New PRs around air units and AA, thoughts?

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
CatGirls420

New PRs around air units and AA, thoughts?

Post by CatGirls420 »

Link: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pulls

So those 4 PRs, what are your thoughts?

My own is that the AA MiGs can pick up where Flaks fail, like cliffs, water, or simply not having any flaks.

I boosted SAM Site range to make it more effective, and reduced AA Gun damage to make it less overpowered. AA Guns are not supposed to be an absolute defense, SOME air units should get past them, unless there's enough AA Guns. For a single AA Gun to deny an entire airspace, is ridiculous. Now, you'll require 2-3 AA Guns instead of 1, to deny a flock of air units.

Either that, or simply increase the cost of them. The cost of an AA Gun is much cheaper than losing 8 Yaks, or 5 MiGs, or, whatever.

Maybe we could make base defenses absolute against ground units? 1 Gun Turret fending off 7 heavy tanks, one pill box killing 200 soldiers. Jk.

The changes also make MiGs and Longbows more effective vs vehicles, and infantry slightly. Currently, in base game, only Yaks and Hinds can one-shot artillery/v2s, but now with these changes, MiGs and Longbows are useful for that.

Longbow AA range is also increased, and allied AA for land, sea, and air, is improved. Although, I don't think land got much improvement....

Anyway, what are peoples thoughts on these PRs?

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

Hey CG, it is customary to first discuss and then make PR's, not the other way around.

Especially balance topics, since everyone (even people who don't know what they are doing or talking about) has their own oppinion.
Also there is Smitty, who is in charge of the RA balance atm, he is in charge to shield the developers from unneccessary and contradictory balance attempts. He is the ONLY one allowed to make balance PR's for the official release.

Like this your PR's have zero chance to get trough, please withdraw them.

Check out Dune2k-Advanced on my moddb page!

CatGirls420

Post by CatGirls420 »

Only he is allowed? That doesn't seem very conducive. Maybe something contradictory would benefit the game. But, I do apologize. I'm a total noob when it comes to GitHub, I'm still learning the ropes. Thank you for letting me know!

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

As far as balance is concerned, it is very productive to have a distinctive person or a distinctive group of people being in head, and every change is then either implemented by them or is channeled through them on GH. This way makes it possible to contain balance consistency and proper flow control, otherwise bad things like mutually exclusive changes can happen.

Previously this role for RA mod was held by SoScared, now it's Smitty (in a way because noone else took SoScared's place back then) and he has people's confidence in this role.

I wouldn't say "he is the only one allowed", but definitely he now has certain legitimacy among devteam to have his changes accepted.

CatGirls420

Post by CatGirls420 »

Well that makes sense. As long as it's not a dictatorship and he considers other people's ideas, the game can truly grow. Now whether he accepts or denies those idea's, is up to him, which is fine. Some kind of consistency has to be assured and so far it seems like thing's are working out.