As some of you pointed out it is not easy to have a good set of map ready to play when you need particular settings like the competitive players (1V1, 2V2, 3V3). In order to remedy to that situation, i took the initiative to create a consequent map pack of 82 maps in 4 categories :
- Competitive 1V1 : All the map that have been chosen in RAGL from Season 1 to Season 8 minus few of them plus some other good maps.
- Competitive 2V2 :
- Competitive 3V3
- Casual : 4v4 and more with casual settings.
- Lobby's options locked : Main options that are always the same, are locked, only engineer, speed and bounty are left accessible. difference between casual and competitive is crate on/off
- ERCC refinery 1.3 by FRenzy and Widow. The Refinery can be accessed by all directions or crossed by any unit
- Link to openra official discord server and ORAacademy discord server so more player can be aware.
- Additional info : each ragl map is specified wich season it was part of.
- An overlay to distinguish it from original maps
- A proper category to filter them in the map selection AR 1V1, AR 2V2, AR 3V3, AR Casual
[AR] Map Pack's direct download link .7z or [AR] Map Pack's direct download link .zip
In order to make such a map pack, I created 2 things to facilitate my life and the life of other map-modder :
- A cleaned map pack of "original maps"
- All maps have been renamed both file name and title to be consistent : Behind-the-Veil.oramap -> title : Behind The Veil
- They are ready to receive your additional files, yaml mod and overlay
- A script that will automate the modification of a file .oramap ; the "MapModder" script. But that is the next half of the topic.
For those who made by the past, modifications on maps to test some models, principles or just other game rules (balance changes) in yaml, you know how tedious it can be to apply your changes to 1 and even more tedious several files. In order to make your life (and mine) easier, i coded a tools that allows you to apply your modifications to a bunch of maps. Without further due, here a screenshot of the GUI before jumping in explanations :
This script will update all the maps you selected in the map folder according to the parameters chosen in the other fields. Result will be found in the result folder.
- Click on the "Select your map folder" button to select the folder where the map you wish to modify is located. By default the script is in "x\mapmodder_script\map"
- Click on the "Select your map files" button to select the folder where the map you wish to modify is located. By default the script is in "x\mapmodder_script\files"
- If no files are present or chosen, the script will not add any file to your .oramap and will proceed without issue
- Data in the "Rules" field will be appended to the end of the map.yaml file
- If left empty, nothing will be appended and the script will proceed without issue
- Data in the "Title" field will be appended to the file name and the original title in the map.yaml
- Example : if "Title" is filled with " [AR] ", Blitz.oramap will become Blitz[AR].oramap and the title line in the map.yaml will become: "Title : Blitz[AR]"
- If left empty, Title and filename will remain the same and the script will proceed without issue
- Data in "Category" field will replace the category in the map.yaml
- Example : if "Category" is filled with " AR 1V1 " then, in the map.yaml, "Category : conquest" will become "Category : AR 1V1"
- If left empty, "Category" will remain the same and the script will proceed without issue
- The script is able to resize and merge an overlay file with the original map.png
- In order to do so, you will need to create an overlay first. It is recommended to use a transparent background or you will just replace the original image.
- Once you have your overlay ready, no matter the size (recommended 200x200 for processing purpose) you can select it with the "Select your map preview overlay file" box
- The script will automatically display it. It will also resize and overlay it on the preview of the Blitz map to give you a visual of example of how your overlay will look on other maps.
- If an overlay file is selected then once the "Run script" button pressed, it will be applied to all of the map.png images of your map pack
- If no overlay is chosen, the script will proceed without issue
- - Once you are happy with your settings, hit "Run Script" and let the magic happen
- At any time you can hit one of the 2 cancel buttons - one will allow you to keep the files already processed, the other will delete everything and start again.
- On the MapModder forum topic, there is a link of a full map pack of virgin maps ready to be "modded", feel free to download and use it as a base for your future wonders
Mapmodder script direct download link
The script is made with AutoHotkey
The script is a portable compiled version. It is composed of :
- An AHK script compiled in a .exe : That's the file you have to launch
- Two additional ahk library in a folder
- The main script under its AHK form in case you know what you are doing and not afraid of my poor quality coding
- A portable version of imagemagick the script will call for all image processing.
- A portable version of 7z the script will call for all archive management.
- Some png files the script will use.
- Some folders for file processing.
I didn't reinvent the wheel here. I'm just sharing something what originally was just supposed to be for my own use. My coding skills are very limited and I always feel very little the moment i open topics with big boys scripting when i look around to solve my baby-coding issues. Nevertheless, despite it's limitations, this script helped me a lot and I hope it will do the same for you.
I remain at your disposal for any question, sugestions or anything else.