Realistic maps help

First swing at mapping

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
Apocc

Realistic maps help

Post by Apocc »

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I have recently rediscovered red alert through openRA and I'm totally hooked again.

I wanted to build a few realistic maps and tried so with making 8-Bit maps in the gimp (alternative to photoshop)to try and import, but that doesn't work. I have seen some realistic maps around and ive been told they used a script to compile it. However I have never done anything like that, so I was wondering if anyone could help me compile it OR just point me in the direction of where I can find information about it? Thanks a lot in advance!

Apocc

Post by Apocc »

Allright, since noone replied to this. I tried doing it the hard way.

1 tile in the map editor equals 1 px

So if you have a map that is 128x128, that literally is 128px by 128px

What I did is, I copied a piece of a map into a new file in the gimp 2, the new file was the size of the map I was using in openra editor. You can reshape the size of the existing map to fit the 128px by 128px file.

Then you enable grid and set gridsize to it's lowest size, wich is 1px. Then zoom in 400-500% so the "pixels" are much more visible and you can count them. Now, I colored all the water in a same colour blue and all the landmass into green. That way it was easier for me to see the contrast between both.

Then I started counting pixels and copying 1 per to the openra editor. It took a while, but in the end I got what I wanted.

I know it's a very simplistic way of making the map, if there are any better ways, plz do tell me.

I hope that my "approach" is usefull to someone and i'll gladly help out if you need more info or have questions!

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

This section of the forums tends to be a bit slower than the rest. It seems the best place to get your questions answered is IRC. Cuz I have no idea how to help you. :D