Alternatives to civilian building garrisons?

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
fernoe

Alternatives to civilian building garrisons?

Post by fernoe »

I'm trying to come up with ideas for how garrisoning civilian buildings could be done in OpenRA, in a similar way to garrisoning in red alert 2. The current idea I'm working with works like this
- infantry who can garrison civilian buildings can ExternalCapture neutral buildings
- civilian buildings are ExternalCapturable
- civilian buildings can hold cargo and infantry inside can shoot out of them, but only infantry that can garrison will be allowed inside

So you would have to tell your infantry to steal civilian buildings, then once you have stolen one, your infantry can go inside. I might also have the buildings switch their image to a garrisoned building image if cargo>=1 and change the cursor for stealing buildings to a lock pick image.

Although I'm not sure if this is the best way to do this, is it possible to apply upgrades to a building when the cargo goes over a certain amount, so I can prevent occupied buildings being stolen but allow empty stolen buildings to be captured? Or should I allow enemies to capture other player's garrisoned buildings?

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

The best and only sensible option is:
- Write new trait/activity code to implement garrison logic properly and file a pull request.

GirlGamer

Post by GirlGamer »

see the code for the pillbox, copy it and use the visuals for the civ building...

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

GirlGamer wrote: see the code for the pillbox, copy it and use the visuals for the civ building...
good idea