Balance Testing - Success, or failure? No signs of failure

No review/feedback against these changes, plenty for them

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
CatGirls420

Balance Testing - Success, or failure? No signs of failure

Post by CatGirls420 »

CG420v36

:D :shifty: :eek: :zip: :? :P Changes made by: CatGirls420 aka NerevarII

= = = Big thanks to the community for all the help testing and playing my maps and providing feedback. = = =

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Special thanks to Eloyros aka KOYK for help figuring some things out and getting some stuff to work properly. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

!! Lastly, thank you to the developers and contributing community members for making the OpenRA project a success. !!

;)

Downloads:

Latest version is 41 and 41.1

Simply go to my profile: https://resource.openra.net/maps/uploader/1680/

41 and 41.1 are basically the same. The Anti-Sea Gun Turret is broken in both, 41.1 attempted to fix that, but failed. Next version will have it fixed.

v37 Changelog/notes.
They are changes made from v36.
I made slight deviations from some of these, but nothing to worry about.

v37

-hijacker to capture huskss +++++
-MAD Tank release grenadiers instead
-reduce radar jammer area by 1/2 (the larger value one) +++++
-slow rocket fire rate by 10% and projectile speed by 15% +++++
-slow v2 projectile speed by 20% and fire rate by 10% +++++
-decrease medic heal amount by 25%, set range to 3.5-4 cells, increase aoe by ~10% +++++

-increase longbow and mig aa range by 25% and dmgs +++++
-longbow aa dmg +10% and fire rate -10% +++++
-mig aa burst to 2 instead of 4, dmg +20%, speed +20%, fire rate -10% +++++
-increase flak ground aoe +10-20% +++++
-set msub aa range to 14 cells, increase proj speed +25% +++++
-demo truck require nuke silo, reduce move speed -25% +++++

-increase light/med tanks dmg against light armor by 15-20% +++++
-paradrop only drop 7 units , why? +++++
-decrease badger bomb dmg +++++
-give church healall with decent radius +++++
-make hospitals drop hostile medics and infantry upon death +++++

-reduce mammoth heal amount by 50-75%% +++++
-reduce ore truck heal amount -80-90% +++++
-autotargetpriority trait for units e.g. rifles auto infantry first +++++
-give flaks longer ground fire range, maybe 15% more health, larger aoe +++++
-slow heavy tank turret turn rate +++++

-increase allied tanks move speed again +++++
-sam site fire rate -10%, proj speed +10% +++++
-slow v2 fire rate -10-15% +++++
-reduce v2 move speed -10-20% +++++
-reduce v2 and arty aoe -15% +++++
-remove bounty? +++++
-fakes build off of fakes +++++
-check range of gunboat and dd vs ground, might need increase +++++
-increase depth charge aoe, proj speed, and fire rate +++++
-increase depth charge dmg +25%, fire rate +10%, proj. speed +10%, AOE +25% +++++
-light tank +1 to dmg, -1 to fire rate +++++
-nerf mammoth tank dmg vs buildings -25% +++++
-increase longbow and mig aa dmg +25% +++++
-increase msub n cruiser gap penetration +++++
-slow torp proj. speed -15% +++++
-reduce sub hp -10% +++++

. .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anyway, onto the changes:

As of April 10, 2018, the latest version is CG420v37. The list of changes provided is incomplete, but will be added to, once I have time. Sorry, my life does not revolve around this :P

CG420 Map Mods - Balancing Editions
Latest version: 37

Changes:

[align=center]Table of Contents
(use the search/word-find in your browser and search for the marker of the section you want, for example, "cg3a")

cg1.) MiG Anti Air

cg2a.) Allied Anti-Air
cg2b.) Soviet Anti-Air

cg3a.) Allied Vehicles -Contains 1 Subsection "GAP"-
cg3b.) Allied Infantry, Naval, Air
cg3c.) Allied Structures, Defenses

cg4.) General Changes

cg5a.)Soviets to hinds (uh-oh)
cg5b.) Soviet Units 2[/align]

. . . . . . . . . . *

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . cg1.) MiG Anti-Air.

