How to replace the map preview image in the lobby?

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
noobmapmaker

How to replace the map preview image in the lobby?

Post by noobmapmaker »

I'm trying to make a map with a different image as the preview image in the lobby.

So far I have saved my map as an unpacked .oramap. When I open it in the folder I see the map.jpg. I have opened that one and replaced it with an image of the same size and saved it.
If I then go to skirmish I do see the map with the new preview image. However, when I open it in the editor again and save it packed (as a .oramap) and check in skirmish then the old preview image is back.

Could it be that the editor automatically creates the image when I save it as a .oramap?

What is the correct procedure to replace the preview image?

And in a related Q: is it possible to also hide the starting spots from the preview?

Thanks!
(btw searched the mapping/modding forum for this but without result)
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

MustaphaTR

Post by MustaphaTR »

There is a LockPreview: tag you can add to map.yaml that stops editor from adding a new preview every time you save.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Thanks!

And do you by any chance know if it's possible to hide the startinglocations as well?

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Technically yes, but only for the whole mod as it seems (when you set ShowSpawnPoints to false on MapPreviewWidget in the chrome yaml).
So, sadly it's not really doable for a single map, except when you remove the spawn points like we do in missions. (You could then try to "randomly spawn" people using lua.)

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Remove the spawn point actors and the MPStartLocations and SpawnMPUnits traits, and then use lua to set the initial camera location for each player based on their player slot (not sure if this last part is possible on the currrent release).

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Ok, thanks! I think I'll leave the spawns visible then :)