Nomad Galaxy

Homeworld inspired mod for OpenRA.

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
Nolt

Nomad Galaxy

Post by Nolt »

Before doing this announcement, a big thanks to Graion Dilach and to ApolloTD, who gave their support and knowledge to make this project real. And now, I present to you, Nomad Galaxy:

As you can notice, this is a space mod built on the OpenRA engine, the project has two goals in mind, the first is to create a game that has not been seen in ORA before, and second, to create a game that is independent from any franchise.

The gameplay itself is a merge between Homeworld and Command and Conquer, your bases are now fleets which are no longer static, the buildings have been replaced with civilian ships that cover the basic needs of a fleet, like sensors, resourcing, production and tech, and you also have military ships that you have to use to defeat your opponent, these ships come on four sizes, similar to Homeworld (Fighters, Corvettes, Frigates and Capital ships). The game offers a simple rock paper scissors logic that has been always seen in these kinds of games.

Image Image
Image Image

The map themselves don’t have any barriers, but they are meant to be filled with anomalies or hazards, whether it’s asteroid traffic, nebulae, planets, unstable objects, it’s the player who must know where to place their forces to make sure he gets the maximum advantage from the environment.

Image Image

Finally, the factions, currently there is only one enabled but I have the plans to add two more into the game in a similar fashion to Conquest Frontier Wars or Starcraft, (Human, bug aliens, technological advanced aliens), these factions should have small differences between each other, mostly stat differences plus one special trait or ability here and there, but not too many, since that’s not all.

I also want to add a subfaction system to the mod, similar to how Emperor Battle for Dune did it, basically, you have a pool of mercenary factions that offer unique units each, and you are limited to select 2 each match, my goal here is to give each of the subfactions skills related to a topic that the main factions do not have, so say, one of the mercs is specialized in cloak technology, another is good for fortifying positions, and so on. Currently I have 4 of these sub factions, and wish to add more. So, this is it for now, I hope you enjoyed it.
Creator of Shattered Paradise and Nomad Galaxy. WARNING, there are tons of gifs on both pages.

Sire

Post by Sire »

Gotta say, this looks awesome! Even though I have no experience with Homeworld, I look forward to further developments.

Keep up the good work!

anjew

Post by anjew »

Looks amazing and quite well polished. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on it.

You speak as if Nomad Galaxy is available to get now. Is there a dowload link? Or can we expect to see a new addition to the mod chooser in the next release?

Nolt

Post by Nolt »

Thanks, imo it's only ready for the announcement, the mod is playable but it lacks a good chunk of content and balance, many things are work in progress and there are also some small bugs that I am not even sure if they will be fixed (mostly because I am forcing the game to do something other that what it was meant to do).

If you have interest on this, and you find me on IRC, give me a shout, I appreciate all the feedback as I want to make sure the game becomes good enough to keep players entertained for a while.
Creator of Shattered Paradise and Nomad Galaxy. WARNING, there are tons of gifs on both pages.

Minotaur

Post by Minotaur »

You may need to implement anti-blob ability/weapons.

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

Awesome man, Keep it up!

If possible, it would be cool to have a space station base with modular points to place turrets, repair bays, tech add-ons, etc, kinda like X-com interceptor or whatever that game was.

Nolt

Post by Nolt »

I gave it some thought, and your idea doesn't sound bad, the current planet capture system I had was shitty anyway, it was about capturing a planet by placing a "Tower" unit, had to get it near the planet, force attack it, and then it would create a station with some defences and it would give you a small amount of cash over time, and then it would "evolve" if left alive long enough, gaining more hp / cash earned / weapons, pretty boring imo.

Now with your idea I defined those brackets around the planet as valid areas to place platforms, the platforms are built from the station, which became a nerfed version of it's former self that does exactly what it did before, planets are now captured by carriers, either the light craft carrier (Patrol Cruiser) or the frigate carrier (Frigate Assembly Bay).

The current stations I set up now are.
Fighter Bay (Anti Fighter)
Heavy Weapons platform (anti frigate)
Repair Platform.
Sensor Array.
Trade Station (Another oil derrick)
Attachments
OpenRA-2017-03-19T190401370Z.png
OpenRA-2017-03-19T190401370Z.png (331.42 KiB) Viewed 7562 times

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

Awesome Nolt!

Do you have a link to a compiled version I could play around on?

Nolt

Post by Nolt »

Yup, I got a test build roaming somewhere, with my thesis there I haven't been able to do many updates lately, I am stuck modelling the human ships and doing some small game fixes here and there. If you could message me on OpenRA's discord, I could send you a wip version, https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6