MiGs have been given anti air for a few reasons. It helps cover the effectiveness gap of Flaks. Flaks are good anti-air, but they are thwarted by any type of obstacle. If there's a large enough obstacle, it's rendered useless. But wait! Don't panick, just chase the enemy air unit with your very own Anti-Air equipped MiG!

Out on a sniping mission? Have all your Flaks died, and you can't build more quick enough? Have you forgotten to build Flaks? Simply call back your MiGs and send them to eliminate the threat!

SAM Sites are laughable. Turn the atmosphere into a more serious one with AA MiGs! Just be careful of enemy Allied Longbows, they received an anti air buff ;)

. . . . . . . . . . *

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . cg2a.) Allied anti-air means:

Naval AA have been buffed, AA Gun has been nerfed, and Longbow AA buffed.
In terms of Naval AA, destroyers have longer range and faster projectile speed, as well as doing slightly more damage.

The AA Gun has been a huge AOE (Area of Effect) and has been nerfed in damage, turn rate, range, and more. The sight radius has been fixed, and AA Guns can now shoot as far as they can see. No longer will a single AA Gun destroy a horder of air units and deny an entire area. Now, you need a few to deny an area. You now have to consider when and where to scout more often, and decide how much you are willing to invest in anti-air defense.

Longbow AA has been buffed in terms of fire rate, range, and ammo.

. . . . . . . . . . *

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . cg2b.) Soviet Anti-Air Means:

Flaks, SAMs, Missile Subs, and MiGs: the new soviet anti-air arsenal.

Flaks have been buffed for sight range, and slightly nerfed against air units, and has increased firing range.

Missile Sub AA has been buffed in both range and missile speed.

MiGs have been upgraded, at the measely +400 cost to it's price tag. Slight improvement to speed and turn rate, as well as weapon ranges, and....are those....those shiny new anti-air missiles? Yes, indeed they are. The soviets new anti-air option, MiGs! Of course, you will need to invest in other means of anti air, but at least now, if the terrain or ocean thwarts your flaks, you can chase with MiGs. No Missile Subs? No worries! MiGs.

. . . . . . . . . . *

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . c3a.) Allied Vehicles:

Allied tanks, such as the Light and Medium Tanks, have been given a speed boost to both movement and fire rate.Light Tanks now have a use other than harass/rushing enemy buildings. They are now effective against infantry! They are effective against light armor, so they can still snipe artillery and v2's with ease. Just watch out for base defenses and anything else ;) The sacrifice of a small amount of damage vs buildings (wood) to be more effective at anti-infantry.

Chrono tanks have been beefed up and the price tag raised to 2400. Why? They have heavy armor now instead of light, can chronoshift longer distances and more often, comes equipped with anti-air missiles, and has a small bonus to both damage and health. Results may vary (Hint: mechanics seem like they might have a uise here)

Jeeps can now carry two units (no shooting while driving) and received a small speed and sight bonus.

Artillery has been nerfed vs infantry, with the tradeoff being a small bonus vs heavy armor, a decent bonus vs light armor, and is easier to kill. The move and turn speeds have been reduced. Now, artillery remain effective, while not being overpowered. 3 artillery should not wipe out hordes of infantry in seconds. 5 seems like a more just number, and if people spam, at least the spam is easier to stop now.

. . . . . . . . . . *

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . *

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . *

[align=center]==== Gap Subsection ====

Mobile Gap and Gap Generators have been given a nice increase in shroud coverage. Scouting units, and units with a high line of sight, will penetrate further into the Gap Fields. Some with high vision, like cruisers, will not penetrate too far. This allows a larger gap (pun not intended) to implement more varied strategies/tactics.

============[/align]

. . . . . . . . . . *

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . c3b.) Allied Infantry, Naval, and Air:

Mechanics and medics slightly buffed to make them worth the price tag. Better healing/repairs.

I think Tanya only received a slight health boost.

Spies have increased sight range, British spies have greater increased sight range, are 50 credits cheaper, and you can feel like James Bond using them.

Cruisers now have 25 cell range, instead of 20. This allows further usefulness on naval maps and non naval maps which offer little water.

