RA classic

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
hamb

RA classic

Post by hamb »

Hi everyone!

I've begun work on a "RA classic" mod in light of the current mod situation. I don't see this as a replacement for the current RA mod or the original game. As the current RA mod has grown over the greater part of a decade, I feel this allows for a classic RA mod to exist. One of its goals is to feel closer to the original game, with extra goodies.

The mod name is tentative as I don't want to mislead anyone outside of the community. Will update this post as things progress.

What's done:
- Soviet and Allies faction.
- Restored original tech tree.
- Restored units back to their original faction (allied APC, soviet Hind / Tanya, both faction Chinook).
- Temporarily disabled expansion units, spies, fake buildings.

What's planned:
- Original game engineer, thief, mechanic, spy, etc behavior.
- Restored original units: mine layers, radar jammer, despite how useless these are.
- Restored original game values, with potential documented tweaks for any fine tuning or balance improvements. The original RA balance is a bit of a mess.
- Restored expansion units, with an option to enable expansion content.

What's notably different from OpenRA's RA mod, planned:
- No countries, likely to see these return similar to the originals.
- No build radius, likely to see this appear as an option.
- No mobile flak, hijacker, supply truck, certain spy behavior, etc; thief is back.
- No pillbox or jeep passenger, or camo pillbox cloak
- No GPS dots, bounties, external engineer capturing
- Guaranteed infantry squishes
- No power toggle for buildings
- Buildings and defenses share a queue

What's notably different from the original RA (for those not familiar with OpenRA):
- Fog of war is present, and an option.
- Pathfinding, unit movement.
- Helipads do not spawn with a faction-specific helicopter this may be reverted to original behavior
- Planes do not return to base when idle; Helicopters do not land when idle. Old RA air is a mess, this may be reverted to original behavior, or may not.
- Walls build in line mode, this may be reverted to original behavior.
- "dogs are the best code in OpenRA engine", etc...

GitHub link: https://github.com/OpenRA/raclassic/

Can you help/test?
- Anyone interested can reply here, message me on IRC, or check out the TODO list on github ( https://github.com/OpenRA/raclassic/issues/1 ). I wouldn't mind extra hands to get this moving faster...

Want to try it?
- Feel free to download the GitHub repository as a zip, then run the appropriate make / launch commands. Will be easier in time as it's still early on.
Last edited by hamb on Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 8 times in total.

warman

Post by warman »

I'm looking forward to it. This would probably make a better starting point for the HD mod.

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Interesting :)

"Time for a little five finger discount"

I have no idea how to code or yaml etc. But can playtest if it helps.

I think this section doesn't get much traffic.