange for a diploma signed by a tournament official to be mailed to the tournament winner.

Also I love the idea of prizemoney but I share Cmd. Matt concern for it to be a negative. Perhaps one day when we join MLG:D

Hiro

Post by Hiro »

Hmm the Commander makes a good point.

Perhaps some kind of digital reward like an artwork or something if someone in the community was willing to make it? Or a forum badge or something?

JOo

Post by JOo »

digital reward would be the best idea ...

but for that we need something like "accounts / statistic webpage " ... otherwise it just has not really any value ...

know what i mean ? , EAs Battelfield "statistics" work that way ...

i would love to make the badges / medals for our tournys .. but not until we have something like statistic - webpage or whatever ...

and for tournys we could make badges/medals for "participating on a tourny" (you get it only when the tournament itself is a success )

medals/badges for #1 - #3 ...

and you can look at it online , anytime you want , share the link to this ... profile with all your collected medals and badges ...

Matt

Post by Matt »

You may want to evaluate if http://openbadges.org/ is of use here.