Remember how useless destroyers and gunboats were vs land units? Yeah, me too. I washed those bad memories away with the new improved cg420 Destroyers and Gunboats! They shouldn't be your primary anti-land units, but at least now they'll be able to deal a fair amount of damage to the enemy on land.

Hinds and Longbows have been given slight move speed, fire speed, and ammo capacity bonuses.

. . . . . . . . . . *

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . cg3c.) Allied Structures/Defenses:

Pill boxes can now hold 2 infantry of any kind. They both come with one rifleman and one rocketman. Both units attack only the same target. Price increased by 300 for both. This change makes the balance to flame towers something along of:
Pills: (before) strong vs infantry - (after) strong vs infantry, decent vs vehicles, decent vs buildings.

Flame Tower: (before) Decent vs infantry, strong vs buildings, weak vs vehicles.

(after) Strong-ish vs infantry, strong vs buildings, decent vs vehicles.

Both infantry inside only attack one target (the same target together) to prevent it being overpowered by being able to attack both infantry and vehicles simultaneously.

An added bonus is they can attack air now. It's quite horrible for anti-air defense, but it's better than nothing!

Gun Turret shoots slightly faster.

Fake structures are now harder to kill.

Allied Tech Center provides greater sight, and has slightly more health.

. . . . . . . . . . *

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . cg4.) General Changes:

MCV and ConYard have greater health. Build radius increased, movement speed slightly increased.

All defenses have +20% health.

Production limit has been set to 9, instead of 4, for everything (barracks, helipad, construction yard, ect). The maximum time reduction for each type of queue is variable between 70%-80%. This allows more playstyles without breaking the game. It makes the incentive to invest in production vs tech greater, but doesn't shy you away from teching up either. To prevent this being overpowered, players receive a nice chunk of time reduction, and the amount gained for each new production structure decreases more and more.

Radar Domes now provide 14 cells of vision! It is now worth it to buy a forward radar dome, to protect you from sneak attacks and see it coming before it hits, or any attack, or even if someone has annoying spammed arty/v2, at least you can see them and fire back with ease. Just be sure to have a backup Radar Dome, because it's quite vulnerable on the front lines.

Communication Center has been given a sight range of 20 cells! The amount given before was no incentive to capture it, unless you had no opposition grabbing it. It wasn't worth wasting units battling over, but now it is. Some players even go as far as killing it. Many possibilities.

All land, sea, and air transport vehicles can carry more units. For the sea transport, vehicle weight comes into play. The heavier the vehicle, the more slots it fills up. This prevents 20 fully loaded apcs being dropped on your shore with just one transport :p

. . . . . . . . . . *

[align=center]==== Misc. Subsection ====

Nuke Truck radius has been decreased, but now all that damage is packed into a tighter area; more damage to things but in a much smaller area. This prevents the entire loss of an army due to, well, one of many reasons. Now, you'll lose a nice portion, and be left with a force to fight on with.

Badger Bomber has been made more game changing. All Badgers have increased health and slightly increased speed, but badger bombers now travel a length of 10 cells and do a lot more damage. Nothing too extreme though.

Spy Plane has a huge reveal radius, flies faster.

All base defenses and most units have slightly increased sight and weapon ranges.

Stealth detection ranges for almost everything slightly increased.

= = = = = = = = = =
[/align]

. . . . . . . . . . *

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . cg5a.) Hinds To Soviets:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Just kidding.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Soviet Units 1:

Heavy and Mammoth tanks are all around slower, but make up for that with slightly more health and more damage.

Others tanks slightly buffed/nerfed.

V2 range increased, and sacrifices a little damage vs vehicles and structure for damage vs infantry.

Submarines nerfed.

Flame Infantry strong vs infantry, and can be used effectively against them.
Increased HiJacker potential.

Shock Troopers cost increased to 700, and balanced accordingly. This ends the overpowered shockie spam.

Grenadiers now have a 10% chance to explode, and deal effective damage vs infantry. Now it's actually worth having in your blobs.

. . . . . . . . . . *

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . cg5b.) Soviet Units 2:
Last edited by CatGirls420 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.

zypres

Post by zypres »

I miss the crazy changes, with all sort of weird stuff

CatGirls420

Post by CatGirls420 »

Don't worry. A lot of people have been asking in-game about it and sometime soon I will re-release the "cancer" CG420 maps. I Might rename those to CGMod, instead of CG420, and keep CG420 for the balance testing.

CatGirls420

Post by CatGirls420 »

2 maps updated to v37 :)

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Didn't know this was here.

But now having read it, i do like some of the changes. However it does seem there's little need for many of them though. Don't get me wrong though, some of them could make openra a more dynamic game, and i think some of the other changes done by other people aren't any better either.

I still yet to see any out of the box thinking to fix the static play that is the arty/tesla walk which was still very prevelent in OG RA.

CatGirls420

Post by CatGirls420 »

CatGirls420

Post by CatGirls420 »

Updated post

CatGirls420

Post by CatGirls420 »

Does anyone here have any input on this? I'm slowly keeping track of the feedback I get since I wasn't at the beginning like I should have been, from in-game feedback.

CatGirls420

Post by CatGirls420 »

edit: I guarantee somehow people will try and burn me at the stake for posting this. Those people clearly can't handle opposition.

edit2: To everyone who has been nice to me and supportive, thank you. Although, I doubt any of you look at these forums. It's a shame, that the will of the few has to ruin the joy of the many. Even though most people don't have a problem with me, and enjoy my presence, there's too many toxic people in this community, that bear grudges unrelentingly.

Okay so clearly nobody on these forums cares about my maps. Yet they eat up and fall in love with other modders maps, who make virtually the same changes I do, with exceptions. Clearly, there's heavy bias against me.

SirCake for example, you can literally compare side by side my rules and his rules, and if you follow the chronology of both of our "balance changes", his pattern of changes follows right behind mine.

I make a change, then someone else follows that.

Could it all be mathematical coincidence? Highly unlikely.

Yet, virtually every person who has played my maps, enjoy my balance changes, and even think they are better than default openra balance.

If you want proof, join a match of one of my maps, or try it yourself, I can even provide screenshots.

But I already know it's a waste of time, and it's quite sad that people from these forums, who told me my changes suck (not in forums, ingame or on discord) are complimenting those same changes by other modders.

It's obvious there's a heavy bias against me. And that's not right.

edit3: also what indicates there is heavy bias against me, is I will be minding my own business, and one of those people will always have something insulting to say, then I get blamed for firing back, but they get to walk off free. That makes no sense. It's like I'm the only one trying to be peaceful, and I get condemned for it. And, if any of you dealt with as much BS as I do IRL and in this community from a small group of people, you'd be reactionary too. That's a fact.

It's always "oh stop reacting" when people provoke me. No, wrong, how about, you tell them, to stop attacking me. Since, you know, that's the right thing to do, and how this world actually works.

Not sure why though. I've done so much for this community, like teaching people how to play, making maps people enjoy, investing a lot of time and effort testing changes and making whacky-fun maps, and for balance, hundreds of matches that prove what I'm saying.

I understand some people don't like me, nor get along with me, but that's another story. Mainly because I chose to fight back when I got treated like crap instead of taking it.

So, goodbye.

If I am to be treated this way, then you guys don't deserve my maps or my changes, or anything from me, really.

All I wanted was peace, and to mind my own business, but some people (whose names I won't mention) just can't let go. And it's been like this for a while. I always try and reason, get them to stop harassing me, yet they continue. Because "haha cg is so fun to trigger!" Hmm, didn't know that kind of behavior was acceptable in this community. Those people wanted to keep the drama alive and tarnish my reputation because "muh how dare he fight back, we should be dicks to him as much as we please and he should just take it!"

Yeah, cya.

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

I'm sorry you feel this way CG.
I'm sure the OpenRA community has learned with and evolved a lot from your contributions.
Wish you best of luck with your next project in life other than OpenRA! (whatever that may be) ;)
Cheers.

Check out Dune2k-Advanced on my moddb page!

CatGirls420

Post by CatGirls420 »

Don't worry I don't have anything against you SirCake.

And thank you.